Peaches Update

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Peaches Update

Postby Bethers » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Peaches is going on two heart medications. One is a diuretic which may be bad for her kidney levels, but we want to get rid of any of the excess fluids. I can, with their guidance, lower or discontinue that one at any time. We have a follow up appt for next Monday... and I'm to call with any questions or problems if necessary before then. Crossing fingers and toes that these can help her. No guarantees, of course, but I feel good about this vet. (The vet spent over an hour of his time with us... vet tech even more!) Bad news... Peaches was a perfect weight 3 weeks ago. She's lost 2 pounds since then, which is way too much. We don't want to hurt her kidneys even more than the diuretics. But I'll be giving her just about anything to help her eat right now.

I'd appreciate your fingers and toes crossed with mine.

I want her smile back:
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Peaches Update

Postby monik7 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Beth, Peaches and you have my prayers that things improve, she gains weight and gets back to her normal self soon. Hang in there. You’re the best thing Peaches has.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Rufflesgurl » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Beth - Glad you took Peaches to another vet and were happy with what you were told. I know you miss her smile and happy little self.
Prayers this schedule works positively for her. You re such a good mom!

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby snowball » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:29 pm

hope that this is the fix needed
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:47 am

Keeping you and Peaches in my thoughts and prayers!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Cudedog » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:53 am

My heartfelt prayers for you and Peaches. What a sweetie. I'm glad that you took her to another vet. Sending hope and good wishes your way.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby MandysMom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:08 am

It's so hard dealing with our fur kids who can't tell us what is wrong. My thoughts and prayers for Peaches to feel better and for your peace of mind.
MandysMom

Postby Irmi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:17 pm

I hope Peaches gets better and stronger everyday. Prayers sent.
Irmi

Postby Bethers » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm afraid to say anything too soon, but I see an improvement already AND she just ate a good breakfast! I have to closely watch for certain reactions, and will, but so far, progress. :D
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MandysMom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Good news. Sending a hg to Peaches.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby monik7 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:42 pm

Abby, Bindi and I send our prayers that things are getting better and Peaches will be her perfect self very soon. Go Peaches!!! (((((HUGS))))) for you both.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Guess I’m not all the way up to speed on Peaches’ illness. From what I just read it sounds like congestive heart failure?
My dog is starting this road in his senior years. He gets coughing spells sometimes. The vet said diuretics will be prescribed in the later stage. I try not to think to far head. Just too hard.
Hugs, Beth. I hurt for you both.
AlmostThere

Postby Bethers » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:35 pm

Lenora, long story short. Peaches has always had a heart murmur, so CHF has always been something to watch for down the road. She also had had high kidney levels for a few years that I've been mainly controlling through diet. A few weeks ago, taking her to a new to her vet down here, they wanted to try sub q fluids to help her kidneys. She overdosed on the fluids, causing her lungs to fill with fluids and her heart congestion. I went to another vet yesterday and we're hoping to being Peaches back. I'm hopeful as there have already been some good signs. But I'm also still very worried and scared. The diuretics are not good for her kidneys so using them has to be limited and short term.

Thanks everyone for your support. All through this I'll never forget that it's about Peaches and what's best for her.
Beth
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:23 pm

Beth, glad to hear some improvement. She probably wont be on the diuretic long term anyway because once the extra fluid is resolved she should be much better. Dont know about any residual heart damage but I doubt it. Not uncommon for dogs/people to have a murmur, just depends how big of one and what kind (ie: which valve) BUT all thru the years she has been just dandy so I hope she can return to normal. Of course she is slower now as she is older LOL just like the rest of us ha ha
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:39 pm

Karen, plan is to cut the dosage of the diuretic with her 2nd dose Friday. Then at the vet's monday, if all goes according to plan, discontinue it altogether. If the two drugs do as hoped we'll be able to get a better read on whether her murmur worsened or the fluids made it appear that way.
Beth
Bethers

Next

Return to Pets