Stray Cat Poem

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Stray Cat Poem

Postby Echo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:14 am

Found this last night and hopefully it's ok to post as it does have the writers name on it. But I thought it a beautiful poem and sounds like what so many of us go thru either with a cat or dog. Cause we just can't seem to ignore them and we simply can't help ourselves.

One of the girls at work just lost her cat this past Sunday. She had the cat for 14yrs, said the she sat and watched while it was being born and take it's first breath. And Sunday she held it while it took it's last breath. She didn't come into work on Monday and has had crying spells all week. My heart went out to her for her loss and grief. But I'm gonna sit here and write the poem out for her and give it to her today because of course she is saying that she will never put herself thru that again. Well we all know how that goes don't we?

STRAY CAT
by Francis Witham

Oh, what unhappy twist of fate
Has brought you homeless to my gate?
The gate where once another stood
To beg for shelter, warmth, and food
For from that day I ceased to be
The master of my destiny.

While he, with purr and velvet paw
Became within my house the law.
He scratched the furniture and shed
And claimed the middle of my bed.

He ruled in arrogance and pride
And broke my heart the day he died.
So if you really think, oh Cat,
I'd willingly relive all that
Because you come forlorn and thin
Well...don't just stand there...Come on in!
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Re: Stray Cat Poem

Postby Bethers » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:30 am

That's a beautiful poem and I hope it helps her in her loss.

Yes, it's devasting to lose our fur babies. Each of mine still reside in my heart and my memories and sometimes each one of them comes to me as if still with me - I just finished talked to a friend of mine who still grieves for both my Moxie and Tips - from my having wintered in Alabama for the few years I did. Our animals touch many lives.

If she isn't aware of the Rainbow Bridge poem, you might want to share that also - I'll post it in a separate thread to make it easy to find if anyone wants it.

Love this poem and will share it with others.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Stray Cat Poem

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:29 pm

What a lovely poem.

I still shed tears over two rescue cats (Tim, 1985-2004) (Snickers, 1993-2007) that have gone on to the Rainbow Bridge,... but now I have my latest rescue,... Midnight,... ("Middy", 2006- ) and i hope the gods allow her to stay with me, and me with her for years to come.
Cedar518

Return to Pets