question

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

question

Postby snowball » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:47 pm

Shadow has dry eye so was put on medicine a couple years ago this year I called to get a refill never hear back from the RX place (you call them they call the vet then they process the order) so when I went in for Shadow's appointment they told me they quit making the medicine. "Gave" me a new one for 60 dollars and I was complaining about 35 :? they also gave him these vitamins for his eyes Optixcare eye lube plus to the tune of 20 a terrible thing to use and it's already gone and I am terrible suppose to be 1- 2 drops each eye 12 to 24 hours apart. this was issued on the 28 of Feb. His eye's do look better but am hoping that there is something I can use that is less expensive than these Optixcare drops ...any ideas??? thoughts?? experience?? he used to set on the couch with me all the time now he opts for the floor hate being the bad guy all the time and I know he doesn't get either drops as often as prescribed
thanks
sheila
snowball

Re: question

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:51 am

I don't have experience directly with dry eye condition. Maybe you could do a google search on the computer and read up on the condition and what different recommendations may be.

I do know that I worked with a woman how had an elderly small dog that had glaucoma that kept getting worst and the drops and medication was not effective. In that case my friend and the vet made a joint decision to remove her eyes. She adjusted and lived two more years without the agony of her eyes hurting and the frustrations of medicine that was not working.

Dogs can be expensive to care for......Most of us have shared our lives with them long enough to all understand that part.
Hope you find something OTC that might be less costly but still gives Shadow the relief he needs.

Tina
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby JudyJB » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:30 pm

I know we are different species, but I also have dry eyes, especially at night. I wake up constantly with burning eyes and have to put in eye drops. It really soothes my eyes.

Why not use one of the over-the-counter eye drops for dry eyes? Sometimes they are sold as artificial tears or just eye drops for dry eyes. They range in price from $3 - $15 for a small bottle. And there are larger bottles also. There are two kinds--daytime drops that are thinner and thicker gel nighttime drops that stay in your eyes longer.

I have no idea about vitamins for eyes. Never had anyone prescribe them for me.

If over-the-counter e artificial tears or eye drops for dry eyes don't hurt humans, they shouldn't hurt pets.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:08 am

The Vet had me use the human grade brand Genteal when Josef had a reaction to a antibiotic last year that was effecting his eyes.... It is for dry eye in humans. I think Walmart has a generic sitting on the shelf next to the name brand.....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Cudedog » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:14 am

BirdbyBird wrote:The Vet had me use the human grade brand Genteal when Josef had a reaction to a antibiotic last year that was effecting his eyes.... It is for dry eye in humans. I think Walmart has a generic sitting on the shelf next to the name brand.....

Be a little bit careful with Walmart "generics". I have dry eye from time to time, probably due to my cataract surgery (both eyes) several years ago, now.

I use the brand-name eyedrops called "Systane". It is a bit pricey - I think around $15.00 for a very small vial. These Systane drops are very soothing, and really help when my eyes are dry (I don't need to use the drops every day, just once in a while).

I tried the Walmart generic version of these drops one time (to save some money), and these generic drops made my eyes burn. Very uncomfortable, I had to use water to wash the drops out again.

Just to be fair, I will say that I use many other kinds of Walmart generics without problem.

So just be careful. I would suggest using the brand-name drops first (of whatever brand-name you choose) and if they seem to work without causing discomfort, only then would I try the generic - making sure to watch my pet for any indication of discomfort.

I had an old dog that had surgery for "cherry eye" when she was young, and needed eye drops twice a day when she got to be an old dog, so I know how expensive prescription drops can be. The costs for our aging friends do add up, but you do what you gotta do.

Good luck!

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby snowball » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:45 pm

the prescription one he still has lots of the lubricant I thought was empty but when I shook it seems like there is still some in it but will when out of the prescription try some of the over the counter drops
thanks for your thoughts
sheila
snowball

Return to Pets