MOLLY UPDATE

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

MOLLY UPDATE

Postby Nasoosie » Mon May 11, 2009 1:46 pm

Well, Gracie-----Molly will have to take back everything she ever said about your being a sissy about pain! While waiting for the TV Guy to show up this morning to move my dish to a more stable place, I couldn't stand the whining-with-pain and inability of Molly to walk around---so I prowled through the medicine cabinets and found an ancient (2001) prescription for Rimadyl, a dog painkiller/anti swelling medication that my dog, Blizzard, used to take when she got old and crippled. I had called the vet to see about getting some Doxycycline to treat Lyme disease, as Molly does have antibodies for that in her blood-----guess that's one more thing she acquired before I got her, as her first blood test showed that. And I wanted some painkillers for her, too. However, I decided to risk the old Rimadyl prescription, halve it from what Blizzard used to take, and give Molly a dose of it. Let me tell you that within a half hour, I had to put her in her hut to keep her calm and quiet and from jumping around! Talk about a wuss about pain! WOW....I was so surprised!

After the TV guy left, (and they couldn't find a more suitable mounting place for my dish, so I'll have to reinforce that balcony railing it's on to keep it from getting blown off kilter) I drove to town for new pain meds and Doxycycline antibiotic for Lyme Disease. If it's an injury, the Doxy won't hurt her----and if the Lyme has flared up, the Doxy will put it back into dormancy. I could pay 70.00 for a test to see if the Lyme has flared up, but put that on hold for now. I decided to try just the pain killers for a couple of days to see if that will keep her pain free. If not, I will begin the Doxy regimen again---she has had that once before a few years ago. so, that's where we are right now, and she is eating well, has been out and up and down the front porch steps to pee and poop, is a bit lame in that one hind leg yet, but not bad at all. At 8:00 tonight I can give her a dose of the new pain meds that she can take once a day instead of twice a day like the Rimadyl.

I hate it when 4-footers are feeling not well----so hard to tell what's up with them. Am very glad to see her better now!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Re: MOLLY UPDATE

Postby retiredhappy » Mon May 11, 2009 2:39 pm

I'm so glad you found something to make her feel better. I know exactly what you mean about our furbabies not feeling well. My Buddy has seizures. They only last about 3 minutes (seems like forever to me) and so far, he only has had two or three a year so the vet doesn't want to medicate yet. BUT he had one March 21st and again on May 8th. He's absolutely fine within five minutes but I'm a wreck. Since they usually happen at night, I spend the rest of the night with him next to me and me looking at him every five minutes.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Getupngo » Mon May 11, 2009 3:20 pm

I'm glad you found a solution for Molly ... and you seem to have a handle on her medical problems. My creaky little old man responds well to Rimadyl ... so I always keep it on hand. Karen, I'm sorry about your Buddy's seizures. I had an old english that had seizures ... it's so hard.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Liz » Mon May 11, 2009 4:12 pm

Glad Molly's doing a little better, Soos. Roe had tested + for Lyme too when I got him. He had two rounds of the doxy.. and then the vet said it was always going to test+ as a chronic thing I guess. He has no symptoms though.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Mon May 11, 2009 5:41 pm

I hope the pain meds do the same trick the Rimadyl does. Both Moxie and Tips took Rimadyl at various times - Moxie for the last couple years of her life. It's an anti-inflammatory - so make sure there isn't damage underlying - that it or the pain reliever are masking but not correcting. In Moxie's case, her arthritis just kept getting worse and that stopped her from having any pain from it. Great drug, IMO.

Hope you're feeling your best quickly, Molly! Peaches says you have to take care - she hasn't met you yet.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:05 pm

Dear Molly,

My Mommy was gone most of the afternoon and she is just catching me up. I was going to have her to start a 'How's Molly' thread, and lo and behold - here it is! I'm so glad you're feeling better. I hate it when I don't feel well - Mommies get so excited and sad all at once (actually, my Mommy can't handle it at all...she ALWAYS calls Daddy.)

Keep getting better so you can make Mommy smile again!

Love,
Abby

mitch5252

Postby Paulette » Mon May 11, 2009 6:49 pm

Glad to hear Molly is starting to feel better. Just a note on Lymes...I had both of my dogs vaccinated from the time they were puppies, and they both still contracted lymes. Vet said that some dogs just get it anyway.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby avalen » Mon May 11, 2009 6:53 pm

so sorry Molly is having pain, but I hope the Rimadyl does the trick and puts her back
to her normal self in no time. Gracie is totally back to her normal self now and I actually
was able to let both the girls have the run of the house today.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Nasoosie » Mon May 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Oh dear, Karen...so sorry to hear that buddy had another seizure. Seizures really terrify me, and I know how scary they are to watch. I was so glad when the one he had in March was not followed by another one. This is not too far from the March one. Perhaps the doc will now want to medicate him for the seizures? If not, maybe he will medicate you so you can get some sleep! Good luck with him, and hopefully he'll be fine for another while now.

Hugs from Molly----and I just gave her a second quarter of the old Rimadyl rather than the new med tonight. The Rimadyl worked so well this morning, I decided to use it again!
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby bluepinecones » Mon May 11, 2009 10:49 pm

Nicky and I were so happy to hear that Molly is doing a bit better. Know how bad the day is when fur baby out of sorts.
Just in case she needs more rest to heal, Nicky suggests you pamper her with a spa day.

The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Barbzeee » Tue May 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Soos, Glad to hear that Molly is showing some improvment...it's always a worry when our fur babies show signs of pain.. I pray that this all will work for Molly.. if not please take her to your Vet .

God Bless
Zeee
Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby Nasoosie » Tue May 12, 2009 3:47 pm

Things are definitely on the upswing again here with Molly.....she's way more like herself tonight, and I will continue the Doxy/pain pill regimen until she's as good as new. I posted a couple of pics I just took of her on the morning coffee thread. She's on 'squirrel patrol' in her little camper bed outside the trailer where I am! Maybe her Lyme Disease does kick in now and then, as it tends to do with humans, too. You never really get over it,totally, but it can be kept in check with Doxycycline. I have to tie her up tonight to keep her quiet, or she'd be after those squirrels!

Thanks, everybody, for your concern....we all know what a strain it is when our 4-footers are not up to par. Just as with our human kids!
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Bethers » Fri May 15, 2009 10:37 am

Molly - just want a new update on you - Peaches sent me to check!

Karen - I'm so sorry Buddy has had a couple more seizures. Hope that it isn't anything more serious - and that there are no more for a long, long, time.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Nasoosie » Fri May 15, 2009 4:50 pm

I'm doing really well tonight, Beth, thank you! Tell Peaches we might stay out here in the trailer tonight, as I was able to jump up on the sofa-bed here to get my snack and wait for my supper. Right now, I'm out in the yard, and Nasoosie is inside, trying to decide what to eat for her dinner. I take antibiotics every morning, and a pain pill, if I need it. Thanks for checking! I hope to meet Peaches one day and teach her about my world!
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby VickieP » Fri May 15, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm so glad that Molly is doing better, now I have to go hunt up those pics of her on squirrel patrol!
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Next

Return to Pets