Pet Dental

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Pet Dental

Postby MandysMom » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:41 pm

I may be taking out a new mortgage by the end of today. Our sweet little Mandy cat showed signs at her checkup of a couple of bad teeth. I was up (chasing the rabbit :lol: at o dark thirty) to get her there to vet on time. Turned out she at the relatively young age of 11, had SIX bad teeth including two canines!!! Poor baby. She has always eaten very high quality no grain food. Her sister, the same age, has always eaten raw meat and at her dental, there was one broken tooth removed, but otherwise her teeth were fairly clean and in good shape. Interesting, huh!? Poor little Mandy will be on antibiotics and pain meds for a few days. That should be interesting since we have never had to give her meds and she will NOT eat any type treats. So liquids it is and a towel straight jacket! (who gets the straight jacket, her during or me after is debatable)!!
Will pick our baby up at 4:30. I feel so awful for her. Vet says she should eat fine. I hope so because she is otherwise such a active healthy girl.
Sigh, this ones gonna be a big wallet hit! Estimate was nearly $600 before meds and extractions!! Anything for our baby. We just wish we had known sooner that she had a problem, err 6 problems !
Velda
MandysMom

Re: Pet Dental

Postby snowball » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:59 pm

that is too bad hopefully she recovers fast and will take her medicine like a good girl
take care
sheila
snowball

Postby avalen » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:46 pm

Ohhhh, not fun for either one of you. Hope she heals quickly
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:25 pm

Hope your cat feels better soon. I know what a fight it is to get them to take medicine sometimes.

My son(age 10 at the time) volunteered us to take the office cat where he went to tutoring when they closed the office. I don't know that cat had ever been to a vet and had the worst breath. When I took him to the vet his teeth were so bad they pulled them all. The vet said he would be ok, cats mostly swallow their food whole. He lived quite a few year with no teeth.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby MandysMom » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:00 am

We survived the day. Six teeth gone but she ate some of her canned food for supper. The 10 days of meds,is definitely gonna be harder on me than Mandy. She put up a pretty good battle even while just hours from anesthesia! Finally Mel wrapped her in a towel and we got it done. So much for " oh cats like this flavor antibiotic " ! Ha! Not really! Upward and onward. She is asleep by my shoulder in her usual spot. So I guess she forgave me for taking her to visit the Dr.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:02 am

good thing you got them out - bad teeth and gums can cause heart disease in our animals (and us). Yeah, giving cats medicine is always fun.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby MandysMom » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:14 pm

We had no clue she was having tooth problems until just a few weeks ago when just once she drooled funny, only once. Her eating had not changed. I made an appointment the next day. Because she has never eaten a carbohydrates based food and her sisters teeth were/ are all good, I figured hers were same. This came as a shock to us. She is snoozing under my blanket right now. Hope she feels better quickly.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby monik7 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:19 pm

Poor little Mandy. Hope she feels better soon.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby MandysMom » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:52 am

Thanks Sandi! She rested more than usual today and ate probably at least half her normal. The Neurontin for pain seems to be relaxing her more tonight. She was like a sack of potatoes on the back of my recliner when news was over, so I carried her back to the bedroom and she sprawled out on the floor and stretched then went to our bed and is asleep. Good to rest and heal. But her sister is being a pistol! Growls every time she sees Mandy and had to be scolded several times for swatting Mandy. We are trying to give Stormy extra attention because it does appear she is acting jealous. She even wanted some of Mandy's baby food meat on her plate too.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:44 am

Mandy probably picked up some new smells at the vet and her sister isn't sure it's her. Our cats have to get close enough to smell each other to be sure who it is. When one of us goes out and comes back in Frosty has to inspect us. The outside cats will rub on our legs and he has to smell our shoes and legs. The others aren't that interested.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby MandysMom » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:32 am

Martha, I wish it was that simple. Stormy keeps getting too close and personal. Tonight I had Mandy almost asleep in my lap and Stormy jumped up ( she almost never sits on my chair, never in my lap) and as soon as She got nose to nose with Mandy , Stormy began hissing and tried to swat her again. I managed to move quick enough to push her off onto the floor and gave her a piece of my mind. Now we are in bed, Mandy by my shoulder and I keep hearing Stormy prowling and moving closer to the bed. I shine a flashlight on the little darling and told her she better not try it and to go to bed where she belongs. She's acting like a jealous toddler. poor Mandy. I had to stop her pain meds tonight as she is getting neurological symptoms. I looked it up and cats can get that from Neurontin. And she is so traumatized by being held to get the antibiotics that I'm calling vet in the morning for a new plan. Wasted $50 worth of drugs!
Cats and husbands! Tonight took Mel to Urgent care for increased pain in his ribs from a mishap last Sunday. Fortunately X-ray shows no fracture. If its not one it's another !
Velda
MandysMom

Return to Pets