What do you do with your dog(s) when driving?

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

What do you do with your dog(s) when driving?

Postby TarheelBornGal » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:29 pm

I'm curious to know what those of you with dogs do when you're actually driving. I am thinking that crating is certainly the safest way to go, but crates take a lot of room in a small RV. Are there other alternatives you have come up with?

My husband and I have one dog, a 16-17 lb. Boston Terrier named Paisley. No RV yet but seriously considering a purchase next year. It will most likely be a B+ Phoenix Cruiser.

Thanks!
Emily
Still RV dreamin'...
TarheelBornGal

Re: What do you do with your dog(s) when driving?

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:05 pm

I use crates. The dogs also use crates at home when I am out so that is something they are used to. I know they are safe and when I am out sightseeing they are relaxed and usually sleeping.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Azusateach » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:06 pm

There are lots of crates that collapse when you don't need them -- both soft-sided and wire.

We crate the 2 smaller dogs, simply because they won't ride quietly and we don't want them running around. Jed, our 65# Lab, lays on the floor behind the 2 crates in the hallway by our bathroom. He has NO interest in being anywhere near the front of the rig. However, we carry a collapsible soft-sided crate if it should become necessary to crate him.

When we stop for the night we set the small crates outside, and the little dogs sleep wherever they want -- usually on our bed. :roll: But when we sit outside we like to crate them because they enjoy being out, and it keeps them calm. They get lots and lots of exercise when we're camping, so giving them a safe place -- which they like -- to rest is a win-win for us all.

We know of some friends who never crated their dogs when traveling (they have a Class A). Their motorhome died on the freeway once, and when they pulled over, one of the dogs, who had never willingly left the rig, got out and was hit & killed on the freeway. That convinced us that crating the little ones wasn't even a discussion we needed to have.
Azusateach

Postby snowball » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:20 am

I am in a 5th wheel..so not sure this will help you at all..
have a crate in the 5th wheel but rarely is it closed Shadow usually goes to bed in it then "joins" me during the night
when driving I have a belt that fastens to his collar and to the seat belt so he can't room around to much or escape in case of
accident...need to be better at using it though around town I forget to :roll:
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:53 am

I don't crate. I don't belt. There are pros and cons to everything. So my question to you is what do you do with your dog in the car? If you use a crate, you'll probably want to continue to do so. If not, no need to change that either.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:12 am

Following Beth's question is the one about whether or not you use a crate at home or when you travel to other's homes or to motel's? What things might your particular dog get into in an RV? Are they barkers if they can see out windows? Would they chew "stuff" if you went off sightseeing? My Golden used to have complete rig freedom but my smaller guys would find creative things to do if I left them longer than a trip to the shower house and back..... :shock: :roll: But then I am now traveling with four.....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Azusateach » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:57 am

Good points, all.

The 2 little dogs are used to being crated, so they look at them as their little hidey holes. :) Both of them would be underfoot -- literally -- when we're driving, or want to sit on laps. We just don't want the distraction when rolling down the road in that huge rig. Also, one of them is known for making fast escapes, so having her contained when we stop in busy places is really important.

What I heard in your original post was a concern about how much space crates take up. Again, just know that there are lots of options, several of them being crates that will collapse/fold down and store easily, even in a small rig.
Azusateach

Postby havingfunnow » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:38 am

The William rides loose in the van behind the driver/passenger seats. The only problem I have is that he's a real back seat driver! He prefers 35 mph and lots of stops for sightseeing. :lol:

In general, I think whatever you and the dog are comfortable doing on errands at home would translate well to travel.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Postby longdog2 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:43 pm

My 3 dachsies ride in the backseat of the truck although Willy takes the navigator seat whenever he can. They all sleep whenever I travel. In the 5th wheel, they sleep in their crates. Like Tina's furkids, they "might find creative things to do in the RV" if I had them loose while I was gone for several hours plus they tend to sleep when in the crate. Actually, Harley and Gretchen probably wouldn't get into trouble but Willy has the "devil made me do it" gene occasionally.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby gingerK » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:00 pm

My 100lb. Lab Buddy is a pretty good traveller but I recently fitted a crate into my MH for his safety in the event of an accident. In my car he rides in the back secured behind a grate and on a tethered leash. That way he can't leap out and get into trouble when I am opening the back hatch of the car to get him out (like at the vet's or to go on a hike, etc.). He has been crate trained from birth so for him, being in a crate is a natural comfortable option. I could put a crate in the car, too if need be as there is enough room.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Rufflesgurl » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:04 pm

Colleen - your grandkids are so grown up. Do you wonder where the years have gone? Grand daughter is so pretty and grandson so nice looking!

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby avalen » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:37 pm

I have a crate for Maggie, its left open in the back seat and she walks between the seats and gets in when she feels like it.
She feels secure in her crate and knows its her personal space. She also feels secure in the car and many times, she will sit in the car (I open the door and leave it open) and just watch all the goings on. I think mostly she's afraid of getting left behind. :lol: but those that know Maggie know she's pretty glued to me. She does travel very well in the car without getting underfoot. Most of the time, (not always) I leave a leash clipped on her so she's easy to grab as we get out at a rest stop or elsewhere. With all that said and what others have said, go with what your dog is accustomed to or how you want them to
see the "norm" for traveling. :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby gingerK » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:44 pm

TarheelBornGal wrote: I am thinking that crating is certainly the safest way to go, but crates take a lot of room in a small RV.

I have a 21 ft. class c. My dog has a large sized airline crate. I had to play around with the space to find what fit best. Originally I thought it would fit underneath the table but my table isn't removeable so I ended up putting the dinette table down and setting it on that. There are seatbelts in the dinette seats I can use to secure it. When we camp I will disassemble it and store it on the passenger's front seat. In a real pinch, I could always just set it outside when not in use.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby TarheelBornGal » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks for all the great comments, ladies!

Paisley is crate trained and has been since we brought her home as a puppy. Generally, when we travel, she rides in her crate in our car and we take the crate into the hotel rooms for her to sleep in. She is very comfortable in it and doesn't view it as punishment. But DH thinks it will take up too much room in the motorhome, since that will be our (tiny) house. However, it is a foldable metal crate, so that doesn't worry me too much. I feel sure we can make it work.

Paisley is not at all destructive, nor a barker, nor an escape artist. She's a perfect traveler and has been all over the US with us plus on several flights (we're in Mexico now). So I would only use the crate as a safety thing so she couldn't get flung around in an accident or get underfoot while we're trying to drive.

Emily
Emily
Still RV dreamin'...
TarheelBornGal

Return to Pets