Screen Saver

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Screen Saver

Postby DogMom13 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:22 am

Hello All

We finally did it! We purchased our first Class C. It's a Thor 23U and we are really enjoying it. I will have to post in the "Show off your rig" section soon. But in the meantime I would like to know how some of you have solved a problem I am foreseeing. What do you use to keep the dog from scratching through the bottom part of the screen door. I was thinking a piece of plexiglass.... maybe pre-cut and pop it in?
Diane....
DogMom13

Re: Screen Saver

Postby gingerK » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:26 am

My motorhome came with a sheet of thin metal screwed onto the bottom half of the screen door. It's the kind you can get at a hardware store already cut to size and with perforations in it to let air flow through. I assume the previous owners did this because I know they had three small dogs. There is also a hook and eye type closer on the door so that it won't pop open if a dog or someone leans against it. So far it's worked with my Labs, no one's escaped!
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby avalen » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:38 am

I have a piece of that white garden lattice on the inside of mine. Does the job and looks ok.
I have known others to use plexiglass but when I went to price it,,,,,,, :shock: :o so,
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Azusateach » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:38 am

Door screens often offer lots of flow-through ventilation, so I'd be reluctant to put something up that doesn't provide that.

I'd measure your screen & see if you could get a metal guard. They're usually sort of meshy-looking, and will screw on to the frame of your screen. I've seen them advertised through Camping World, but any of the large home improvement stores sell them, too.

Something else you might try is simply placing a wood baby gate in front of your door. That would provide protection for your screen but also give visitors the message that you've got dogs before they try to open the door. We used one in our trailer and it was a great, subtle message to be careful when coming or going.

Laura
Azusateach

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:25 am

I used a portion of an X-pen divider cut down to fit, in the lower part of the door on the last rig I had. On this current rig we used two sections of white wire cut from the standard closet organization shelving. The wire grating is cut to size of the opening on the bottom half of the door and held in place by small clamps and scews. I suppose that a very determined dog could still push their way through but mine are all used to respecting their wire crates and X-pens that the barrier accomplishes everything I need it to do. :) I think there is a picture of the inside of the door in a post under "Show of Your Rigs." Mine new rig is a Thor Vegas.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby longdog2 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:03 am

I have a piece of plexiglass screwed to the bottom half of my screen door. I also have a piece of plexiglass for the top half of the door which is attached with Velcro. I take it off very easily when I want the breeze and put it on when I want a storm door. Works great to have the main door open when using heat or a/c when the temps aren't extreme.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby DogMom13 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:27 am

Thanks for the ideas. That closet shelving piece looks great and I also like the idea of using Velcro to have something removable. I will be throwing a baby gate in their too for a little extra protection and warning to visitors.
Diane....
DogMom13

Postby Bethers » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:30 pm

I used a baby gate for my first two dogs - although neither ever attempted to get out. Those dang doors open with the slightest pressure, though so didn't want to chance it. I've never put anything up with Peaches. She never tries. But I sometimes think I should do something again just "in case".
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Pets