Ty

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Re: Ty

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:25 am

Exciting news! Welcome to the group Ty! Beth, so happy for you.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Liz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:55 am

What a beautiful dog! I'm so happy for you. It looks like he has made himself at home. Tell us more.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Doing happy dance here. You know how much I love rescues. Welcome Ty, kisses and hugs.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:01 pm

I've been worried about Ty getting the needed exercise as there are no fenced dog parks locally. Closest is an hour drive. So I took a chance today. We walked uphill the mile to the cemetery Peaches loved. I kept him on a 15/16 foot lead throwing a tennis ball short distances. After he brought it back immediately, every time, I took him off lead and threw it further... Again and again and again lol When he returned it what I considered the last time I held up the leash and he laid down for me to put it on. I'm still nervous about this, but it's a very good start. Luckily I brought water and a bowl. And he is now home sleeping soundly. I'm going to head back to work for a bit.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Sounds like a good start! What kind of issues does he have?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Various fears that have probably come from 3 homes (that I know of) and two different fosters... So at least 5 homes in about 5 years. He was truly bonded with one of his owners but he had to give him up due to illness (Ty actually fought letting the EMT's to the owner... I hope we bond as well). He's not sure of people and less sure of kids. They say he's a potential biter. I've not seen signs of that and it may go back to his protecting his person. Peaches was definitely a potential biter, so I can deal with that. His breed(s) make him highly intelligent and also super stubborn so it's critical that he learns to obey commands. He knows several but is picking and choosing when to obey. He's learning I'm even more stubborn than he is :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Well those dont sound so bad. Nothing that cannot be overcome I would suspect. With discipline and guidance he should learn quickly. He has had a rough start so I am thinking he might have been a bit fearful from where he was in so many places. The stability and guidance you will provide him I bet he will be a super dog. Him being the only dog and learning to rely on you for safety and security he will get over his fears. Arent all dogs potential biters in certain situations??
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby monik7 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Well, all I can say is I think Ty hit the jackpot! Lucky dog. Do you know how old he is?
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Bethers » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:29 pm

It's believed he's about 5. I'm taking him to my vet Friday, so hopefully he'll get a good check up and I'll see what she thinks on age.
Beth
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 pm

OregonLuvr wrote:. . . Him being the only dog and learning to rely on you for safety and security he will get over his fears. Arent all dogs potential biters in certain situations??

Well said, Karen. The answer is, of course, "yes!".

Many years ago I did obedience work with a man who trained police dogs for a living. Since my dog at that time was an APBT (American Pit Bull Terrier) he was pretty unsure of her when we first started out. Within a very short time he was very impressed with her - and with my - progress. She was the first dog I had ever tried to train, first dog I had ever taken to a trainer, let alone tried to do obedience work with. And she was a young dog who had never had any training - at all - previous to that time (eventually she would work totally off-leash: heel, sit, stay, down, go away, come - the works - using only hand signals, no verbalization. She even saved my life once.)

He also trained dogs for local people from time to time, and he was fond of the following story.

He said that he was once approached by a couple that had a "problem" dog (I forget what the dog's issues were - most likely they were "owner issues", :lol: as is so often the case).

The couple asked him, that if he trained their dog (his training was not cheap!), if he would guarantee that the dog would never bite. He would always pause at this point, before continuing: "The only way I can positively guarantee that your dog will never bite is if you pull all of his teeth." He wasn't joking.

He was a wise man, I think.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Colliemom » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:07 am

Wow Beth. He's a pretty neat dog. Looks like he already is settling in. Going to make a great traveling companion. So glad you two found each other. Looking forward to hearing about the adventures you two get into.
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby Pooker » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:01 am

Happy for you, Beth. Poor Ty has had so much upheaval in his little life, but the pictures show he's settling into your life quite well. Good for both of you. Looking forward to meeting him someday.

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby Bethers » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:32 pm

I've discovered Ty isn't very fond of men. Somewhat scared of them. It takes him time to warm up to most, but it's fairly quick with women.

He's very smart and learns pretty quickly without distractions. It's so crazy now in Keystone, it's hard to work with him outside, but we are.

I'm not used to a dog sleeping against me. I wake up hot a few times (at least) during the night. He goes under a blanket lol
Beth
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:33 am

All my furbabies sleep with me under the covers. Just think of Ty as your personal heater in the winter. I encourage them to get under the covers cause if they sleep on top, I'm like a mummy and can't move. The little chihuahua Daphne, is the worst. she has to be right up against me with my arm or arms around her and her little head tucked under on chin on on my arm. If I turn over I have to take her with me as I turn. Spoiled???
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby IrishIroamed » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:01 am

Karen~ got a chuckle of your nighttime escapade with Daphne. Wheee! A roller coaster ride in the middle of the night.

Beth~ Punk was a little standoffish of men initially too. He's gotten better, but he may still be a little Leary of some men. Dog instincts help me pay more attention to them. Figure he senses something I don't.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

PreviousNext

Return to Pets