Changing dog food

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Re: Changing dog food

Postby Olive6001 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:27 am

MandysMom wrote:Nope, Costco is NOT nationwide. For instance Oklahoma has none and my sister I law complains about that. I can't get my iPad to do a better search but for sure none in Oklahoma. The state won't let them in, my sister in law says. If you have a laptop, go to Costco locations to see on a map where they are.
Velda

I'm not sure that "nationwide" means every single state. I assumed it means that there are stores across the nation. As I said, there are fewer stores in some states than others. Looks like that's especially true of Oklahoma. :lol: There's only one in New Mexico. (Did I already say that?) Thanks for bringing this up, Velda. I'll be sure to check every state before I plan a trip.

Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:29 am

Nikki, I feed my guys Pure Balance Grain free from Walmart. Its about $30. for the 24 pound. Switched to it for Sophie for her allergies. I use the salmon but they have chicken and lamb. You have to watch the quanities because if higher calories with no fillers.

Sounds like you're planning on fulltiming. Good for you. I WILL expect a visit.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Olive6001 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:23 pm

LOL Hello my friend! Not planning exactly just dreaming and typing and thinking and reading... Yes, I remember now that you mention it. That could be a good alternative, so I'll do the research. Maybe I've finally learned my lesson about research. Whaddya think?
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby Redetotry » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:17 am

More thoughts about feeding your pets and using storage containers at the links below. I have good luck feeding Fromn. You can switch between the different flavors without having to introduce the food slowly. The exception is don't give grain free if you have been giving the other type as it needs to be slowly introduced. If you have a large dog that is one of the breeds prone to bloat be sure to read the ingredient label to see that chicken fat is NOT among the first five ingredients. If you open a fresh bag of food and your dog rejects it for a day or two even though there is no recall, return it to the store, sometimes things happen after the food leaves the factory.

https://frommfamily.com/about/question- ... -cat-food/
How should I store my pet’s food?

We recommend storing dry food in its original bag inside an outer, sealed container in a cool, dry environment. We do not recommend pouring our food out of its original bag. Our bags are designed to keep our food fresh and to keep contaminants out of the food.

Plastic containers in particular may pose a threat of contamination. Over time, the fats in dry pet food will get into the pores of many types of plastic containers which then introduce foreign compounds into the food stored in that container. A good example of this would be when you store tomato sauce in a reusable plastic container. The sauce often dyes the sides of the container red and cannot be washed out.

Canned food should be sealed and stored in the refrigerator after opening. Our canned food should be not be stored for longer than five days after opening.

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritionnug ... esh-13975#
You’ve researched your dog’s nutritional needs, compared brands (perhaps using the MyBowl tool), and purchased the best option for your beloved pooch. Now the question arises: "What is the best way to store the food to keep it fresh and wholesome for as long as possible?"

First, let’s take a step back. All dog foods should have a "best by" or "best before" date printed somewhere on the bag or can. Whenever possible, purchase bags or cans with dates that are as far in the future as possible. When you do this, you are buying the freshest food on the shelf. Keep in mind that these dates are not infallible, however. Food doesn’t expire the day after its "best by" date, and if the packaging has been compromised the food may go bad much sooner.

Examine packaging before you make a purchase to be sure that bags are intact and cans aren’t bulging or leaking. When you get home, use some common sense. If you open a bag or can and the food looks or smells "off," or your dog is reluctant to eat it, stop feeding from that package immediately. Reputable pet food manufacturers will stand by their products and offer a money back guarantee.

Storing Dry Dog Food

How you handle food once you have it at home can make a big difference in how long it remains fresh and maintains its ideal nutritional profile. Exposure to air, light, hot temperatures and humidity speeds up the rate at which foods degrade. To limit these effects, keep dry foods in their original packaging. High-quality dog food bags have been designed to keep out the elements. Open the bag carefully so you can roll and hold the top closed with a clip or otherwise reseal the package in between uses.

Plastic, glass or metal bins can also help protect dog food from the elements and from insects, rodents and other vermin; but owners should still place the food inside its original bag rather than pouring the kibble directly into a container. Store the bag or container off of the floor in a cool and dry location. Bins on wheels simplify the storage and movement of large bags of food.

Ideally, dry food should be consumed within six weeks of opening the bag, so pick your bag sizes appropriately. Kibble (if dry) can be left out in bowls for a day or so, but make sure you don’t offer more than what should be consumed in 24 hours. Larger meals limit your ability to monitor a dog’s appetite and put pets at risk for overeating and obesity. Wash bowls used for dry food at least once a week in hot, soapy water. (note I wash my dogs bowls after every meal and give fresh water twice a day)
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby dpf » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:55 am

I'm not on the road but when I had two dogs I used food grade pickle pails to store their food. The bar/lounge in the town where I worked was throwing them away (they did a one heck of burger business) and I asked if I could have three of them. They aren't five gallon pails...I'd say more like 3 gallon and had reseal able lids and a handle. I could buy the 40 pound bags of kibble in the cooler months and divide it into the pails and keep them in the garage so it didn't become rancid.....40 pounds of kibble goes a long way with 1-2 Bostons! In the summer I would resort to buying smaller bags unless I had freezer room for the two extra pails. My vet suggested using Diamond brand lamb and rice. Bostons are notorious for being gassy and it seemed to eliminate most of the problem.

So check out some local eateries that use a lot of pickle chips for burgers and you just might come up with solution! I would guess a MacDonalds or Burger King would have to buy pickles in more than gallon jars.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby MandysMom » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:21 pm

Our local grocery that has an in house bakery has frosting buckets large and small and were happy to save some for us and called us when they had one and we picked them up. We did have to wash them and that was a sticky chore but l learned early if I carefully scraped the inside with a putty knife before washing, the chore went faster. Pickle buckets often smell even after washing But frosting has no smell to cling.
Velda
MandysMom

Previous

Return to Pets