Cat Adventures

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Re: Cat Adventures

Postby cmcdar » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:10 pm

HI all,

We will be hitting the road for the winter for the first time this year and the cats have no choice but to come along. We have two cats and a small dog. The dog has been camping with us all along but this will be a first for the cats.

They are indoor cats. In the good weather they have a screened n porch to sit on and seem very content. I have been working with them to get them use to having a halter on, being in the camper (when it was in our yard), and riding in the car (that doesn't result in a vet office visit). They are actually doing very well.

They will ride with us in the truck (crew cab). I have already set up two cat carriers for them in the truck and I have a sealed kitty pan container so they can go when we go. We will transport them from the truck to the camper in a soft sided cat carrier. We did put things in the camper that they sleep on or play with. They are both older 5+years so they mostly lump around anyways. I think we will be all right.

If anyone has other thoughts or ideas, they would be much appreciated.

Thank everyone for posting, it is giving me hope!

Caryl
Somewhere there is a beach with my name on it.

cmcdar

Postby Liz » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:30 pm

Sounds like a good plan.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:07 pm

Caryl, It sounds like you've got it worked out. Sandi was very worried about her cat making the transition to rving, and hers had done wonderfully - including walking on a leash. Let us know how it goes.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby cmcdar » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:31 am

Bethers wrote:Caryl, It sounds like you've got it worked out. Sandi was very worried about her cat making the transition to rving, and hers had done wonderfully - including walking on a leash. Let us know how it goes.

Ha Ha - My male cat went spastic the first time I put a harness on him. He looked like he was trying to jump out of his own skin. We could do nothing accept stay clear of him til he calmed down or there would have been a big price to pay. My female did much better with the harness as she quickly realized it meant going outside. NEITHER like the idea of a leash! Ha Ha The leashes I have are simply to help keep them in an area they are meant to be in or to make it easier to grab them should they make a break.

We do take them out in the truck for long drives so I hope by the time we head out they relax and sleep. Our first drive will be more than 10 hours to get to where we stored the camper to be picked up on our way south.

Fingers crossed!

Again, it is very encouraging to here of others who are traveling with cats - Thank you!!!!
Somewhere there is a beach with my name on it.

cmcdar

Postby MandysMom » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Our girls loved their big adventure in the RV in 08. I only with Mel's health were such that we could go again. Both our kitty girls loved seeing their new yard each day on their leash and jackets. New smells, new squirrels to drag us to see, always new fun.

Velda
MandysMom

Previous

Return to Pets