My new baby!

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

My new baby!

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue May 12, 2020 9:46 pm

Meet my new kitten, Mayastina, (Maya for short) after my great grandmother on my mom's side. It is combination of Mary and Christina.
I got her on Saturday from a private owner in Newport Beach. She is only about 6 weeks old and very tiny yet, but eating hard kibble and using her box well. She is very sweet and cuddly and playful!

playtime

naptime

She barely takes up half of this little ferret bed!

Trying to eat out of Lola's dish

Lola is social distancing from Maya but also seems interested. She just growls a little if Maya gets too close to her.
I keep them separated when I am not home. Maya has had a little diarrhea but I think it is just a change in her food. I did bring a stool sample to the vet today just in case. But she is active, curious, playful, and very affectionate.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: My new baby!

Postby Acadianmom » Tue May 12, 2020 10:46 pm

Very cute. I love kittens, they are fun. Hopefully Lola will like her.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Bethers » Wed May 13, 2020 6:36 am

Aww, she's adorable.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed May 13, 2020 8:54 am

Very cute
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby PeggyinCT » Wed May 13, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi Barbie,
What a sweet little kitten. My Purrfect sends Maya some of her lively spirit. Peggy
PeggyinCT

Postby monik7 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:40 pm

What a cutie Barbie!
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed May 13, 2020 4:03 pm

Wonderful addition to your family. Hoping that Lola can tolerate her in these elderly days of hers so you both can be at peace. I know that it has been many many years since I had only one cat or one dog. The circle of life is meant to be a circle.....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby cnq50b » Wed May 13, 2020 8:03 pm

She is adorable!!!!
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby snowball » Wed May 13, 2020 10:23 pm

what a cutie!!!!
and hopefully Lola will accept her or at least be tolerant. My dd had a cat and ended up with a kitten (she had gotten it for her friend who was unable at that time to keep her however many years later dd still has her) anyway KeeKee finally accepted her sometimes put her in her place and sometimes ignored her.. KeeKee is gone now and it's just Killer yep that is the name... dd's husband is allergic so I am sure there will not be another kitty. Enjoy your kitten as well as Lola
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu May 14, 2020 1:20 am

I am paying a lot of attention to Lola. She is getting more tolerant of Maya now. She will still growl if Maya goes right up to her, but Lola did come up on the bed and sat at one corner for a little while before leaving (and only because I reached over her to close the window). I think they will be fine together in a couple weeks. It has only been a few days. Maya doesn't seem too phased by the growling. Just turns around and walks away.

I put the ferret bed next to my pillow and Maya sleeps in that with a stuffed animal. But she also likes to curl up on my chest or shoulder. I am getting her used to lots of handling, cuddling, kisses, carrying, etc. Lola apparently didn't get any of that when she was a kitten because she doesn't like any of that. Maya is great about using her littler box and covering up, but always manages to step in her poop, so she gets her feet washed a lot! :roll:

She is starting to explore more and jump up on things so I have to watch her more too, so she doesn't get into stuff she shouldn't. If I leave the room, she meows once or twice and that is all. I was worried she would miss her mom and siblings and cry a lot, but seems to be adjusting well here.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby retiredhappy » Thu May 14, 2020 12:03 pm

I think a home is meant to be full of furbabies. She's adorable. All my babies have learned to love or at least accept, being kissed. Bella, my little white Chihuahua now puts her face up to be kissed when you pick her up. Its kind of like, okay, lets get this lovey dovey stuff over with.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu May 14, 2020 1:41 pm

Maya kissed my face this morning! So sweet! She is young enough to learn that affection is a good thing!

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to Pets