Canine Lick Granuloma

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Canine Lick Granuloma

Postby Cudedog » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:20 pm

Anyone here had experience with lick granuloma?

I adopted a beautiful, high-energy, 3-year old Staff Bull in November. When he came to me he had a raw spot on his right front ankle, which I thought at the time might be a lick granuloma. Once he was here with me, I launched into my usual routine of mile walks morning and evening, and an intense play session at lunch time. The raw spot soon healed and vanished, and I thought nothing more about it.

A week or so ago I was down for nearly a week with the dreadful flu bug that has been going around here. I was extremely ill, and unable to do the walking, nor much of the play session, for several days. As I was recovering, the raw spot has reappeared in the same place as before on his leg, and even though I am now back to twice-daily walking and noon play session, the thing is progressively getting worse (I have seen him licking at it).

Add this to the fact that my sweet 15-year old dog is in the final stages of pancreatitis, requiring lots of care, I am barely sleeping and about ready to drop with exhaustion. I have not had time to do much about the granuloma.

Anyone know what to do about a lick granuloma? The research I have done on the web suggests that this can be an unpleasant, persistant, and fairly serious problem.

I honestly don't know if I can deal with this, too.

I have spent the last two years faithfully caring for my 3 geriatric dogs, who have died one by one despite my efforts. When My Girl passes over - which will likely be within the next few days - I will have lost all three of my beloved dogs - age 16, 14 1/2, and Girl, 15 (all three born into my hands) in the last two years.

Three dogs in two years. It is almost more than I can bear.

And to have this beautiful, new-to-me, young dog now with a serious health problem at such an early age. . . I probably won't, but I am thinking about returning him.

I just can't face the full-time care a still another sick dog requires.

If anyone on the forum has any suggestions regarding lick granuloma, please post them.

Thank you.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Re: Canine Lick Granuloma

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:44 pm

Sounds as if you were heading it the right direction with the exercise and play. In my experience some of the licking can be from boredom, some from an initial or reoccurring allergy..."and sometimes a tumor. I would consult with a veterinarian that you trust. I know that some of the vets are using laser treatments to help heal difficult areas, but I don't know enough to say if it is helpful in these situations.

(((Hugs)))) for the journey of shepherding multiple geriatric friends through those last so frail days. Knowing that they have made it through more years than the average does not make the heart grieve any less.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby grammynmaggie » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:46 pm

my Maggie had something like that...called hot spots...I think it was an emotional thing also with the licking because it was in the transitional stage becaus from Pennsylvania to Florida...I tried all kinds of expensive medication at the vet gave me and nothing worked I did give her one of the colors to wear when one of them was really bad...and I found something very inexpensive at PetSmart it is called ...Vets Best ...it is a spray I had to be careful and give it to her when I could be around her because she would wanted to lick it off but I have to tell you it really worked it would make it quit itching maybe and she would quit making it I don't know but it just worked I would get some if I was you I'm so sorry for I'm all the losses from your babies I don't know what I would do one little girl was enough for me I still cry over her everyday even though I got my new little Pheebe...prayers for you and your babies..
grammynmaggie

Postby havingfunnow » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:23 am

Oh, Anne, what a hard time this is/has been for you. One geriatric case at a time is the most I can handle. Knowing they have lived happy and longer-than-average lives doesn't make the grief any less. I am so sorry.

It sounds like the young dog's licking is emotional as much as physical. Decades ago, I had a high-strung dog who could really hurt himself with that when he had a bad patch. Nothing the vet suggested/prescribed helped. Eventually, in total frustration, I started treating it with the stuff I used on the horses' scratches. Worked like a charm! I've always suspected that it was just so nasty tasting that licking didn't appeal any more. I'll try to remember its name. If your vet can't help, the repulsion approach might be worth a try.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby BirdbyBird » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:06 pm

Bag Balm?
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby MandysMom » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:20 pm

I don't own dogs anymore, but have heard minor irritations which result in short term locking can in fact become habit which perpetuates itself. That happens with birds and cats too.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:33 pm

Moxie injured an elbow once and licked it raw. I can't remember what I put on it to get her to stop, but she just started licking the opposite one. It had become a habit. Drove me nuts. Extra exercise did help, but I'd wake up in the middle of the night and hear her licking. I tried so many things. Wish I could tell you what ended up working best, but have totally forgotten.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:55 pm

I used vet wrap (Coban) once on my dogs legs as she was licking like crazy....that stopped that and when I took it off finally she no longer licked, guess she forgot about it LOL

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:04 pm

I'm so sorry about the loss of your loved fur babies and now dealing with another. Regretfully I don't have any suggestions for the younger one problem.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:26 am

Please think really hard about returning him. If you got him at a shelter they will put him down immediately as there is some stigma to being returned AND he has a health issue. He may be missing your other dog and then with you being sick he just got bored. He may eventually need a friend to play with???? Pet stores also have a lick deterrent which is very bitter tasting to discourage licking.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby havingfunnow » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:56 pm

I think it was Gentian Violet, which stains the skin purple and has both antiseptic and antifungal properties. I remember a purple spray application. I don't remember who produced it then, but I see that several companies make it now. (You can get a version to use on people, too.)

The William would like to be a licker -- but he prefers licking my ankles, so there's an automatic limit there. :lol:
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby OutandAbout » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:25 pm

I sorry about the loss of your dogs and the illness of the third one.

I had a rescue Doberman that kept licking her paw. After trying everything the vet recommended, some OTC stuff and finally just bandaging the paw, which of course didn't work but left a trail to where I could find her, the licking seemed to stop on its own. I figured she became comfortable with us and that eliminated the reason she was licking the paw. Perhaps your rescue just needs some more time to adapt to the new surroundings.
OutandAbout

Return to Pets