Does your dog read your mind?

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Re: Does your dog read your mind?

Postby snowball » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:44 pm

I can be up doing stuff with Shadow in another room go to sit down and there he is
how he knows I'm going to sit down I don't know but ....he seems to
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:56 pm

That cat KNEW when I'd come home, any time of day or night, no matter how I came, by car, mine or friends or walking. My mother would have no clue when to expect me, then my cat would go sit at the door and she'd know I'd be home within 15 minutes, every time. And the condo was on the 5th floor. My mom knew I was in the building when my cat would start pacing. That I believe she could possibly sense, by sound or smell etc, but not before.

I realize animals can hear and sense lots of things, but this was truly eerie. Until the few months staying with my Mom, I always figured she heard me and met the door, but it kind of freaked my Mom out until she came to terms with it.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Redetotry » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:52 am

I don't believe many of these types of behavior can be explained. Dogs do have amazing hearing and they do learn our daily patterns and habits but...the first time I left Charley and went to California for vacation he slept by the door for the first few nights. He finally went in to sleep with DH and the other dogs but the day I was coming home, he went to the door and stayed there until I came home that evening. I've also had dogs that knew when I was coming home regardless of time or what type of vehicle.

Also regarding the way Toby barks when I am going to start my car, he barks from the other room before my hand touches my key so it can't be that he is hearing something.

I love the program that was on PBS about the Border Collie? that could retrieve over 150 of his toys by name. While that was strictly something that was learned I think it opened a lot of new research into the mind of dogs.

I and many others sometimes have a strong sense of things that are going to happen, so for me it is easy to believe dogs can do the same, only with them it is more normal than occasional.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Redetotry » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:55 am

Last night on 60 Minutes they did a story about the Border Collie I mentioned in my last post. It can retrieve over 1500 toys not 150! They also mentioned how until recently little research had been conducted on dogs intelligence but that now they are doing a lot more and showed some of the ways. Very interesting segment. Did anyone else see the program?
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Acadianmom » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:45 am

BJ, I have seen the show about the Border Collie you are talking about. Our border collies have been trained to work cattle and they are not interested in toys at all. I tried to get them to play with a ball and that is not on their radar at all.

We were at the Houston livestock show one time and that arena is huge. I had trouble picking my DH out of all the cowboys that were dressed alike. His horse was tied in the arena and he started cutting up and whinnying. I looked the way he was looking and my DH had just come in the arena but was a long way away. I don't know how that horse could pick him out of the crowd. I told my DH that maybe he could smell him. lol

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby SoCalGalcas » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Ravens have also been tested on finding ofod stuffs that have been hidden. They remember almost every one...in testing between college kids and Ravens, the Ravens beat the college kids every time! Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Previous

Return to Pets