Natural death instead of euthanasia question

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Natural death instead of euthanasia question

Postby RitaMc » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:54 am

Breezie is 16 years old, will be 17 on September 2. She has had a bad summer. Started in May with a bad cough which her veterinarian diagnosed as a reaction to her allergies. After 2 months on cough syrup and prednisone she was better. However at the time of her diagnosis the xray showed a slight shadow along her lung. We decided at that time not to do any further diagnostic tests. We would not be treating her except to keep her comfortable. Last week she quit eating and started to vomit bile. I know the end is coming. She is not in pain and only seems to want to be around John and I.
We have decided to let her have a natural death instead of euthanasia unless she seems in pain. Have others made this choice and now thinking back regretted your decision. My heart is breaking and I cry constantly. She has been my shadow for almost 13 years. Even if she rallies and regains some strength I know the decision of euthanasia will have to be made as I will not take her to Yuma again. I would hate to have to find a veterinarian in some unkown town .

Rita
1969 Shasta Loyfyte / Jeep Grand Cherokee
Breezie on the road again
[Image
RitaMc

Re: Natural death instead of euthanasia question

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:28 am

Rita, I am so sorry to hear this. It is a very difficult and painful decision and a very personal one. Follow your instincts and evaluate her quality of life. Like you said, if she is in pain or suffering at all, it is time for the dreaded trip to the vet.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Cudedog » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:29 am

RitaMc wrote:Breezie is 16 years old, will be 17 on September 2. She has had a bad summer. Started in May with a bad cough which her veterinarian diagnosed as a reaction to her allergies. After 2 months on cough syrup and prednisone she was better. However at the time of her diagnosis the xray showed a slight shadow along her lung. We decided at that time not to do any further diagnostic tests. We would not be treating her except to keep her comfortable. Last week she quit eating and started to vomit bile. I know the end is coming. She is not in pain and only seems to want to be around John and I.
We have decided to let her have a natural death instead of euthanasia unless she seems in pain. Have others made this choice and now thinking back regretted your decision. My heart is breaking and I cry constantly. She has been my shadow for almost 13 years. Even if she rallies and regains some strength I know the decision of euthanasia will have to be made as I will not take her to Yuma again. I would hate to have to find a veterinarian in some unkown town .

Rita

Rita, I am so sorry to hear of the illness of Breezie. To experience the final illness of a loved one, of whatever species, is one of life's most devastating experiences. I know this from my heart. I weep with you.

In answer to your question above, I would first say that this is an extremely difficult decision, and there is not a "one size fits all" solution. It is your decision, and yours alone.

Having said that, I would like to share that I have lost three much beloved companions over the last four years. One after another. My Cude dog (hence my screen name) was nearly 17 years of age when she passed. My Rod man, nearly 14 1/2. My Sweet Girl 15 1/2.

For the first two I chose the "natural death" solution. For My Sweet Girl, I finally chose euthanasia, waiting far too near the end, when the "living" just became unbearable for us both. It is difficult for me to think about, even now.

While I do not regret these choices, I do wish that I had had the strength and determination to choose otherwise for these sweet, loving and innocent beings. "Natural death" in most cases does not prolong life (certainly not in the cases above), it just prolongs the dying. For me, and for these wonderful companions, in the end, "natural death" was. . . not pretty. The actual dying was not sudden, but went on for weeks, and for months. Good days (giving unwarranted hope), interspersed with very bad days (the harbinger of tragedy).

I was often told that "I would know when it was time". I never did know. I never could tell. Perhaps my heart would not allow it.

Again, the decision is yours, and yours alone.

For myself, I do most sincerely hope - and pray - that when the time comes near for my Big Joe that I will recognize it for what it is, and to take the necessary steps to reward him for a life well spent.

Of course, for me, the pain and sadness for those that have gone from me never resolves.

It is the price we pay for love.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby havingfunnow » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:12 pm

I've always tried to act on the dog's quality of life -- "Is he still having fun?" Of course, it can be hard to tell.

At 17, The William would still occasionally slip out of the house/yard and wander toward the neighborhood park. Poor guy could barely see or hear, and he was unsteady on his legs -- but he was still having fun! And adventures!

Then came the day that he fell on a two-step drop indoors, landed awkwardly, and couldn't get up. It clearly hurt him. Luckily I was home and lifted him to his feet within a minute. No permanent damage.

But what if I'd been grocery shopping or out with friends? What if he'd laid there for hours alone, in pain, and helpless? He wasn't getting any stronger, and it was very likely to happen again. That's a lousy quality of life. It was time to call the vet.

The timing is different for everyone, so the decision is too. Nobody else knows your dog like you do. I'm so, so sorry for your pain.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Bethers » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:16 pm

I cry with you. I waited longer for me than for Peaches the last couple weeks before making the decision. If I didn't work; if I could have been with her 24/7 (and I mean 24/7) I might have waited longer. It would have been more for me, and I know that. She didn't enjoy food. She no longer enjoyed her beloved creek. As I sat in the vet's office, Peaches, who was never a lap dog, curled up in my lap with her head on my arm looking at me and I know she understood. I watched her look more at peace than she had for too long. It wasn't until that moment that I knew I was making the right decision for her. With my previous 2 dogs it was much more obvious when it was time. Not easier, but obvious.

All I can say, is search within yourself and ask if it was you, what would you want anyone to do? And whatever your decision, it'll be the right one.

Big hugs!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Rufflesgurl » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:42 pm

So sorry to hear about Breezie. I went through similar situation with my Shih Tzu, RAgs. He was 16, couldn't hear, barely
could see or walk, stopped eating but he never cried as if in pain. There was no quality of life for him at all. The day I made the decision, we both knew it was definitely time. When he was laying on the table at the vet's, I had tears but he never did cry in pain so it was peaceful. He suffered no more. He was the first dog I've owned that I needed to do this for. That was almost a year and a half ago.

You will make the decision at the right time.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:20 pm

I think most of us hang on to our pets longer than we should. Just because they are not in pain does not mean they have a quality life. I saw this in the hospital many times. Family wants everything done but they will never come back like they were in many cases but the family just cant let go. I understand the feeling for sure. I have had to have 2 of my cats put down over the years and it was the hardest and kindest thing I could do for them. My choice was taken away from me last year for my dog. She was 14 1/2, had a massive stroke and died in her bed. As peaceful as it was it was no less devastating. I think this decision does not come lightly for any of us. But is often the kindest thing we can do for our pets.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:03 pm

It is a decision that we all must come to on our own. That being said, at 68 and having spent most of my adult life with multiple pets, both cats and dogs, I have made that final ride to the vet's office for most all of them. None of them went to bed one night, had a heart attack and was found dead in the morning. I remember each and every one of them. Having been blessed to share my life with so many I have become very aware of that quality of life issue. And the question of who those extra days and weeks are for. I read a heart breaking article about ten years ago regarding how, as several of the above ladies have mentioned, that often we find ourselves waiting too long. When we know that they are on that long or short slide and it is all downhill, it isn't a bad thing to let them keep their dignity at the end. Herschel could still slowly wag his tail for the techs that last morning and walked into the office under his own wobbly powers but it didn't mean he wasn't ready to have peace. I watched my parents wait too long with a dog from my youth that made it until my college years. It doesn't ever leave my memory.

Realize that animals don't always demonstrate their level of pain or their level of confusion with life. For a dog that has always eaten consistently, not eating is a sign.

This is another one of life's decisions that no one gives us a crystal ball for. Have I always known, absolutely, that my decision was absolutely the best one. No. But it has always been my responsible as imperfect as I my knowledge is to not let them linger un-necessarily. I like Karen's response. Have I ever had regrets for helping them pass? No

Some of my animals have had specific health issues that shortened their lives others just grew old with some of the usual old age issues.

Cats I have shared my adult life with:
Mary Smith 15 years
George 11 years (got out of the house and was hit by a car)
Theodore 14 years
Henry 16 years
Ed 17 years
(Current feline residents: Gus and Wanda)

Dogs of my adult life: Each one has their story and shared a place in my life and heart...
Sadie 13 years
Alice 13 years
Friday 10 years
Sugar 10 years (Sugar died over night at the Emergency Vet Clinic. I regret that I didn't just made the decision after I found her collapsed in the yard and took her in and was told it was so serious. I think it would have been better than her being alone at the clinic.)
Arthur 7 years
Grace 9 years
Honor 15 years
Herschel 12 years
Blondie 11 years
Stuart 11 years
Remi 10 years
And it never ever gets any easier. Though I trust my self a little more now. I better understand that they will not suffer and will be free and I will survive the grief in time even if I carry it in my heart for ever.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Rita~
So sad to read about Breezie's downturn. It is always a hard decision. I knew Zorro's time was coming soon last February and was waiting for a sign and for him to tell me it was time. He had a very small seizure that morning, nothing compared to the one and only one he had years before.

Since I am fulltiming and was near Quartzite, I found a great vet in Yuma to take him to. I believe it was Foothills Animal Clinic.

My heart goes out to you at this time. It's hard to do, but I always remember the poem A Dog's Plea. Its helped me make that tough decision more than once.

(((Hugs)))
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:11 pm

A Dog’s Plea
Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for although I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Author Unknown
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Redetotry » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:49 am

I am so sorry you are faced with this decision . DH and I have different opinions and I have always been the one to say it's time, except with our little Andy who was his heart dog. Although I said with him it was DH's decision I finally had to say it is time. He agreed and I think he was glad I stepped in. Sending big hugs to you all as you go through this and may you be at peace with whatever you decide.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 am

So sorry for what you're going through. I've always thought of it as being my last loving act of kindness for my beloved pet. Its never easy but I just don't want to ever look back and think I should have waited. When a pet stops eating its their sign and often they don't show the pain or confusion they're in. I've always held my pet in my arms during the procedure and it helps to see them slip gently into the next life. My heart goes out to you.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Cudedog » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:24 pm

retiredhappy wrote: I've always held my pet in my arms during the procedure and it helps to see them slip gently into the next life. My heart goes out to you.

This is also the way that I do it. Having owned, bred and shown Staffordshire Bull Terriers for many, many years I have always said that as I was the first person they saw as they came into this world, I can do no more than to make certain that I am the last person they see as they leave it.

And, yes, it does help - if only a little - to hold them in your arms.

It is the last best thing that I can do for one that I love.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby RitaMc » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Thank you all for your support. We had agreed as long as she seemed comfortable we would see if natural death came. This morning she had 2 episodes where she seemed uncomfortable. Severe shivering and then an episode of muscle quivering. I think those are seizures or pain. I made the appointment for euthanasia. It will be done tomorrow morning or late this afternoon if she can be squeezed in later this afternoon. I need people telling me to buck up and get a gripe. This is the 5th time I have had to do this and with each dog I react so emotionally. Each time I say. "I can't do this any more. I will never get another dog." and yet here I am doing it again. I love dogs! Thank you for your friendship and support.
Rita
1969 Shasta Loyfyte / Jeep Grand Cherokee
Breezie on the road again
[Image
RitaMc

Postby BarbaraRose » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 pm

((hugs)) :cry:

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Next

Return to Pets