Rainbow Bridge

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Re: Rainbow Bridge

Postby judi » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:29 am

I cry every time I read a post like this. It is so difficult to let go of our beloved animals! So sorry you have to go through this. Condolences.
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Postby grammynmaggie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:08 pm

so sorry for your loss
grammynmaggie

Re: Rainbow Bridge/update

Postby dpf » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:31 am

Thank you for the condolences everyone. It's been a rough week. Pretty quiet around here and I have realized just how well Radar had me trained. I get out of bed and head to the patio door to let her out. I've found myself checking the her dish before I walk out the door for work. I come in the house after work and there isn't anyone scolding me and heading to the door to go out. Radar was never a cuddler but in bed she always had to be touching me...whether it was a front paw on my foot or both back paws on my stomach while she stretched across and bed and almost pushed DH off his side! We always said that she owned this place and let us stay as long as we keep her dish full and paid all the bills.

I have a big decision to make. Last Thursday our camping friend's Boston had her first litter... 6 puppies 4 males and 2 females. When Bobbi saw my post about Radar on Facebook she called and told me that they would hold one for me and I could have second pick of the litter after the stud's owner. I'm torn. DH and I had more or less decided that we wouldn't get another unless we could find a Boston rescue. I'm not sure if I'm ready to go through the puppy stage again and puppy stage with Boston's can be forever! I think Radar was close to five years old before she gave up most of her quirky puppy antics and she still had relapses after that! Our other two Boston Terrorist were about the same..but those crazy episodes have provided lots of laughs and memories. I know that these puppies are going to be healthy and are home raised not from a puppy mill. They will be well socialized because Sinclair's have four children ranging from 8-18 and the kids are helping with the supplement feedings because Abby is having trouble producing enough milk for the whole crew. By the time they are ready to go they will be absolutely spoiled rotten! I just wish this opportunity was after I retire in 6-7 months so I would be here to house train. The problem with that is that they aren't sure if they are going to breed Abby again. If they do it will be close to another two years because Bobbi wants her to have a chance to fully recuperate after this pregnancy. I respect her for that and for the fact that they didn't breed her until she was two years old.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby Cudedog » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:25 pm

My sincere condolences on your loss.

That is really a tough call, deciding whether or not to get another so soon after the loved one has gone.

I used to breed and show Staffordshire Bull Terriers for many years. Before that, I had an American Pit Bull Terrier for 11 years. She was the love of my life, we had many amazing adventures together, and I shall never forget her. Even writing of her now brings me to tears, and she has been gone from me now for more than 25 years.

The two Staffords I have now are from my last litter (there will never be another litter for me) and both will be 15 years young this December. My boy is failing (as I have mentioned in other posts) but my Girl is still doing well. Amazing for a dog of her age.

I thought for a long time that after these loves have gone, I would just be too old to get another dog. One worry being that a young dog might outlive me.

But then I realized, what would be the point of going on living if there isn't a dog in my life? I don't think I could bear it. So now I am thinking that a retired show dog might be the ticket, one well socialized and comfortable with traveling. People in the breed still remember me, so this might be a possibility.

No puppies, ever, for sure.

And then, one day I was at PetsMart on one of their adoption days and there was the most beautiful, happy, outgoing, squirmy, 16-week old APBT puppy there that I have ever seen. A lovely deep dark red color, my favorite. Were it not for my old guys at home, I know I would have taken this pup in a heartbeat. It was especially hard when, a few days later, I was at my Vet and saw the same puppy, who was there for a checkup. It was extremely difficult to just walk away.

So.

I guess this is my usual long-winded way to wish you the very best on whatever you decide. Whatever it is, it will be right for you.

Best wishes,

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby IrishIroamed » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:18 pm

Pat, I think we've all had the same feelings with the loss of a pet, as Anne has mentioned. You'll know when it's right when it's one of the pups or when retirement finally comes.

My plan is to wait for retirement before getting another, so I can sell the house without worries about when to go with a dog (are they allowed, is there a weight limit, etc), but you know what they say about plans...

Maybe this will help clarify your thoughts. 5 questions about to answer about getting another pet. http://dogs.about.com/od/copingwithloss/f/How-Long-After-The-Death-Of-My-Dog-Should-I-Wait-To-Get-A-New-Dog.htm

Your heart will want what your heart wants. Sometimes the best way to honor a lost friend is knowing that another little soul needs you too.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Redetotry » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:10 pm

I know what you mean about the puppy stage, I didn't know if DH I I would make it through Mitzi's first couple of weeks with us, but that was mostly because of Toby not accepting her. Of course now, she is the boss of him and the entire house! I love the puppy stage though with all the silly things they do. I have a round pen that I put in our family room over an 70" round tablecloth, the oilcloth type, and put their pen, piddle pads and food inside so when one of us needs a break, the puppy is safe and in their space.
It sounds as though this is a great opportunity to get a puppy from someone you know and can see how well it has been socialized. I know there are those who have to wait a long time before getting another dog after loosing one but I just can't stand the empty feeling, I find another as soon as possible.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:32 pm

With grandkid/s in the picture you are right to think about the early socialization and training of a puppy. With a rescue you can sometimes find it and sometimes it is uphill training battle.

You will think on it and do what you need to do. My thoughs on adopting a new dog (or keeping a puppy from a litter) is the nearly the same as having a baby.....it is all a leap of faith. And those first days and even weeks sometimes I have wondered at my sanity...but then life finds a new balance and it seems right once again. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby monik7 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:57 pm

I remember when my wonderful little Bonnie (part miniature poodle, part terrier, and who knows what else) died. After a lifetime with and losing so many pets, I told myself I couldn't go through it again. But 3 months later I found I couldn't live without a special friend and my beautiful cockapoo, Krissi, entered my life. It's been an amazing 16 years and we're going strong. It was the best decision for me. It's a decision we all have to make for ourselves, so take your time and whatever you decide will be the best for you. And even if you decide Radar will be your last, who knows, some beautiful little fury friend who needs a forever home may steal your heart.

"Without the animals, men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit."
Chief Seattle

Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:19 am

My heart goes out to you. Its sooooo very hard to lose our loved ones. He's running free now.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Azusateach » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:24 am

Pat, I can only echo what others said about the decision to bring a puppy in. But I'll share my experience about getting Jed ...

I lost Brandy suddenly. She got sick, and 4 days later I had to put her down. Probably had metastasized cancer. I knew that I wanted another Lab, and that it would probably take quite a while until I found one that I liked. A week after Brandy's death, I began to look (again, thinking it'd take several months), and 10 days after her death I came home with Jed.

I'd never wanted to get a puppy -- too much work for a working woman. But it was the right decision, and while he turned my world and house upside down for a good year, I never regretted it. I just lived with blue tarps all over my rug -- until I replaced it with wood flooring!

Listen to your heart, and don't overthink it. As Tina said, it IS a leap of faith ...

We'll all be waiting to hear what you've decided. ;)
Azusateach

Previous

Return to Pets