German Shepards

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

German Shepards

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:46 am

My son and his girlfriend took in a dog they found in their yard that had been hit by a car a couple of years ago. He looks a lot like a German Shepard but you can tell he is something else too. I went with my son to bring him to the vet yesterday. We are on information overload. The vet said some German Shepards can't digest fat very well and gave us a list of enzymes and vitamins to give him. Has anyone ever heard of that? He is losing weight eating regular dog food and the vet wants to put him on one of the lite ones with less fat.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Re: German Shepards

Postby gingerK » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:19 am

Yes! My client's GSD cannot eat or digest fat; he lacks the enzymes to do so. He has been this way since he was a pup and she got him. She feeds him a raw diet and gives him enzymes we put into his food plus vitamin B12 (I think)and plant sterols. He used to take much more supplements but she has gradually weaned him off most of them. Axle is about 5 or 6 yrs. old now. I can't recall what the name of his disease is but I can get more info from his owner if you'd like.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Redetotry » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:21 am

Martha, According what I read in this article, depending on how old the dog is GS dogs need 22% protein and 8% fat until they are 6 months old. Adults 18% protein and 5% add 5% fat . It also gives a lot of other information about feeding. Did the vet mention EPI,(see below) if not you might try the suggestions they recommend in this article and see if he responds. Do you know what they have been feeding him? It could be that the food doesn't have whole meat protein as the main protein ingredient as suggested below, or it has BHT or another of the synthetic preservatives in it. If the vet is suggesting one of the expensive foods that they sell, don't feel pressured into buying it as many are filled with the ingredients below like the synthetic preservatives. IMHO vets and doctors are not taught good nutrition, they may know the numbers but they don't consider the additives. If you let me know what exactly the vet recommended and you want to buy a more natural food let me know.
Also I would talk to your vet again when you have read more and when you have found a food you think would fit his needs take the list of ingredients with you to show him.

Natural preservatives such as vitamin E or vitamin C may be preferable to synthetic food preservatives such as butylated hydroxyanisole, butylated hydroxytoluene and ethoxyquin. These synthetic preservatives are controversial and could cause health issues, according to the FDA.

http://www.petcarerx.com/article/health ... epherd/506

Read especially what it says about bloat as they are one of the breeds that are prone to it.

This is what it says about weight Loss

Some German shepherd dogs may be at risk of conditions that lead to the improper absorption of nutrients from their food. These conditions include exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) and small-intestine disease, both of which can cause weight loss, even as your dog shows an increased appetite, according to The Merck Veterinary Manual. If you notice that your German shepherd has lost weight but appears to be eating normally, consult with your veterinarian to see if a health condition such as EPI, small-intestine disease, or some other health issue could be the cause.

Part of the treatment for these conditions is a diet that is low in fiber and fat, and that contains a high-quality, unusual protein such as venison or lamb as the primary ingredient. EPI or small-intestine disease diets also contain highly digestible carbohydrates, such as rice or potato. Such diets should be overseen by your veterinarian, who will monitor the results and determine whether they are effective for your German shepherd dog.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby gingerK » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:47 am

Martha, I think that's what my client's dog has (the EPI). Her raw diet is either turkey or chicken with some vegetables mixed in (she buys it pre-made and it comes frozen in large tubes that look like liver sausage). I also forgot that she gets ground up cow pancreas (I think she gets this from a butcher shop) and we put a spoonful of that in Axel's food too. He can't have any treats so she never gives anyone any treats (she has 2 other dogs and they all eat the same diet).
gingerK

Postby avalen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:50 am

Yes, I lost a German shepherd to that condition many years ago.
The vet tried steroids but that did not work, poor dog litterly starved
to death, I had to have him euthanized. It was horrible!
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:37 pm

Since this dog was a rescue we don't know his background or age. From his condition when found and fears I'm pretty sure he was living on the street. The vet gave my son a list of enzymes and vitamin B and told him to look at a health food store. She just said to get a food that said lite and said she likes the one Iams makes. We have a large drug/health food store in Lafayette so he can find these things at a lower price. The other health food stores would be expensive. The vet said she could order them for him but he could find them cheaper. I think EPI was what she was talking about.

I will tell my son to look up this condition on the computer so he will know more about it.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby WickedLady » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:57 pm

Geez, I thought we got rid of ethoxyquin back in the 90s. That is very nasty stuff.
WickedLady

Postby Redetotry » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:39 pm

WickedLady wrote:Geez, I thought we got rid of ethoxyquin back in the 90s. That is very nasty stuff.

Unfortunately Marta it is still around. Some dog food manufactures have it added to some of their ingredients before they buy it so they don't have to put in on their list. It is also in human food, especially spices like chile powers.. I always buy spices at the Coop where it is organic and in containers where I can buy in small quantities so it stays good and fresh. Actually a letter to the editor about ethoxyquin in horse food back in the 90's that brought me to awareness about what is in food. The letter told how he was giving his horse food with this preservative in it and how the horses skin had reacted. My dogs were doing pretty much the same thing and I looked at the ingredients in their food and sure enough, it had it right on the label. The food was Iams and I called the company about it and they swore it didn't, the next time I looked at their food at the store, sure enough it wasn't on the label. I started feeding Inova (that was before they sold out) and my vet bills dropped considerably. So got me thinking I had also better change my way of eating!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby JudyJB » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:42 pm

Hmmmm. After I had pancreatitis a few years ago, I had to be on a very low fat diet and take an enzyme called Pancreas. Wonder if that is the same thing they give dogs?
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby gingerK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:31 am

Nope that stuff's still in dog food especially if it has any fish ingredients.
gingerK

Postby WickedLady » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:55 pm

Montesano developed ethoxyquin as a rubber additive and then sold it to pet foods to extend shelf-life. The workers handling that stuff had to wear all kinds of protective gear. It is known to cause still-births, fertility problems, failing health and death in animals.
Montesano has a hand in our food as well....
WickedLady

Return to Pets