Advice for my daughter

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Advice for my daughter

Postby chalet05 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:22 am

My daughter has a 7 yo Jack Russell terrier with stones in his bladder and urethra. $500 last night for medicine so more stones don't form. $2000-3200 for surgery to remove stones and they could come back. She's torn because that's a hefty sum knowing they could come back. Even when we had a dog, I never had to make that kind of decision. I think the hard part for me is that they could come back. They also had a boxer they put a lot of money into for surgery and he passed due to cancer anyway so she's leary.

I'd appreciate thoughts. She posted this on FB asking for advice - naturally comments were mixed. Of her 3 dogs, this one is my favorite.
Anita
chalet05

Re: Advice for my daughter

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:44 am

Had a cat once who had continual stones UNTIL I changed his diet. Between the change in diet and medicine to keep him from forming stones, he went the rest of his life without getting any more. I would check around and do some comparison on surgery rates. Seems pretty high to me.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Redetotry » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:20 am

This is a fairly detailed article from Whole Dog Journal. I did quite a bit of research for Andy my little Havanese and saved this article. You don't have to feed the expensive food the vet recommend, you just need to find a food that has the appropriate amounts of certain things. I can't remember exactly what that is but this the ratio of I think potassium to ? I can find out if they want more information. Also I highly recommend a product called D-Mannose that is available online and is now included in some dog food.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues ... 215-1.html

The link for D-Mannose (this is also very helpful for people with reoccurring bladder issues.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPZFNBQ/ref ... 1HHRAYT7YG
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Bethers » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:21 am

Like Karen said, diet can be key. Personally, I'd have to do it. But I'd also check with other vets and definitely research the right diet.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm

She might also see if there is a veterinary college where the surgery could be done. Wonder if humane society could recommend a lower cost vet also.

When I was first married we got a schnauzer puppy who turned out to have a blockage to her stomach which caused a large pouch to form in her esophagus. It was very upsetting, but we ended up putting her down as surgery would have been very difficult and not a full solution. It took a year before we could approach the idea of getting another puppy.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:36 pm

Years ago the LSU vet school was an inexpensive place to take an animal but not any more. I don't know if all of them are that expensive.

I have never had a pet with kidney stones so no help there. I just spent $400 on a cat and got no answers from all the tests and just a round of antibiotics. If I hadn't started forcing him to take water on New Years day I don't think he would have made it. He's doing good now but spoiled rotten. He thinks he should have canned food instead of eating the dry food like everyone else.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby gingerK » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Never had a dog with kidney stones so I can't say if that's too expensive for the surgery, and only your daughter can make the decision to either treat him or not. I have, however, spent tons of $$$$ on two of my Labs for surgeries and chemo for cancer and never regretted my decision to do so. There were no guarantees with treatment that the cancer wouldn't come back and in one case it eventually did. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Would the vet take payments?
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby chalet05 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. She is calling another vet. Too bad she isn't in Kansas where my cousin's 17 yo daughter is apprenticing with the local vet in a small farm town!! When you have big medical bills for a child already, it does add to the mix
Anita
chalet05

Postby Bethers » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:51 pm

chalet05 wrote:Thanks for the replies. She is calling another vet. Too bad she isn't in Kansas where my cousin's 17 yo daughter is apprenticing with the local vet in a small farm town!! When you have big medical bills for a child already, it does add to the mix

I really feel for her - it's a very, very hard decision and only they can make it. I hope another vet at least talks to her and gives her options/hope or makes suggestions as to what is best to help her decide.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby gingerK » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:53 pm

Has she checked into CareCredit?
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby chalet05 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:08 pm

Just got the word - surgery will be happening, but not at original vet. I think her former co-worker who is 'in the know' came through for her.
Anita
chalet05

Postby WickedLady » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:28 pm

I once had a cat with bladder stones (apparently this is fairly common in neutered males). Had pills to give him for a while and with a change in diet he lived to be 18 and never had them again.
WickedLady

Return to Pets