Brownout tonight - Update

Re: Brownout tonight

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:07 pm

MelissaD wrote:
JudyJB wrote:Yes. Full hookups in Napa EXPO, which is their county fairgrounds. I don't completely understand why generator was giving me a bit of 12 volt but that is what seemed to be happening. CoachNet said it was acting like a constant trickle charge or something.

The generator supplied power (enters my diagram by the 30/50 amp cord) to the converter which converts the 120 vac to 12 vdc to supply the 12 vdc system and charge your batteries. EXPO fairs and other such events are not known for reliable "shore power". I'd be careful of low voltage being supplied to your coach. I suspect the Expo's power was a low voltage and the converter was clicking as it tried to supply your 12 vdc system. When you started the generator the voltage was restored and the converter was able to do it's job.

Which is why I really recommend you having a tester, especially as you don't have protection against faulty electrical. I'm still not sure it was the fault of your batteries, but bad electrical could have caused them to go bad, along with much more.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Brownout tonight

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:17 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13097

The device Karen mentions in this first post is what I highly recommend. I have two devices also, one that shows me polarity, etc and another which plugged in inside the rig shows the voltage. Unfortunately I loaned the 2nd one and didn't get it back. Will be replacing it for the same reasons Karen states. Even if you don't get the fancy protector, these will tell you if there is a problem with the electrical coming in. Sandi had reverse polarity recently and watching the voltage is always a good idea.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Brownout tonight - Update

Postby JudyJB » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:08 pm

Figured I needed to update this.

If you remember, I bought two new batteries in early January when my RV power finally completely went out, which solved some of my problems. (Cost = $250.) I was panicked because I was heading out the next day with my son and his trailer for our trip to Disneyland. However, I was still having very brief dimming of lights very occasionally and that old clacking noise which I have had for the past six months, but never seemed to occur when I had it in the shop. However, I had all the 12 volt power I needed for things.

So last week, I took it in for a new water pump--my fourth in four years in this vehicle. While I was there, I told them about the clacking noise in the relays or something or other next to the batteries. They plugged my RV into 30 amp power and THIS time were able to hear the clacking.

Turns out that my converter was not operating correctly. It would turn on and briefly work and then stop working again, causing the relay or whatever to shut off. I had not dry camped, so it was charging the lights and stuff just enough to keep them working. So after spending a total of $1,140.00 on oil change, new water pump, and new converter, the clacking/clicking noise is gone and absolutely no dimming of lights!!!

I am keeping my fingers crossed since I am really, really tired of spending money on this thing.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Brownout tonight - Update

Postby Liz » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:20 pm

Wow, I sure hope that solves your problems for a looong time, Judy.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Previous

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues