hysterical dog...what would you do...

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

hysterical dog...what would you do...

Postby grammynmaggie » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:20 am

Starting at the beginning when family arrived...I warned them how she would act when she saw them....and they ignored her as did I...no one tried to extend hand or any other way to greet..we did let the dogs greet...she was going wild with barking and carrying on ...to the point of being hysterical (that is the way she reacts to everyone and thing)...the dogs went nose to nose and that was it...mostly they were ok...we went to the porch still ignoring only with me trying to calm her down..everytime some one dd or sil even move in their chair that would set her of...I finally had to put her in the rig ...so she would calm down..( my dd told me I would have no friends and no one would visit me because of her actions)... made me sad...it was like this all evening...same next day ...I had to cook diner so she was out in the rig ...trying to bring her in every once in a while...later on in the day my dd got some turkey and tried to give it to her...she put a some on the floor and she gobbled it up...next time she did take it out of her hand...then dd walked away and was standing in other room she came in and gave dd a quick lick/kiss on the leg...so she went and got more turkey...that was good as long as food was there..other wise she was still carrying on...everytime they move she got wild...toward evening my dd got up to go to the kitchen ...same thing happened only I guess Joey my dd dog had enough of her and he went after her...jut got in her face (no growing just barking in her face and she shut up and just looked at him...he walked a way and she walked away and acted normal...sniffing around...quite would be until one of them got up and then the same thing over again...until Joey got in her face...then she would shut up...next day we were sitting talking before they left and same thing...

she gets hysterical every time we pass someone while walking...it is not fun walking with her...they can be passing right beside us or 100 feet down the road and she goes wild...carolb and I thought my picking her up calms her ...some times it does a little but most often not...with me she is sweet, charming, cuddly , loveable ...and other verbs that describe a great fur baby ....I think I will have to get a muzzle for her..she could never go to the vet..or even for obedience training without one ..for those that are excited to meet her...I don't want you to be disappointed but it will be a trial...she is no Maggie that loved most everyone and showed them she did...I am anxious for Carolb and crew to come today...when she left things were pretty good with interaction with them...I am not going to take her back..even if I have to become a hermit...well that's our story so far...just so you know ...no one is trying to meet and greet her in any way...seeing how she acts who would...
grammynmaggie

Re: hysterical dog...what would you do...

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:09 am

Donna do watch how she acts around Carolb's pups. When I got Remi from the rescue group he was about 5-6 months old. He would sometimes panic but most of the time he would just freeze and he didn't know or trust enough to take food from my hand, so there went my usual primary reinforcer. I had trained many dogs but never one from a puppy mill of with these types of issues. When I talked to one of the ladies from the rescue group her comment was that they tried when ever possible to place the rescued pups in homes that had older well socialized/trained dogs. They said that one of the best tools in training was the ability of the younger dog to learn from another calm well adjusted dog, "how to be a dog." In Remi's case, I could watch him watching Herschel. If Herschel's behavior said the world was safe, slowly Remi began to trust the world a little more. Diva's social brother may have been her connection to the world and she lost him before he was finished protecting her from scary things.

There are experienced behaviorists that could evaluate Diva and maybe give you professional help and a plan. Each dog is a little different and someone observing her might pick up on trigger cues that make life harder for her. Some dogs are helped by being on medication initially. Good luck. Be of strong heart.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:36 am

Sounds like she's having to cope with a lot all at once and not too long after coming to live with you. Be patient with her. My little Bandit was labeled at the shelter as fearful/aggressive and they were just going to put him down. My friend Denita threw a hissy fit in the waiting room and they finally agreed she could take him. They brought him from the kill room to her with one of those catch poles. He did bite her a few times during his initial stage. Now, after quite a while, he is the most loving, sweet dog you could imagine. He gets along with all the other dogs and like people altho he's a little slow to warm up and he still doesn't like men much. Obviously your's was never socialized. Don't give up on him, just give him time. At least he's sweet with you. Have you ever met Sharon's Chewey? He's about one pound of pure terror with anyone except Sharon. Your little guy's life has been so much turmoil that he's confused and scared. Hang in there.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby snowball » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:16 pm

retiredhappy wrote:Sounds like she's having to cope with a lot all at once and not too long after coming to live with you. Be patient with her. My little Bandit was labeled at the shelter as fearful/aggressive and they were just going to put him down. My friend Denita threw a hissy fit in the waiting room and they finally agreed she could take him. They brought him from the kill room to her with one of those catch poles. He did bite her a few times during his initial stage. Now, after quite a while, he is the most loving, sweet dog you could imagine. He gets along with all the other dogs and like people altho he's a little slow to warm up and he still doesn't like men much. Obviously your's was never socialized. Don't give up on him, just give him time. At least he's sweet with you. Have you ever met Sharon's Chewey? He's about one pound of pure terror with anyone except Sharon. Your little guy's life has been so much turmoil that he's confused and scared. Hang in there.

when I read of Donna dog and her problems thought of Chewy :D and Chewy is I think lots calmer
it will happen Shadow is much better around men/boys now with the exception of my sil and gs still not happy with them
and a much calmer dog
it will come about don't give up
sheila
snowball

Postby grammynmaggie » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:25 pm

Thanks everyone for all your input and information.... I have an update Carolb and her crew are here and my furbaby seem to remember them and is doing very well interacting with the dogs and Carolb... I'm very happy about that she is calm around them... I'm going to get rid of everything in her past that I can think of including her name I'm not going to call her anything for a few days and then I'm going to introduce her to her new name Phoebe.... and to me she looks just like what a Phoebe should look like... a sweet name for what is basically a sweet doggie.... you all have been very helpful to me and I thank you from the bottom of my heart ....I don't feel so frustrated tonight....
grammynmaggie

Postby Liz » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:51 pm

grammynmaggie wrote:Thanks everyone for all your input and information.... I have an update Carolb and her crew are here and my furbaby seem to remember them and is doing very well interacting with the dogs and Carolb... I'm very happy about that she is calm around them... I'm going to get rid of everything in her past that I can think of including her name I'm not going to call her anything for a few days and then I'm going to introduce her to her new name Phoebe.... and to me she looks just like what a Phoebe should look like... a sweet name for what is basically a sweet doggie.... you all have been very helpful to me and I thank you from the bottom of my heart ....I don't feel so frustrated tonight....

Phoebe is a sweet name. Glad Carolb is there. Have a Merry Christmas!
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby TarheelBornGal » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:10 pm

Our Paisley (Boston Terrier) has some fear aggression with other dogs when she is on the leash, mostly. When she is in a free play area with a bunch of dogs, she does okay and can even be submissive, but on leash, she can get all fiesty and in their face. We have found that if my husband carries treats along and rewards her before and after every time we see another dog and she doesn't react, she does much better. She is very food-motivated, so that is a real help. If we walk her without treats, she goes ballistic on other dogs at times. So maybe try the treats to distract Diva and get her focused on YOU.

Best of luck!
Emily
Emily
Still RV dreamin'...
TarheelBornGal

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:27 pm

Maybe she needs another dog to help her feel braver in her world. :) As well traveled and socialized as Carolb's kids are she feels safe around them. So...????
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:11 am

I was thinkiing like Tina. Maybe another older, calm dog would help her feel safe. Two aren't much more trouble than one or in my case, six aren't any more trouble than four or five.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Colliemom » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:08 am

Donna, this is off the Tri County Collie Rescue FB site . It might help you get a little insight into some of the issues you are having with Phoebe. Not necessarily of a lost dog, but why they act as they do around humans or other dogs. My neighbors downstate where I used to live adopted a Sheltie that had been abused and the dog was very frightful of strangers but at the same very aggressive toward them as well. I was younger then and they warmed me not to stick my fingers through the fence or she might bite. Being the fence was ours along our property line and they connected theirs to ours, I used to go out and just sit and lean against the fence when the dog was out and talk to her. It took some time but after awhile, when she saw me coming, she would come over to the fence with tail wagging. Eventually I got to where she would let me pet her. But she still kept up that aggressive stance toward others. I was the only one who could go over to the neighbors house that she wouldn't attempt to bite, sometimes maybe just nip my heels while I was sitting at the table talking with neighbor but that was all. My neighbors own sister couldn't even go in without the dog raising cain. And she lived on the other side of us. So it takes a lot of patience and time to socialize and quiet a dog like that. Possible you little girl wasn't properly socialized or was abused and now is letting out her fears. Like some of the others have said, maybe a second one might help calm her too. Good luck.

http://www.missingpetpartnership.org/re ... cked-pets/
Sue and the Furry Crew
Colliemom

Postby gingerK » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:21 am

I can add nothing else except to second what Tina mentioned about the behaviorist.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:31 am

Wishing you the best of luck in calming the baby. As Karen and Tina noted, it is possible. Nicky is another example of a mostly successful transformation from severe defensive/aggressive to a loving companion.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Donna, You have received some good advice. I love the new name for your little pup. Patience, patience, patience and love, love, love. She will be fine after some time. Casey too was a fearful, timid dog when I first got her. lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Return to Pets