trying to figure out....

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

trying to figure out....

Postby grammynmaggie » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:42 pm

I'm trying to figure out my new little puppy...
What would make become month old puppy be so afraid of people....
grammynmaggie

Re: trying to figure out....

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 pm

grammynmaggie wrote:I'm trying to figure out my new little puppy...
What would make become month old puppy be so afraid of people....

First, I hope she's at least two months old. Second, someone probably hurt her.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby grammynmaggie » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:08 pm

Sorry AutoCheck always changes things she is 10 months old
grammynmaggie

Postby avalen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:12 pm

Is that a typo? Thought she was like a year old, but there are
so many possibilities that would make her fearful and it can take a long time
to heal sometimes. Hang in there,were on your cheer squad.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby gingerK » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:25 pm

The little dogs I've met tended to be on the shy/fearful side. With you working with her, I am sure you will get her over this.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:40 pm

I wrote a long reply, but lost my connection, so poof.

Short version, are you prepared to accept it if she never "loves" everyone? Small dogs are often expected to put up with things we'd never expect from big dogs. It's also why small dogs actually do more biting than large dogs.

That said, walk her every day. Stop and talk to people. Do NOT allow people to lean down towards her, attempt to pet her or pick her up or even talk to her. Have them totally ignore her. As time passes doing this she should start deciding maybe one of them might be ok. Everyone, including you, continue to ignore until she actually starts sniffing someone. Do not praise her or punish her during all this. But after she sniffs someone, let them come down to her level but still not attempt to touch her. They could speak gently to her at this point. saying they, but keep to one person. If she continues to stay near the person, have them put out a hand for her to come to and sniff. After that, chances are they'll be able to gently pet her.

One step at a time and don't force it.

Someone, somehow has traumatized her. She'll get better but probably never completely forget. Make her life with you a safe one.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Azusateach » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:58 am

To piggyback on what Beth said, there have been articles floating around (even on here, I think), that suggest tying a yellow ribbon on your leash to warn people that your dog isn't to be approached without permission. You might think about doing something like that until your pup becomes more okay with people.

Laura
Azusateach

Postby grammynmaggie » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:13 am

Do you think trying to rid her of the past should I change her name I've been thinking about it what do you think
grammynmaggie

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:17 am

Donna, I know that many folks might scoff at the idea but new lives and fresh starts sometimes call for new names....I am thinking of one of those Native American customs of changing one's name to reflect important mile stones in one's life. Do what you want, what makes sense to you given your current situation and don't worry what about the opinions of others.... :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:17 am

I agree about the name change. I got an abused cat once who came with the name Matty. I changed it to Rosie thinking that hearing her old name might keep her fearful due to unpleasant memories associated with that name. She did get better after awhile with time.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby elkriverrats » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:03 am

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm making this thread about me, but we have a dog somewhat similar in nature it seems...

Bethers is spot on! My rescue is now 8 - he was less than a year old when we got him. He was initially fine but then one day something snapped and he became fearful/aggressive towards strange people and dogs. He has never been this way around our immediate family and other dog. We were at our wits end and had a dog trainer do house visits. She said he exhibited many signs of abuse trauma from humans and other dogs - we were told when we picked him up on day one that he came from a farm where dogs are trained to fight and would have been used as bait. Disgusting.

We go through exactly what was outlined in the earlier post (ignoring, don't lean over him etc) when he meets new people. We keep him on a leash when new people come into the house and also tell people to keep their fingers tucked in when he sniffs them. For some reason he is afraid of fingers outstretched on a strange hand and will back away and become very anxious. It has been so much work and very difficult at times to outline the "rules" to others but he is the most intelligent, loving, loyal and obedient dog I have ever owned. I recently tried him on prozac (second time) and this time he has responded wonderfully. He is much quicker to warm up to people and remembers them when they come back now. He will never be like my fun loving lab but it has made a world of difference being around people - sadly,I don't think he will ever be good around dogs. I hate that he has to take meds daily but it is obvious he is less anxious/stressed. He also has a stuffed animal that he carries and sometimes uses as a pillow. Don't ask me why but it calms him noticeably to carry it. It is a double edged sword when we are walking in a campground, he attracts alot of attention carrying his "baby" haha.
The yellow ribbon idea is a new one to me. I love it! Going to get one for my next trip.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It is stressful for you and your pup. I wish you the best!
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Postby IrishIroamed » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:15 pm

Donna, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles with Diva. By all means, give a new name if you see fit. I don't know if you should continue to shut her out of your life by putting her in the RV, but to her it may be a reward to go there and get away from everyone and everything that makes her nervous.

You need to meet her problems head on. I would keep her leashed, especially around others. That way at the first sign of any fear, aggressions, etc., a small tug on the leash or something may snap her out of what is going on in her head.

You never can know the real history of pound puppies, but please don't give up on her. You need to enjoy your life, and the little one, what ever her name may turn out to be, can learn to enjoy it with you. Thankfully you can spend a lot of time with her (i.e. not working and only with her on a part-time basis). If you're going to be in one spot for a while, look for a dog behaviorist (not necessarily a trainer) who may be able to help. I am not a 100% fan of Cesar Millan, but he does have some good training ideas. Here is a link to some of his short videos on National Geographic, may give you some ideas how to work with her.
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/search?q=cesar+milan

Everyone who has owned any dog, from a breeder or shelter, has had some type of issues to work through and I'm sure we'll all have different ideas. Just listen and do what you think is best for you and the little one.
(((hugs)))
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:39 pm

Hopefully being around Carol's pack will help her. Carol has a way with dogs.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby WickedLady » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:14 pm

I wonder if one of those Thunder Shirts would help. Instead of putting her in the RV how about a crate that she could go to? That way she would still be able to see you and others but feel safe in her "cave".
WickedLady

Postby snowball » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:09 pm

You've been getting a lot of ideas and near as I can tell good ones!! really like Marda's idea of the kennel that way she is still
near perhaps will learn that people aren't awful.. I still put Shadow on a leash when new people are in the house and since I'm living
with a family right now that is lots of time...and when it's the kids and friends quite often goes into the bedroom so that he is away
from the quickness of the kids which seems to be an issue with him...one of many wouldn't you like to be able to read there minds and see
what caused them to be what they are??
good luck with your little one
sheila
snowball

Return to Pets