questions

questions

Postby snowball » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:35 am

I looked at a truck yesterday...
now I am wondering how to know (where to find the information ) what a truck is rated to tow...
if I get this one it's from a owner.. so help me to understand where to locate the ratings...
this truck is a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel pickup dully crew cab with an exhaust fan think was what it was
actually had all I wanted and more...plus it is two wheel drive hard hard to find
what should I look at? this one had new tires, batteries less than a year the tranny was redone 3 years ago
the seats were in good shape a ding or two in the back bumper and gate...he used to tow horse trailer think it was a 4 horse trailer
with equipment to rodeo's now he has a big rig...
sheila
snowball

Re: questions

Postby avalen » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:33 am

I did a search on google
lots of links that have that info
https://www.google.com/#q=2004+dodge+ra ... g+capacity
I don't know what your fifth wheel weighs but the main link says up to 14,200
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Birdie » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:40 am

Sheila, there are some articles in the Escapees Forum addressing towing. I think you mentioned you have not weighed your 5er in quite sometime and you thought you might be close on weight limit. Check this out https://goo.gl/KAeXLn
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby brendac » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:43 pm

Sheila, the easiest way is to take the VIN # to a dodge service center and have them run the info through. It will give you lots of info all pertinent to towing etc...
“Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.”
Tennessee Williams
brendac

Postby MelissaD » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:25 pm

Sheila, open the drivers door and there should be a sticker in the door bottom right corner of the jamb or on the door that will list the gross vehicle rating (GVWR) of that vehicle from the manufacture. Looks something like this.
The tire specs and rating and recommended tire pressures will also be on this sticker. It will probably be around 11,500# for a 2004 truck. (the tow wars started in 2005) Weight the truck (at a truck stop) which probably weights about 7,500# so you can probably stick about 4,000# in the bed of that truck. Since a 5er puts 25% (on heavy side) in the bed of the truck. You can pull most 5er's on the market with that truck. One of the custom 5ers and DRV's can run 16,000 to 20,000# but unless you have one of they you have a good match. The Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) for 2004 was legal limited to 20,000# but in 2005 changed to 26,000# in the paperwork. My 2004 say GCVWR of 20,000# but goes up hills accelerating above 60 mph pulling 20,000# :lol: so I know it's just a legal disclaimer of the time.

Run the VIN as brendac suggested to verify, but I think you have found your truck.

I'll wager that truck will pull your camper up any hill out west and more importantly control it better down hill, that you ever though possible.

Good luck.

Melissa
MelissaD

Postby snowball » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:40 pm

thank you all.. Melissa that reassures me...however he has someone coming tomorrow to look at it the guy selling is a rodeo person
the one looking tomorrow is a rodeo person think I will be out of luck but will go to the bank see if I can get a loan and see what happens
I can't look at the either the door or the vin # as I'm home in Tetonia Idaho the truck is in Lehi Utah I was in Ogden when I saw the ad in Salt Lake City
when we went down to look at it
but this helps me to know where to look if I need to continue looking :roll:
sheila
snowball

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues