Farewell My William

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Farewell My William

Postby havingfunnow » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:48 pm

William is crossing the Rainbow Bridge tomorrow. I’ll miss him terribly, but it is time. To keep him here longer would be selfish of me and painful for him.

He’s one of the sweetest dogs I’ve ever known. He had some abandonment issues from his early life, and he hated to be left alone. We had to arrange errand times so that he wouldn’t be too hot in the car. People liked to stop by our parked car and talk to him through the window, especially children.

He thought every new person or animal he met was a new friend. He was so shocked when Mama Raccoon, who had come onto our back porch, didn’t want him to play with her kits! He was wagging his tail and giving his play bow, so why was she growling?

He was such a back-seat driver. I suspect an automobile accident led to his time as a stray. He preferred to stand with his head between the two front seats, giving me his opinion on the traffic, the road conditions, and everything I did. He didn’t really like freeway driving. He preferred the Blue Ridge Parkway – 35 mph and stopping at every overlook.

He always thought that one day he would actually catch a squirrel. They enjoyed his frenzy enough to perch on the fence, lashing their tails and chittering at him while he ran and barked on the ground. He tried to climb the trees to get to them, and he always believed that one day he’d do it. Failure did not discourage him!

He was astonishingly attuned to emotion. I always laughed when he chased his tail, because he looked so silly. About two revolutions and he’d be staggering like a drunken sailor. On my darkest days, he would plant himself in front of me, give a bark, and grab for his tail. It always cheered me up.

I will miss him so.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Re: Farewell My William

Postby WickedLady » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:11 pm

Always hard to lose a family member; so sorry.
WickedLady

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Awww! That is such a painful decision to make but the right one for our furbabies when they no longer have a good quality of life. Sounds like you have a lot of wonderful memories with him to carry you thru your grief and beyond! He will still be there with you in spirit!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby gingerK » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:57 pm

I am so very sorry, Louise. It's never easy to make this decision. Rest easy, Sweet William. Good dog.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Bethers » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:52 pm

Oh, Louise, I'm so sorry. I think some of the hardest moments in our lives are doing the right things for our fur babies at the end of theirs. Tell William I agree about how to travel.

Hugs you you.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cudedog » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:01 pm

Oh Louise.

I sit here reading, and weep for you and for your William. I have lost three old dogs, my best friends all, in the last three years. All were born into my hands, and all were sent on their way with despair.

They all, each one of them, took away with them a large piece of my heart that I will never get back. I can feel them sitting here beside me still.

My thoughts and prayers for you and for William, in this most difficult, and most excruciating, time that comes to all of us who truly love our dogs.

May God bless you both. I wish I had the words to ease your pain.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby MandysMom » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:01 am

Such a difficult but necessary decision and our last act of love for our fur babies. Sending love and hugs for you both.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby avalen » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:05 am

Oh so sorry, these decisions are never easy, I will grieve with you as I remember the many time I've been through this myself.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:54 am

So sorry Louise. This is one of the hardest decisions we ever make, in my opinion but the right thing to do for our beloved babies. Just remember, somewhere out there is a dog that desperately needs a loving home before he's killed at some shelter. William would be proud of you for sharing your love with another stray.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:28 am

Stuart says, "Let there be squirrels!" ((((hugs)))) The William will be fine now, though he might have to chase his tail a few times through your memories, so that he won't worry about your breaking heart. He knows it is difficult to be left behind, he knows......he will watch over you.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Liz » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:25 am

Aw, so sorry. What a wonderful tribute to a great dog. (((Hugs)))
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby monik7 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:18 pm

I'm so sorry Louise. Just reading your tribute to The William made me cry. It will be hard, but it's a task we have to undertake because we love them so much. I agree with Karen. In time, consider a rescue and William will be so happy to know you've saved a life and given a good home to another lost little soul. Hugs and prayers for you and William.
Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby havingfunnow » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:57 pm

It was a good death. The weather was lovely, the back yard made William happy, and he just dozed off while I was petting him without any fear or pain at all. I am feeling ok about it. Sad, but ok. I am a greedy woman. I know I was lucky to have him for so long, but I wanted even longer.

Thank you all so much for your kindness. This song has been going through my head for a week. It starts "Babies are born in the circle of the sun/circle of the sun on the birthing day" and goes through many verses. Ends like this:

And I hope to die in a circle of the sun
Circle of the sun on my dying day
And spread my ashes in a circle of the sun
Circle of the sun on my burying day.
Clouds to the east, clouds to the west
Wind and rain to the north and south
Spread my ashes in a circle of the sun
Circle of the sun on the dying day.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby Rufflesgurl » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Louise - Sorry for your William. While you are missing William, you made the right decision for him. He will always be in your memories.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby IrishIroamed » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:25 pm

So sorry to hear about your sweet William Louise and you have lovely memories of him. Yes, our furkids leave paw prints on our hearts and take a piece of our heart with them, but they take their piece of your heart with them, to leave you room for another furkid to make your heart whole again when the time is right.

Puppy kisses from Zorro & Punkin and (((hugs))) too.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Next

Return to Pets