Tire Rotation with Dual Tires in Back

Tire Rotation with Dual Tires in Back

Postby monik7 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:09 pm

I'm getting ready to have service on my RV and started thinking that tire rotation seems like it would be different than for a car. The actual wheels for the front tires look completely different from the wheels for the dual tires. Does that mean the actual tires have to be taken off each wheel and reinstalled and balanced on the wheel in the new position they're moved to? My RV is on a Sprinter chassis and I'll be taking it to a Mercedes dealer for the service. If the tires do have to be taken off the wheels and reinstalled I'm wondering if dealers are qualified to do that or if it should be done at a tire dealer. Anybody have experience with this and any advice for this novice?
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Re: Tire Rotation with Dual Tires in Back

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:34 pm

You might like reading this - put out by Goodyear, but info would be good for other brands.

The most important thing for you to do is check your owners manual about tire rotation. My last rig said as long as tires are wearing evenly, not to rotate, and if they weren't something ELSE was wrong. Haven't read about it in this rig yet, well, actually, I read most of the manual, but don't remember that - so need to double check.

You'll find completely varying answers on whether you should or shouldn't - but I'd go with what your manual says.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MelissaD » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:29 am

Dismounting and remounting can get expensive. If you Google dually tire rotation you will see there are a couple of options based on tire wear patterns. While the dealer should be qualified to perform any task on the vehicle there are certain tire shops that maybe more experienced. Discount Tire a national chain has a good reputation and can perform a tire rotation for you. I read on one board they will do it for free even if you did not buy your tires there but I'm sure they are making their money off a tire balance when they do the rotation.

There are shops that deal with everything from a car to a semi and thus handle RVs. Also if you're in a part of the country where dually pickups are common probably would not hurt either as they probably would be more experienced with dual's.
MelissaD

Postby BurninDaylight » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:04 am

About a year and a half ago, I put new tires all the way around my one ton pickup. At that time I bought lifetime rotation and balance for them, plus got new tie rods and tie rod ends and alignment. Last month knowing that I was going to start towing the RV more etc... and I had put 8K miles on them, I took it in to get the rotation done. They had to break down every tire, remount and balance. I drove it for say maybe 300 miles and it was pulling hard to the right. I took it back to check the front end again, and they couldn't seem to get it aligned. So they swapped the places of the two front tires and the pull followed the tire. The service manager told me that was called radial pull and that it occurred quite often after they did dually rotations. I went in the next day and he replaced it with a new one for free and realigned the front again for free!! That was a Hibdon tire here in my hometown that does all the oil changes and rotations on both of my pickups. I am very satisfied with their service.

Barb
The meatball and the sauce

BurninDaylight

Postby Birdie » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Just recently read my Ford book which said don't rotate unless there is uneven wear! I imagine I will have them aligned this winter seeing as I just whopped a cement thingy I did not see and got to buy a new rim! Just had them rotated, balanced and aligned last November at the big truck tire shop in Kerrville, TX. The wear at that time was uneven. Looks like I will see them fellas again.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues