Generator Leaking Oil

Generator Leaking Oil

Postby Olive6001 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:17 pm

What would you do?
Here's the story. I'll try to include all relevant details.

1. My mechanic discovered a "big" oil leak in the generator before I left home and fixed it. I trust him.
2. The generator was "lagging" at one point in the trip, so I took the cover off and discovered a quarter-sized spot of oil in the bottom of the box the generator is in.
3. Couldn't find an RV place in Bend that had time to do the work, so just dropped in to a small place and had the guy look at it and give opinion. He thought the oil was probably residue from the service before I left home and the lagging because this generator has trouble drawing gas from the gas tank at closer to 1/2 tank than 1/4 tank, which is the cutoff point. (Generator won't draw gas once the gas tank gets to 1/4 tank so that I'm not left with no gas in the tank.) He said the cutoff point can depend on the angle of the hose connection from the gas tank to the generator. Makes sense to me and there's no lag if I keep the tank at least 1/2 full. I can go a bit below, but not much. So the lag and the oil leak aren't related, maybe.
4. Found small drops of oil on the ground below the generator this morning and a film of oil in the bottom of the case.
5. I checked the dipstick and there's plenty of oil in the generator. I did run the generator this morning, so I'll check again when I'm sure the generator is cool. I know the rig is level.
6.I have been running the generator for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening to charge the gadgets and run the microwave.
7. This is a 2005 rig and the generator is no longer available. It's a Generac QuietPact 40G

That's all the info I can think of. I have a quart of oil, so I can add as needed. My plan is to keep a close eye on the oil level and just keep on trucking. What would you do?

Nikki
Last edited by Olive6001 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Re: Generator Leaking Oil

Postby VickieP » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Olive6001 wrote: My plan is to keep a close eye on the oil level and just keep on trucking. What would you do?

Nikki

"keep a close eye on the oil level and just keep on trucking" :)
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Olive6001 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Vickie, just what I wanted to hear. :D
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Yep, keep an eye on it and keep going. Is it possible that it was slightly overfilled when worked on and thus blowing a little out??
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Olive6001 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:21 pm

retiredhappy wrote:Is it possible that it was slightly overfilled when worked on and thus blowing a little out??

Very possible.
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby Liz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Good plan.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby MelissaD » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:42 pm

Generators are often hard to access for maintenance and it's very possible some oil was spilt servicing your generator. Once spilt it will ooze for a while. You also might have some seal weep leading to the film. I'd just check the oil level daily on level ground and if the oil sump level is holding I would not worry about it. Some minor oil consumption is not unheard of. Looks like there is a low oil pressure shutdown so if you run out of oil it will hopefully shut the engine/generator off before you damage it.

Manual if you don't have one. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/60567/ ... =79#manual
MelissaD

Postby Olive6001 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks, Melissa. Good information and I appreciate that you took the time to find it. I've downloaded the owner's manual but not the service manual you found. As soon as I have a faster internet connection, I'll do that. I checked the oil this morning and the dip stick still reads at the top of the safe zone. ( I just made up the term safe zone. It's a the top of the lines.) It is darker than it was last week. I'll keep checking everyday. Thanks again.

Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby mtngal » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:05 pm

'keep an eye on it, and keep on truckin' !
Should be our motto!
Diana
mtngal

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues