Molly's Report

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Molly's Report

Postby Sunseeker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:16 pm

I guess my earlier post got lost in the coffee room, but Molly's exam went well today...so far. The vet wants to remove the growth and have it biopsied. It only showed up recently and is growing... so it is of some concern. She said normally these are just benign fatty cysts, but the location is also important. Molly's growth is a little larger than a golfball behind her shoulder and might soon affect her ability to walk. It is near muscle mass and her chest wall so that is also a concern. We have scheduled an appointment for surgery in early November...right after the GTG. Of course if it appears to be getting larger more rapidly things might change.

She is still active and loves her walks, so we will be loving her, praying, and hoping this is all routine older doggy stuff.
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Re: Molly's Report

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:30 pm

My Sassy has a fatty tumor on her ribcage. I had it biopsied (They just used a needle to get a sample) to be sure it wasn't more serious. My vet said to just wait and leave it alone unless it started interfering with her movement or breathing. Did you vet biopsy it? Its about 1" wide by 2" long.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Sunseeker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:51 pm

No, they didn't needle aspirate it. I got an opinion from one vet, and another from the same practice came into our room. They both agreed that the location would most likely interfere with her ability to walk...and were concerned at how rapidly it had shown up. They gave me the option to wait it out and think about it..but said if it had grown that rapidly in just under two weeks, it might be incredibly hard to remove in a larger form should it suddenly start causing her distress.

I really trust these vets...they've been taking care of Molly since the 7 years we've lived here. The cost for the surgery and "send away" biopsy of the growth are more than I can handle at this time which is why I postponed it till next month. Maybe things will change before then and I won't need to worry about removal. If it hasn't grown I'll insist on a needle aspiration biopsy. She has several fatty lymphomas which are small and not of any real concern..but somehow this handful feels different to me.

Thanks for your response. I can't wait to meet you, Buddy and sweet Sassy too.
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby avalen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:10 pm

sending Molly some good energy here, hope all goes well and that she won't need
that surgery.
My black lab, Ashley (rip) had one golf ball size on her side, the vet did a needle
aspirate on it and it was just a fluid cyst, no cancer.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Sunseeker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:38 pm

Thanks so much, Ava..we need those positive energy hugs tonight!
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:23 am

It sure came up fast. I'd go with your vet's recommendation cause you know and trust them. Sassy's grew slowly so we just keep an eye on it. I'll say a prayer for Molly. Can hardly wait to meet you, too.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Barbzeee » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:12 am

Jill, I'm in for my 9th cup of coffee.. does that tell you how things are going ...

Ok, on Molly.. when something grows that rapidly, it's best to get the biopsy done.. and yes, location is a very important issue.. also vets can tell if it's attached.. which again makes a difference.. I hear ya on cost.. .been there done that many times.. Please do keep a watch on growth.. I'm a worry wart as you well know.. I'm praying for you Jill, that this is nothing to be concerned..and Molly is on my number one list..

Tried to call you a few times... Do keep us all posted as I'll be looking in... and cell phone is on all the time.. ya hear..

Love ya and give Molly a big hug for me.. she's a sweetie for sure..

God Bless

Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby Bethers » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:58 am

Jill,
Poor Molly - hopefully it's a fatty cyst and comes under control.

Tips developed two big cysts very rapidly - one was right under in the armpit area and we were concerned at the time it would effect his ability to walk/move. The vet did a biopsy and it was benign, then we did a whole new blood workup on him - changed his diet and put him on some antibiotics. I had always given him a back rub every night - started making sure every day I rubbed the cysts and the area around them. There was no pain for him when I did it - and I have no idea what caused it, but they did soften some and shrink some. He had these 2 cysts for his last year or so - and the vets aren't sure why they softened or got smaller, but I hope that you can at least get Molly's to stop growing and not effect her walking, etc.

I've added her to my prayers - and you - it's awful hard to watch our furkids with problems of any kind.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Sunseeker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:42 am

Thanks for the prayers, gals. Molly is her old happy self today and we'll call later to check on the thyroid test that ran yesterday.

We are busy preparing for our next adventure. We're leaving thursday for a week in NE texas, then back home to start the prep for the GTG week. It's not slowing us down any, but it's forever in the back of my mind. It's good to come here to the forum to vent...and priceless to know I have so much loving support.

Take care..and Barbzee, try to pace yourself. We'd like to keep you around for a loooooong time. Nine cups of coffee...sheesh! :shock:
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Sunseeker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:57 pm

Molly had her surgery today and did real well. The vet's ofice just called with wound care instructions and her medication schedule. I can pick her up after 5. They wanted to warn me that the mass was quite large so she has a huge bandage around her. It appears to be all fatty so they won't go the expense of pathology. I'm glad we decided to have it removed before it got any bigger!

I sure did miss her cuddles in bed last night so I'll give her extra lovins when she gets home. They said she'll be real groggy throughout the night and will need to be kept real still and quiet...but at least I can bring her home. She will have to wear the cone collar to prevent her biting her sutures.

She'll be the beagle dressed up as a lamp for Halloween.
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby Echo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:04 pm

Hey Jill!

So glad to hear that Molly came thru with flying colors. If she's gonna be groggy you will probably get a chuckle. I know she will be sore but sometimes it's like watching a drunken sailor when they come home still 'high'. It's one of those deals where your heart hurts and goes out to them but it causes smiles and chuckles too. :) Am I making any sense???? LOL

You might have to sleep on the floor with her so the two of you can snuggy it will at least keep her from trying to get up into the bed. I've done that before with my babies.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:42 pm

So glad Molly is okay. I completely understand missing her snuggles. I feel really deserted when my two don't sleep with me and the colder it gets at night, the more I need them. See you soon.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Sunseeker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks Echo and Karen. She's home now and not as groggy as I expected, but we did give her benedryl as the vet recommended, so probably will see some listing and staggering in a bit. She looks 5 pounds lighter with that mass removed!

Molly is 10 now and has had mild arthritis for a couple of years, and cruciate surgery a year ago, so she hasn't jumped on the bed in a long time. She is given the express elevator treatment each night before lights out, but I have to watch real closely that she doesn't try to jump down on her own in the morning.

Staples have to come out in 10-12 days. Do you have a good vet in Kerrville, Karen?
Sunseeker Jill
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby avalen » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:22 pm

so glad Molly is home and healing and the cyst was GOOD NEWS!!
Vet stuff is never fun but we have to do it, tomorrow the girls go
in for their toenails clip as they fight me to get it done so I pay
the vet to do it :lol:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:54 pm

I'm glad you got this surgery done - and that she's doing well - and even best news - they didn't feel it was anything more than fatty - whew!!!

Can't wait to meet you all next week - and I'm sure Karen will have a vet for you.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Next

Return to Pets