Poor Abby and Bindi

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Re: Poor Abby and Bindi

Postby havingfunnow » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:46 pm

I notice the posting for that one includes a list of states/cities/counties where it cannot be shipped. I think it's probably legal in some places and not in others.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby cnq50b » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:30 pm

My sister got me a flashlight/taser combo for my bday. Its made by Damsel in defense. Here's a link to their website: http://damselindefense.net - it looks like they sell their products thru home shows. Maybe someone here should become an agent.
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby Liz » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:09 pm

I agree with you, Sandi. That happens far too often. Yesterday a dog off leash came running up to Thistle. Fortunately it was small and friendly, but I didn't know who it belonged to. There were people sitting outside a few sites down. I just stood there with Thistle on his leash waiting for someone to come get their dog. Finally a woman from that site came over saying her dog was nice. Sure lady, they all are, but they are all supposed to be on a leash in the cg. I was standing right by the sign that says so. I never know how Thistle is going to react when a dog rushes up to him. Sometimes, especially big dogs, the reaction is not friendly.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby monik7 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:42 pm

That one from Amazon seems awfully strong. I don't want to kill a dog, just scare it enough to stay away. The dog that attacked Bindi was small enough for me to easily grab the hair and skin on its back and lift it off the ground. I'd be afraid that the strong one from Amazon that Karen posted could kill a dog that size. I imagine one of those would be good to fend off a human attacker. I wonder if there's something similar but less strong for dogs.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:53 pm

Reading further about the tazers it is not really that strong, and you just have to hit it once it is not like the tazers police have. If you need to really stop someone you just hold the button down otherwise just a click zaps them once. I would only use it if necessary to really protect my dog or myself. I am no match for a raging pit bull or other aggressive type dog in attack mode.

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:26 am

monik7 wrote:...I think I'm going to start carrying a big stick!

Pepper Spray
Bear Spray
Stun Baton

I think I like the idea of a stun baton the best - that way, no spray-back on you or your pups.

ON EDIT: http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com/self-defense-stun-guns-baton-stun-guns-sub=37

mitch5252

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:23 pm

Loose dogs are a pet peeve of mine also. I think the only times I've been frightened traveling alone have been encounters with loose dogs. Nicky has been attacked more than once. He is afraid of large dogs and sometimes defensive/aggressive when another dog runs at him.
I really think campgrounds should do a better job of enforcing leash rules. I've never stopped anywhere that did not say they require dog to be on leash no longer than 6' but have rarely seen any enforcement of the rule.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby monik7 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:07 pm

I'm back in the same park in Bakersfield where Abby and Bindi were attacked. The owner gave me a free night and a space at the far end from where the dog is. He said he told the woman her dog must always be tied up or on a leash or she will have to leave the park. I don't plan on walking the dogs near her. I even noticed a couple loose dogs at the park near Disneyland. Unleashed dogs and irresponsible owners seem to be a universal problem.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Rufflesgurl » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:44 am

A couple hours after reading this, I was out front talking to a neighbor lady and her two little girls when this little black dog came running and barking across the street. He went right toward the little girls and I said that dog needs to be on a leash. The owner came out of her house and apologized saying that she went to the door and the dog ran out that's why it wasn't on leash. She also said the dog was friendly - it didn't appear to be when it ran right to the frightened little girls with it's hair raised on it's back.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby mtngal » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:40 pm

Re the tasers: I like the ones with a wrist strap.
Diana
mtngal

Postby snowball » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:49 am

I have the tv on a lot for noise...and some times it just is that some others I sit and absorb
but have noticed on Judge Judy she has a lot of stories with dogs off leash she isn't happy when the
dog is off leash :lol:
sheila
snowball

Postby lostintime » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:56 am

A very good trainer I know carries an umbrella. I can be used in many ways to advocate and defend both you and your dog. Even if you pop it open in an approaching dogs face, it usually startles them enough to stop them and when furled it can still be used like a cane...
Run fast.....Bark loud!
lostintime

Previous

Return to Pets