Heartwarming pitbull story

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Heartwarming pitbull story

Postby MandysMom » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:53 am

South of here in Stockton Ca, a young mother and her 7 mo old baby are asleep. Suddenly she is awakened by her pitbull Sasha, frantically throwing herself against the back door and barking furiously. Getting up and going to the door to check, the woman opens the door only to have Sasha race past her into the house. About this moment the woman realizes there is a fire. She follows the dog into the house to go grab her baby, and finds Sasha holding the baby by her diaper trying to carry her out of the house. The woman grabs baby in one hand and Sasha's collar in the other, and all 3 escape safely! happened last week, and Sweet Sasha is being hailed a hero who saved 2 lives! One grateful Mom to have her own life and that of her baby and her dog. For once a great pitbull story!
Velda
MandysMom

Re: Heartwarming pitbull story

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:29 am

Animals can do some amazing things. Not many of them are strong enough to try to actually carry the baby though.....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Cudedog » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:27 am

Velda, thanks for posting this.

I have owned - and loved - and trained - "pitbull" type dogs for over 40 (forty) years.

Those of you who were at the Eagle Lake get together last August met my sweet boy Big Joe (who is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier).

This story does not surprise me in the least. All of the dogs that I have owned over nearly a lifetime (my children grew up with them) have, without exception, been wonderful dogs. And, yes, they are strong enough, and smart enough, and determined enough (they are a very smart and determined breed!) to recognize the danger, and to carry a baby by the diaper - I'll wager even my 34 pound boy could have done it.

I might tell the story of when my UKC-Registered American Pit Bull Terrier probably saved my life. This would be well over 30 (thirty) years ago, now. I might write that one, once I don't have so much on my plate as I do at the moment.

There are, of course, dogs of incorrect temperament of every breed. Unfortunately, and to my great dismay, pit bulls, and pit bull type dogs, are the "dog du jour" these days so far as the media is concerned. It is generally not news when these dogs just go along generally enjoying their lives, and the lives of their families. They are just. . . dogs. As this story amply illustrates. They are not killing machines.

It is only "news" when something untoward - or downright awful - happens. I am generally attracted to these "news" stories, and always look for photos of the dog in question that goes with the story, to make my own verification. About 95% of the time, the dog pictured as the culprit is not of the breed described. Why might this be, do you ask? The simple reason is that "Lab bites owner" or "Chihuahua bites owner" is not news - thus does not sell newspapers, or television advertising. "Pit Bull bites" hits the headlines every time - whether or not the dog in question is actually of this stated breed. Most often, it is not.

Because of this, it is becoming more and more difficult for me to travel with my dog. Many - if not most - of the private RV campgrounds do not allow my breed. If I should show up anyway with my dog, I can be refused and my pre-paid deposit forfeit. Fortunately, at least so far, the state campgrounds in California and Oregon do not have breed restrictions. Just rules that one's dog be leashed, and poop picked up. This is fair and reasonable.

This is not a sob story, or a "woe-is-me" story. This is only a request that the ladies on here, and the public at large, try to understand what is going on. If my breed goes, your breed may be next.

Stopping now. I have posted this kind of thing before, and likely will sometime again.

Thanks for reading.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby SoCalGalcas » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:04 pm

I understand where you are coming from Annie. A friend of mine had a very highly trained Doberman Pincer. She was a search and rescue dog. Those are another bred with a bad reputation. lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby monik7 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:26 pm

And the pit bull in this story was just a pup at 8 months old. I’ve met Anne’s sweet, lovable Big Joe. What a great dog!
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Great story. I have to admit tho I am very wary of big dogs. My small dog was attacked once in an RV park from an off leash Pit. Dumb owners for sure. The manager gave them 20 minutes to vacate as this was not the first time this dog was off leash. I too met Anne's dog BigJoe and he was super well behaved. Good owner for sure. I am just not used to being around big dogs but I always figure if I dont bother them they wont bother me LOL
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Birdie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:38 am

I am going to add a sad but successful big dog story. My folks here are big on rescues....any animal. They have 2 rescue horses, and 3 cats and 2 dogs. The dogs are a brindle Great Dane and a Shepherd mix.

This story is about the Great Dane, Bones. He got his name because when they got him, he was skin and bones. This dog, fairly young, was left in an outside dog run with no food and no water. The man, a professional services man, who rescued him ask around the neighborhood about why he kept seeing this skinny dog without water in that run. His answer was those people moved and no one is brave enough to go near him.

So he called my friends and asked if they would take him, if he could get him in his truck. My friend said, just what we need another big horse dog to help eat us out of house and home. But when she saw him she just cried. What a beautiful dog he is and a good guard dog.

You had better not cross the fence line if he says woof, woof! He often has a muzzle on, primarily for his barking, but also when strangers, to him, come and definitely the service folks. (He put one guy who came to inspect something on the property in his van twice. He failed to call to tell my friend he was coming. He put a friend who came to fish in the pond, in the back of his pickup truck cuz he couldn’t get the door open and in the cab quick enough...he was to have called me about when he was coming over, but he didn’t call. Yep he called the next time. He fessed up to the folks about his screw up!) I put it on him when he would not stop barking at the neighbor. When I got ready to take it off 20 minutes later, he kept nuzzling it trying to get it back on. So I put it on him again for a few minutes. This repeated for 5 times. I finally told him to get over it and put it up. He has learned to let the cats walk all over him and love on him! Doesn’t chase the horses, cows or alpacas. Just had lousy, uncaring first owners. I wonder how those folks treat their kids.

Anne, I always enjoy your stories. Thanks for making it possible for mr to jump in with my story.

Birdie
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Return to Pets