carpet odor

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

carpet odor

Postby snowball » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:47 pm

for a couple of years now Shadow has at night been peeing on the the floor just in one area.....I had him tested didn't show up anything he doesn't even let me know that he needs to go out.... so have been putting out the pee pads not sure of the name but even though I've put down stuff that I got for the carpet the odor is bad. Any ideas of what to use to get rid of the odor? I would love to rip out the carpet but not sure if that is doable in my 5th wheel I know that in some motor homes they have been really successful but there are the rollers for the slides that I need to consider as well as Shadow really doesn't like non carpet floors even though he is the cause of the problem I need to consider him... and I do like the warmth of the carpet.
so hoping for some idea's of what to try... besides sprays that don't seem to work
sheila
snowball

Re: carpet odor

Postby MandysMom » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:49 am

Are you using a enzyme cleaner specific to animal urine? Or maybe you could have a professional carpet cleaner come in and clean including their special urine removal formula.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Cudedog » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:43 am

Good morning, Sheila.

Sorry to hear about your carpet odor problem. I would like to highly recommend to you a product that I have used for more than thirty (30!) years. No, I don't have any financial stake in this company. It is an enzymatic cleaner specific to dog urine that neutralizes the urine smell.

When first applied, it has a slight smell of it's own - not at all unpleasant - but when the product dries, there is no remaining smell. No smell of the product, no smell of urine.

Many years ago, I used to breed Staffordshire Bull Terriers. This statement is a bit grand, probably, as I only bred three litters in ten years. And then I stopped. To make a long story short, at one time I kept seven medium-sized dogs (Staffords weigh around 35 - 40 pounds) inside my 800-square-foot house (!). I didn't have a kennel (they each had their own crate,and they knew whose was whose!), just a house with a back yard. Lots of "accidents", sure, especially when my dogs were young.

I often had friends come to visit that knew I had dogs, would come inside my house, and ask something like "Where are your dogs? I don't smell anything." True story.

They didn't smell anything, because I was religious in cleaning up messes - and also because I used this product.

The company is called "NILodor". 'NIL' as in 'no', thus "no-odor". The product is called "Nilodor Natural Touch" or just "Natural Touch".

Here is the company website:

https://www.nilodor.com/

Here is the product I have used for 30 years:

Spray bottle:
https://www.nilodorpets.com/OnlineCatalog/Urine_Odor_and_Stain_Eliminator-details.aspx

Gallon bottle:
https://www.nilodorpets.com/OnlineCatalog/Natural_Touch_Urine_Eliminator_Gallon-details.aspx

I always just buy the gallon size (it might seem expensive, but it is WORTH it). A gallon might last me a year or two (or more - it doesn't go bad); my Big Joe (an ex-kennel dog) will sometimes urinate on my concrete patio instead of the grass in the back yard. This product takes care of the smell on the concrete (and, of course, on carpeting or linoleum as well).

This product can be difficult to find, I'm not sure why. I used to be able to get it at my local pet supply store, but since they went out of business several years back, I have been unable to find it locally, so I just buy it online.

Amazon has it, in both the spray bottles and the gallon:

Spray:
https://www.amazon.com/Nilodor-C519-009-Urine-Stain-Eliminator/dp/B00DWZC3AU/ref=sr_1_28?dchild=1&keywords=nilodor&qid=1587652265&sr=8-28

Gallon:
https://www.amazon.com/Nilodor-Natural-Advanced-Bilogical-Remover/dp/B00063KNEY/ref=sr_1_50?dchild=1&keywords=nilodor&qid=1587652477&sr=8-50

There are a lot of different products of this kind on Amazon. **BE SURE YOU ARE GETTING THE NILODOR NATURAL TOUCH product** and not something else.

Another thing I would suggest, along with using this product, is to rent a carpet steam cleaner vaccuum from somewhere.

Liberally treat your carpet with this product (following the directions on the bottle), then use the steam cleaner to vacuum the whole treated area - to remove (suck up) the moisture to remove the Natural Touch and urine residue.

I think it is important to use the steam cleaner I think it will give you the best results when using the Natural Touch, because (as you say) this problem has been persisting for quite a while.

Probably you will have the steam cleaner for a 24-hour rental. Again, since your problem has been persisting for quite a while, I would do the process when you first get the machine, then again 20 or so hours later - before you take the machine back. If there is still any remaining moisture in your carpet - there shouldn't be much - after each time you use the machine, put a couple of towels down on the area and step on the towels until the towels are not picking anything more up, and come back mostly dry when you step on them.

Truly, Nilodor works very well. It does not "mask" the smell, but actually neutralizes and removes it.

Good luck, Sheila!

Any questions, please ask. :D

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby snowball » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:57 pm

Thanks Anne will look into that product
one thing I'd thought about doing was wetting down the areas with water with vinegar in it and using a wet vacuum on it ... not sure right now if I can get the steam cleaner perhaps when I'm out of quarantine I can look some where... would love to get the floor clean it's not been for way to long...
thank you both
sheila
snowball

Postby gingerK » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:26 pm

I swear by Nature's Miracle. It has even removed stains from my carpet. You can get it at Petsmart or Walmart.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby snowball » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:48 pm

will look into that as well... thanks for the input
Anne do you mix the gallon one with water? or use as is...
sheila
snowball

Postby Toxed2loss » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:22 am

I have used the Nature's miracle. It smells like "Coca Cola." I switched to "Unique (brand) Stain and Odor Remover" that I get on Amazon. I like it a lot better. Its even more effective. I have not used NIL. "Unique" has a mineral stain removing product too if you've ever had roof leaks, that woks terrific. Both are non-toxic.
Just because I'm disabled does not mean that I'm unabled.

The majority of disabilities are invisable. You never know what someone else is dealing with. Cut them the slack you'd like to receive.
Toxed2loss

Return to Pets