Seizures?

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Seizures?

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:16 am

Anyone have a dog that has/had seizures? My Buddy has had some seizures in the past but its been over a year since the last one. He had one yesterday. They only last a short time, less than 3 or 4 minutes but it seems like forever. He seems aware of what's happening, he gets wobbly, can't stand and sort of spasms with his legs. As soon as its over he's fine like nothing happened. I'm told by my vet that its not uncommon for Labs to have seizures and he doesn't want to put him on any meds as they're so far apart. They're really short lived but it scares the devil out of me.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: Seizures?

Postby Paulette » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:01 pm

My little dog (Dad's dog) has had them in the past. Were really scary till I figured out that Dad was feeding him stuff like brownies, grapes, cho. chip cookies...etc. So, I believe that the seizures were a direct result of that. Now that dad has passed, Fred no longer gets those sorts of "treats"! And, he hasn't had a seizure in a long long time. I'm sure you're not feeding Buddy anything that he shouldn't be having, but I know that they are scary. Since they are few and far between, I would have to agree with the vet and just watch for now.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby avalen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:14 pm

oh yes, they certainly are scary, it most definately can be food related and sometimes
totally unknown. My Ashley was 17 years old when she started having seizures, in her
case it was her age as her body was shutting down and the same with my Gizmo, she
was 16. Up till then they had both lived a long happy healthy life. My Pixie, who is 3
had a seizure brought on simply by fear of fireworks and I just had to comfort her.
She was fine the next day. Give your baby some extra hugs and I will pray its nothing.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:04 pm

I'm very familiar with seizures. That said, they can be caused by many different things. First, like mentioned, pay attn to what the dog might have been eating. As mentioned - chocolate is a big no-no. I didn't know about grapes - but tylenol is an even bigger no-no than most foods for our pets. And onions can cause seizures, also.

I wouldn't put a dog for a seizure once in a year on meds either - but really pay attn that he doesn't have any more.

My Tips had seizures as a puppy that the vets never figured out - then he developed seizures again the last month of his life - but the ones at the end were different - and it's figured it was age and probably even him having mini strokes during those. My Moxie had seizures for the last year of her life off and on and was on anti-seizure meds during that time. We kept lowering the dosage, then she'd have a seizure and we'd have to up it again. Was hard to find the right balance. So I know how difficult it is to watch. And in Moxie's case I stuck my finger down her throat once during a seizure to bring her tongue out of her mouth (something they say not to do - as the dog might bite down involuntarily - but I wasn't willing to have her choke - would have lost my hand first!)

When Buddy has his seizures, is he aware right away after them? Normally after a seizure, the dog is almost blind for a while (the worse the seizure, the longer the dog has sight problems and is disoriented) and the dog needs to walk, walk, walk - without really going anywhere. But, yes, you are right, the dog feels nothing during the seizure and will be confused about the disoriented time - like hey, what happened to me, why are I confused, etc.

I'm sorry you have to go through this - and 3 to 4 minutes is not short - it feels like a lifetime while it's happening - but it's not a short seizure. Good luck to you and Buddy - and hopefully he won't have another for at least a year.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Getupngo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:20 am

I had an Old English and a yorkie mix, and they took off on an "adventure" together on the highway, and both were hit. The little one died, and a few months later my sweet Jake started having seizures. I lost him, and still tear up when I think about losing my buddy. His problems were directly related to the accident, I think. I think the infrequency of Buddy's seizures is good news.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Nasoosie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:44 am

Seizures have always been terrifying for me, whether in animals, or in humans. I was 4 when my first pet, Blackie, turned out to be an epileptic cat. She had a seizure while I was playing with her, and I have never forgotten it to this day. It is a symptom of a brain dysfunction that causes the body to go way out of control, and, to the observer, the wild, spastic, and almost paralytic movements are stunning, to say the least.

The first seizure my little Yoda dog had when she was 14 years old happened when we went on a walk. As we started down the hill toward the pond, Yoda at a full run, she suddenly stopped, fell over, started spazzing around on the ground, stiffened, stopped breathing, eyes rolled back, and then nothing. I bent down, shaking, crying hysterically, searching for signs of life, and found none...no breathing, no heartbeats, nothing. I attempted mouth to snout breathing and chest compressions...still nothing. I picked her up and carried her home to the couch and laid her down on her blanket, believing she was gone. As I was sobbing uncontrollably, and patting her, I noticed that her eyes were opening up, and I saw her breathing! I swear I was never so amazed and happy and stunned in my life! A true miracle! After resting for a bit, she began walking around, got a drink of water, and seemed to be none the worse for what had happened. (Unlike me, who was a basket case!!)

I took her to the vet, who diagnosed a huge heart, and said she had probably suffered from a heart failure that caused her brain a lack of oxygen, this causing the seizure. He suggested that her running around days were probably over, and that she should be on a leash for more sedate walks now for the rest of her life. This worked fine.

However, in the house, she and Molly liked to chase each other, and the seizures became more and more frequent, and I couldn't see condemning her to a life in a cage. Sadly, I held her while they came out to the car and gave her an overdose which put her permanently to sleep that time. I shall always miss her terribly.

Beth has had a lot of experience with dog seizures, it seems. She is the best authority on what to do and what to expect. I am still freaked out by the sight of these abnormal body/brain occurrences, even though I know those suffering from seizures usually recover just fine. Try to stay calm....I know for me that the anticipation of watching a loved one have another seizure is stressful! I admire those parents who have epileptic children and experience so many seizure episodes.

Hugs to you and Buddy from me and Molly
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:16 am

Thanks to everyone for their support. Buddy has been just fine and I'm recovering too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be another year or so before another one.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:02 pm

My fingers are crossed with yours that you and Buddy don't go through this again for at least another year! Will pray about it also.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Pets