Flea, Tick and Heartworm Meds

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Re: Flea, Tick and Heartworm Meds

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:08 am

I've switched all my dogs to Proheart, a six month shot which runs about $5.00 per month. Heartworm is really bad here in Texas. Two of my babies that I adopted from a shelter were heartworm positive. Both dogs were not highly infected so my vet suggested the "slow kill" method which is just putting them on a heart worm medicine for six months and retesting. Both got the Proheart shot and in six months they were negative. The really harsh treatment is now only done for highly infected dogs.

I don't have a flea problem, thank God, so don't use any flea meds. Their backyard is gravel and my house has wood floors with throw rugs which are washing regularly thus no fleas.

Nikki, I've never added up what my dogs vet bills cost me annually (Proheart, flu, kennel cough, rabies, etc) it would probably give me a heart attack. I'm using the money I used to spend on traveling for them and that's okay with me. They're worth every penny. I only give rabies once every THREE years. Most vets want to do it every year but they only make a THREE year rabies vaccine so you're over medicating if you give annually. Its because most cities want it given every year and if you license your dogs (which I never do) then the vets will suggest it annually. Ask your vet if he uses the much more expensive yearly vaccine or the three year one.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Acadianmom » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:14 pm

It's interesting what BJ said about HeartGard and herding dogs. Our dog is a border collie and HeartGard quit working for him. He gets a Proheart shot every 6 months. His is $60 because he is 45 lbs.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Wanderer2 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi Martha-I get Maggie her medicine from Joe's Pet Meds. I use Advocate, which is the Australian version of Advantage Multi(fleas, heartworm and worms) It cost $57 for a 3 month supply. She weighs in a hefty 75 pounds. I have been using it for quite a while and it works. No RX required. Hope that this helps. Linda
Wanderer2

Previous

Return to Pets