Possible Surgery

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Possible Surgery

Postby Othersharon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:02 pm

Well, I just got back from the vet's office with Rascal and the news is about what I expected. He took a spill when rough housing a few weeks ago and has been favoring his right rear leg ever since. We tried meds but saw no big difference so now we are scheduled for X-rays and evaluation for possible ACL injury. Called something else in dogs but that's basically what it is. What I wanted to ask is if any of you dog owners might have had any experience with this surgery. How well has it worked etc. I have heard pro and con so I'm really confused at this point. When I say possible, that seems to be the direction my vet is leaning. The healing time is several months so that's a consideration too. Trying to keep this guy quiet and crated will seem like a real punishment for him since he hasn't been in a crate since he was housebroken. Anyway, would like to get some other opinions/ideas before I have to make any major decisions.
Othersharon

Re: Possible Surgery

Postby IrishIroamed » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:26 pm

My Molly had the ACL surgery (if that's the knee - I always forget) and I'd say she was walking on it immediately and back to her old self (i.e. chasing rabbits) within a week.

Might depend on exactly what type of surgery the vet would do. Molly's knee surgery was done where things were wired back in place. That leg actually became her strongest back leg.

Make sure whatever vet does the surgery has had success in the past. The vet that did Molly's was not my regular vet (he suggested 2 hip replacements and 2 knee replacements for $12,000 or "put her down"). Obviously I found a new vet after that.

The vet that did the surgery was recommended to me from a breeder / shower of Collies and the total surgery was about $2,000 (about 5-6 years ago).

Good luck!
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby gingerK » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Did the vet call it luxating patella? That's the kneecap slipping out of place. Common surgery in small breeds. ACL is different, I think. More serious with a longer recovery and yes, they need to be kept quiet. If it's the ACL, it's common for them to have the other one blow out after the first one is fixed, due to them putting strain on the opposite leg.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Othersharon » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:08 am

Thanks for the replies, Ladies. I will have to wait until the 26th for firm diagnosis but right now vet is leaning toward ACL. I've been working on keeping him quieter and seeing if that helps. One of the things I worry about is him blowing out the other knee if he has the surgery. Will continue to work with him and check out as much info as I can. Thanks again.
Othersharon

Postby Olive6001 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:26 pm

I'm so sorry to hear your news. You and your pup are in my prayers.
Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:07 pm

Wishing the best for both you and the pup
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Return to Pets