Sassy and Buddy

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Sassy and Buddy

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:53 pm

The one on the left is Sassy and on the right is Buddy. Got Sassy at the SPCA shelter in 1999; she was a year old. She had been at the shelter since she was a puppy. She was adopted once but they brought her back after a week. When I got her she was so happy to have a home. Turns out she has a bladder problem - wets the bed when she's sleeping and that was probably why they returned her. Its treatable and she's been on meds ever since. Yeah, she's had a couple of accidents - my fault for not taking her out frequently enough but that's part of having pets.

Buddy belonged to a neighbor of my daughter's. He was tried to a tree with no shelter other than the tree and often no water. He kept chewing loose and going to my daughter's about a mile away. They'd come after him a few days later, throw him in the back of their pickup, hitting him for running away. About the 3rd time he showed up at my D's she called me at 6:30 in the morning. I went and got him! Had him fixed - Texas males take it personally when you suggest fixing their male dogs - had him dewormed - he had them all except heart worm. He's still afraid of men and just about everything else.

Now picture me on the bed, too. Do you see why I don't EVER get cold. Sassy will often get on the sofa sometime during the night but Buddy stays right beside me all night. Only problem is he snores. For whatever reason it doesn't bother me as much with Buddy as it did with my exhusband.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: Sassy and Buddy

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:32 pm

Great picture of your kids,.... probably why the snoring doesn't both you like it used to is because this is REALLY your "Buddy" and your X wasn't! :D (said from experience! haha)
Cedar518

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:30 pm

I love those pictures of Sassy and Buddy and especially loved your telling their stories. What wonderful dogs and how wonderful you are for accepting Sassy's problem. Peaches has peed on the bed 3 times now- I know it's stress within her (as she was an abused pup and will never completely lose some fears.) Funny that she pees on the place she feels safest. I sometimes think she's marking her territory.

My dog Moxie that I lost last fall also snored and after spending some time visiting at a farm with piglets she learned to grunt just like a pig. It was so funny when anyone would hear her grunt LOL I got to sleep better with her gentle snores - guess it does have to do with what Cedar just said :)

Thanks for sharing!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Mtntophoundz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:34 pm

Thanks for sharing them with us. I love hearing the stories of our beloved pets!
Mollie
A hubby, 2 skin kids,
Fur-sons Shane & Rascal
It is in the woods we return to reason and faith..... ~Emerson
Mtntophoundz

Postby Liz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:01 pm

Beautiful Labs. When I was a kid, my neighbor raised black labs and trained them for hunting. They were such beautiful, gentle dogs, I've always loved them. Roe is often confused with a lab puppy, and he does have a lab temperament, just half the size. He does shed as much as a big one, though.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby avalen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:20 pm

Love your labs, I've also had two in my life time. My last was Ashley and she had
the same problem with her bladder and took the medicine. She was fine. Doc said
it was because she was spayed too early in life before she had all her hormones
she needed for growing. She lived to be 17 years old. She was a very good dog.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:06 pm

Oh Ava, thank you. My Sassy is nine and I had started worrying about losing her cause Labs usually don't live a really long time like so many of the little guys do. You made me happy telling me your's lived to be 17.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Return to Pets