traveling with dogs

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

traveling with dogs

Postby snowball » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:32 pm

not me... ;)
My niece is making a job change...so going from Portland OR to Omaha...her husband is following later in the car with the dogs...suggestions on motels that are dog friendly??? know most of you take your own rig but perhaps you have good ideas...also one gets car sick any thoughts of what to do to help that issue?
sheila
snowball

Re: traveling with dogs

Postby Cudedog » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:41 am

snowball wrote:not me... ;)
My niece is making a job change...so going from Portland OR to Omaha...her husband is following later in the car with the dogs...suggestions on motels that are dog friendly??? know most of you take your own rig but perhaps you have good ideas...also one gets car sick any thoughts of what to do to help that issue?
sheila

Years ago, when I pounded the dog show circuit, Motel 6 was always dog friendly, at least in the area the show was held. Not surprisingly, as a dog show can attract literally hundreds of exhibitors.

Not sure if this is still the case for Motel 6, but might be worth checking out.

Your vet might be able to prescribe some anti-nausea medication for the trip. It also helps if the dogs are crate-trained to ride in a crate while traveling.

Mess from a dog that barfs in a plastic crate is a lot easier to clean up than from one that barfs all over the back seat. :shock:

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby longdog2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:50 am

Motel 6 is definitely dog friendly.....all the way to Calgary and back and east to Florida.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby JudyJB » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:34 pm

If she has a few days, she should take them for very short car rides, like around the block, and give them very small special treats as they ride. A lot of pets associate car rides with bad things like trips to the vet. It would help to associate rides with good things. Ditto for staying in a crate. Leave crate door open in house and put some treats like chcken in each day.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Also check out Red Roofs. Most are dog friendly. They might say one dog only but dog show people use them all the time and just don't say anything about their numbers. It is useful to have a room on the ground floor and those with doors directly to the outside are prized. Most of us ask for a room on the ground floor when ever possible. I have a friend who has one of her dogs that gets car sick traveling. She discovered that if the crate is either covered or down low enough that the dog can not see out the dog had no problem with travel. for that dog anyway it was a visual thing.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby monik7 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:10 pm

I was worried about my cat when I first took her along in my RV. She started out up on the bed and she did throw up. However, it got a little better with each ride. Then, the best solution was one she figured out for herself. Being down on the floor loose was much better because of less sway as we drove along or around corners. She's free to roam wherever, but the floor is her choice when we're driving. Since she's been on the floor, she doesn't throw up anymore. Occasionally she spits up some fluid, but it's much easier to clean off the floor that's not carpeted than on the bed.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Yep, Motel 6 allows pets and are free. Other motels allow them but sometimes charge a fee. The Holiday Inn I was just at allows up to 2 dogs for $20 per night, no cats tho. I think there is a website that lists places that allow pets.

There are calming collars for dogs. I use one on my cat and it works very well. I think those thundershirts would also work.

Here is a link to some at Amazon. I use the Sentry one for cats.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... 9e14nbo0_e
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:18 pm

Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby WickedLady » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Dramamine works for dogs too.
WickedLady

Return to Pets