Rescue Dog

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Re: Rescue Dog

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Good idea Liz if your pet will eat it. I don't think mine would. She doesn't eat any people food and not big on treats so I just use a syringe in the side of her mouth. I still might try the yogurt tho, hey anything is worth a try once.

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby monik7 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:28 pm

I been using a syringe I had left from Krissi and it works well.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:53 pm

I also travel with small individual packets of powdered Pro Biotics. They help keep the "guts" healthy and balanced incase the digestive upsets are caused by bacteria that might have been "picked up" by accident.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby monik7 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:50 am

Now Abby has diarrhea! What's that about? I did give her the chicken and rice when I gave it to Bindi. Not sure it did any good, because yesterday morning Bindi's diarrhea was very runny and cream colored. The Kaopectate is about the same color as her diarrhea. Abby's last night was dark and completely liquid. Poor baby. Not sure now whether the Kaopectate worked or caused more problems.

Yesterday I had to leave at 10:30 am to go to a hearing for the guy who murdered my son. New law says he should be re-sentenced because he was under 18 when he murdered Joshua. The whole thing was continued until March 14 and a never-ending nightmare. Anyway, I left Bindi inside and not confined. I didn't return until almost 4:00 pm and no messes or damage. Yay Bindi!
Sandi

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Postby OregonLuvr » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:26 pm

Sandi I tried the chicken and rice and it just made it worse I don't know if my dog is just not tolerating chicken or rice LOL So I give the Kaopectate 3 times a day for several days...does the trick.

Tina tell me more about the probiotics. Do you give them all the time or just when issues and where do you get it?

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:42 pm

I got them originally when a litter of puppies I had all started having loose stools about the first time they got to visit outside and chew on sticks and grass and other interesting new things. :-) With puppies I am always worried that they can pick up "real" bugs and diseases that can take a puppy down very quickly. Vet ran some tests to rule out serious "stuff" and sent me home with the probiotics to help their immature systems deal with the "new" world. I think of it as when we take yogurt to re-establish a healthy environment in our gut. I give it when I am treating any of them for runny stools or they have to go on antibiotics for any reason. I get a box of the individual packets from my vet.....an use PRN.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby MandysMom » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:06 am

It would be interesting to compare the label on the packet pro biotics with the label on good quality probiotics usually kept in fridge at health food store. I'm thinking you could open a capsule and give. Just be sure to keep in fridge or those,good bacteria die, as they don't like heat.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby SoCalGalcas » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:00 am

Sandi, Bindi is darling! Have enjoyed reading of your "adventures" with her. Give her a big hug from Casey. Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:21 am

Velda, I was wondering the same thing about the probiotics. My son's vet took pity on him and told him the enzymes his dog needed so he could buy them at a drug store. A lot cheaper than if the vet would have ordered them. I know any medicine that comes from my vet is expensive.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby monik7 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:51 pm

I thought maybe I should do an update on Bindi. She's doing great! She's been here for 1 week and 1 day. No accidents inside the house, sleeps through the night without asking to go out, has learned to climb and descend carpeted stairs, has learned to walk on slippery hardwood floor, has learned to ascend slippery hardwood stairs, and has almost mastered descending slippery hardwood stairs. She's been left unconfined in the house while I was gone for up to 7 hours with no problems. Both Abby and Bindi have gotten over their diarrhea and I'm working on reintroducing regular food rather than chicken and rice. Bindi had a checkup with the vet on Wednesday and she did great. She does need to gain 2 lbs. I neglected to ask the vet how to achieve that so if anyone has ideas I would welcome them. She had a heart worm test and that was negative and I got her heart worm medicine. I think she really likes her new home and seems to recognize her new name. Yay Bindi!!!
Sandi

monik7

Postby Bethers » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:01 pm

Yippie, Bindi!! If she's eating good, I wouldn't worry to much about the two pounds, as they'll come on naturally, then you'll need to decrease her food a tad. If she's not eating as well, add in a few treats here and there.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:22 pm

all round good news!!! glad to hear that all is going so well
enjoy her ok?
sheila
snowball

Postby Liz » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:22 pm

Yay for you both!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby monik7 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:57 pm

I also forgot to add in my earlier post that she's learned to drink water out of a Dixie cup. You might be asking why?? When we go to bed, I always offer them water, served to them in a Dixie cup because there's no place for a water bowl that could spill on the carpet. They have me trained very well. :lol: And yes Beth, she gobbles up her food. Abby's so picky with hers, so what she doesn't eat goes to Bindi. Maybe she'll gain weight that way.
Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monik7

Postby chalet05 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:45 pm

Glad Bindi is doing so well! I've been thinking about you and the hearings. Sorry they have been continued. That just really stinks. Hugs!!
Anita
chalet05

PreviousNext

Return to Pets