Questions about routine servicing

Re: Questions about routine servicing

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:51 am

Sorry ladies, I wasn't paying all that much attention to how the tech looked tho not bad as best I remember. A little short maybe - 5'9" or so, salt/pepper hair, in mid to late fifties I'd guess. Will try to get better look next time he comes to Ditto - maybe even a photo for you.

Thanks again for the reassurances that I had not overlooked anything and that it was okay not to service some of the systems beyond looking at a few things.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby MelissaD » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Sounds like they hit most the bases. I'd make sure the chassis got lubed when they change the oil. They should also do a brake inspection and visual of the under carriage. I 2nd that the oil should be changed at least once a year. Run generator at least monthly (30 min should do) to keep the seals all "wet" so they don't start to leak. Engine oil change intervals should be listed in your owners manual. It should be based on miles and time example every 5,000 miles or 3 months whichever comes 1st type of thing. Some newer engines have a oil senor and tells you when your due. Oil change is cheap insurance for any engine.

The A/C covers should be removed at least yearly and the coils vacuumed/cleaned to ensure efficient operation. The inside filter can be rinsed out in the sink and reinstalled and I do that whenever it starts to look dusty.

It's great to find someone not looking to gouge you but it's also wise to make sure they did not miss anything.

Your owners manual should list all required maintenance and it's interval. If you don't have one you can probably get one on line.
MelissaD

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:45 pm

Thanks,Melissa.
I'll go back thru what manuals I have and recheck tho I don't think they were very specific on service.
I do have (according to manual) a light that should come on for engine oil change but it never came on. I had engine oil changed anyway and probably should have done it sooner.
I do clean the inside filter on A/C periodically (when it looks dusty). The outer cover has never been removed.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby MelissaD » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:57 pm

The chassis manual will also say when to change the transmission and differential fluids and when to flush the coolant system. They are normally around 30,000 to 50,000 miles.
MelissaD

Postby gingerK » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Sarah, I wish I could have found someone like this when I had my converter "die". I asked around but no one knew anyone who would come out to me. Just my luck!
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Previous

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues