Maybe Getting a Kitten??

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Maybe Getting a Kitten??

Postby JudyJB » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:27 pm

I am really thinking of getting a kitten, however, I have some concerns about living with one in my motorhome. I am not concerned with a cat adjusting to RV living or getting one used to walking on a leash and such, but I am worried about some other practicalities. I know some of you have or had cats, so here goes:

1) I am concerned about hot weather. I nearly always camp with electricity, so could leave a cat while I go for a walk or bike walk near my RV, but what if I wanted to go into a museum for a few hours and had to leave the cat in the motorhome in a parking lot?? Not having a car means I would need to either rent a car or take the whole motorhome with me to the museum and park in the parking lot. Have you done this and how hot can a cat manage? (I am guessing half an hour of so inside a grocery store is OK, right?)

2) Have any of you boarded a cat for a day or two when you wanted to go somewhere for a few hours? How has this worked out?

3) I keep hearing about Fantastic Fans. Do these run on 12 volts and do they turn on and off depending on the heat inside an RV? Or have any of you left your generator running while you went inside something?

4) What about flying with a cat? I sat next to a lady with a cat about a year ago, and the cat poked her heat out of the soft carrying case while sitting on the lady's lap. It did not bother me, but might bother some people. Anyone have any experience flying with a cat?

5) What am I missing? I have always hesitated about getting animals while traveling because of all the problems and not wanting to leave a pet alone in a hot motorhome.

Thanks
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Maybe Getting a Kitten??

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:19 pm

You would need to figure out a way to keep it from running out the door when you come in and go out.

I would suggest contacting Jenny Sheppard since they have traveled with cats for many years. She could give you a lot of information. Also there is a great page on Facebook called "RV Traveling With Cats".

I had a travel trailer when I had Lola with me coming down to California, so I just left her in there with the AC running when I went somewhere. Luckily, she never tried to escape out the door. There are enclosed outdoor enclosures for cats that allow them to be outside.

I am sure those here with dogs can tell you what they do for them in their RV's when they park somewhere for awhile with no electricity.

I have heard cats do well with the RV lifestyle, especially kittens who don't know anything else.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:26 pm

It's not much different than traveling with dogs. I always open windows and ceiling vents if Ty is left inside where the temp could rise. My rv has never gotten too hot when I do this, and you know I boondock a lot. I have one 12 volt fan I usually use also. Most friends have fantastic fans and love them. . I don't do can't give particulars but I do know there are a couple models. If it would be too hot inside, yes, I'd run the generator, but that's rarely happened for me.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:32 pm

Living in South Louisiana my number one concern about traveling with a cat or dog is heat in the summer. Of course here that could be from April to November. I took one kitten camping for a while. He was fine when he was little but as he got older he was more active. I would take him out on a leash but he was eyeing the trees. I could just see being at a campground a week trying to get him out of a tree. I camp with my sister often and she is in and out smoking and not watching where the cat was. He is still a wild child and he's about 3.

My motorhome has 2 Fantastic Fans and I probably don't know how to really operate them. I have Maxx Air Vents over them so I can leave them open if it rains and they still close on their own sometimes. I doubt they would cool a motorhome enough for an animal in hot weather.

There are systems that are suppose to send alerts to your phone if it gets too hot but I have never looked into getting one.

I have read there are places that won't let you leave an animal in a vehicle. I think they are mostly Federal Parks.

When I went to Grand Isle this summer I never did make it to the beach because I had my dog with me. It was a long walk to the beach and you couldn't bring a dog on the beach. The electricity at the campground went off several times which is not uncommon in summer with everyone running air conditioners. It was at least 100 degrees and I was afraid to leave her.

I have never boarded a cat except a sick cat that might have spent the night at the vet's.

Having a dog with me definitely limits some of the things I do.

I agree with Barbie, talking to Jenny would be a good idea. They have traveled with cats for years.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby snowball » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:40 am

I don't have a cat and I have a lot bigger home so it doesn't get quite as hot ... but the truck is a bit different I bought a
fan that run's off the cig lighter plug in... in the truck I have 2 plugs one runs all the time even if the truck isn't on... so I plug it into that one and if I have Shadow with me I have it running if it's hot... it's fixed so it's hanging on to the seat aimed in the back seat so in my mind if it's on the windows are down a bit he is protected from the heat somewhat but honestly rarely take him with me shopping... your case is a bit different... another idea would be a kennel for the kitty so they would ride in it would think it would be harder to lose them however Sharon who rarely gets on any more would be a good one as she used to have a cat from many years... oh for those who don't know Chewy died recently
sheila
snowball

Postby monik7 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:33 pm

My cat got along fine while traveling. I would never leave her (or my dogs) without A/C when the temps rose inside which happened often. It can seem comfortable outside but get quite warm inside a “tin can.” In those cases I left the A/C on for them. I always landed on the side of being very careful to keep both cat and dogs comfortable. One example: once in the Spring at Arches Nat’l Park, I parked in the small parking and made the hike to Delicate Arch, leaving the generator and A/C running while I was gone.

I also think you need to consider who would care for your cat should you become ill and unable to do so.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby JudyJB » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:34 pm

I guess I am going to wait a while on the cat. It does make things more complicated and I am not sure if I want to handle it all right now.

Thanks for the advice, however.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to Pets