Little warrior

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Little warrior

Postby WickedLady » Fri May 29, 2009 6:36 pm

Just saw on the news that a grey-muzzled 10 lb Chihuahua in Oregon saved his doggy buddy from a cougar. The big cat dropped the other little dog when his rescuer charged at the cougar with his fierce attack. His buddy was not injured.
WickedLady

Re: Little warrior

Postby avalen » Fri May 29, 2009 7:24 pm

oh my goodness, those little chi's are awesome
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Cedar518 » Sat May 30, 2009 5:54 am

Several years ago my friend Kathy's two mini poodles were out for their evening "pee"... Kathy was on the phone just inside the door and she hear some yelping,.... a coyote was outside and had apparently grabbed one of the poodles. The other poodle must have done that same thing of charging the attacker because the coyote must have dropped the first poodle and both "girls" ran back to their house. Of course Ginger had bite wounds and Mitzi was still barking looking back over he shoulder. Kath didn't see the coyote with Ginger in her mouth but did see it standing there as the girls ran back to her,..but the event was obivious by the wounds. She survived. The same week another little dog was carried away by a coyote on another street in the village. Thank goodness that Ginger had Mitzi there to protect her.

The little breeds are fiesty for sure!
Cedar518

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat May 30, 2009 10:44 am

My large yard/...dog run is fenced but I have heard the "yips" through the years from over the hill and into the creek/woods....so I know that the fence would probably only slow down a determined pack! The dogs look at me funny when I remind them, particularly at night to travel in pairs when someone asks to go out. And when the pups are out in the x-pen on the deck...someone has to stay out with them on the deck and "pup sit". There I think about hawks!
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby AlmostThere » Sun May 31, 2009 10:24 am

My backyard abuts a forest with a family of coyotes. Last night they were yipping it up. Every time my little pug hears them he wants out. Not sure why. You'd think he'd be afraid. Sometimes the are just behind my fence!! I don't let him out if I hear them that close! :o
AlmostThere

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun May 31, 2009 3:14 pm

Love good fences!
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Nasoosie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:24 pm

We have lots of coyotes here on this property, too. They have taken at least two of the cats I have had over the years, so now my remaining ancient cat is strictly a house cat. Coyotes are very enterprising creatures, and will eat just about anything!

This picture was taken a couple of years ago by our automatic camera that we had set up on a trail to the brook where many animals travel back and forth for water.

And, on or about the same night, the camera caught this picture of our resident black bear. What looks like snow under its feet is really sand.

Molly doesn't go out after dark by herself, either, as she's a bit smaller than our coyotes.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Very cool pictures! That is one healthy looking coyote! The ones I've seen here and back in Illinois were pretty skinny and scrawny.
And the bear - I AM SOOO JEALOUS! I just love bears. It's a recent love affair, so I don't know much about them. I need to get some books.

Thanks for posting.
mitch5252

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:24 am

How cool to have a camera to do that! Very neat!
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:54 am

It's depressing - your automatic camera got full body shots - when I'm looking right at the animals there's no guarantee of that!

I love bears, too, Mitch - and keep hoping I'm going to see a bunch more of them. Course, it's ok if Peaches and I don't encounter them on our walks - but that was too cool, also - long as all are safe, bear included.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:51 pm

Bethers wrote:It's depressing - your automatic camera got full body shots - when I'm looking right at the animals there's no guarantee of that!

I love bears, too, Mitch - and keep hoping I'm going to see a bunch more of them. Course, it's ok if Peaches and I don't encounter them on our walks - but that was too cool, also - long as all are safe, bear included.

I would have died (in a good way) to have that experience you had!
You're not carrying bear spray, I take it?
You know, you can't take mace into Canada, but you can take bear spray, which us girls did last year.
I'm hoping you see more, too (and get lots of pictures!).

mitch5252

Return to Pets