my little Pixie had a seizure

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

my little Pixie had a seizure

Postby avalen » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:27 pm

my poor little Pixie, about a half hour after I said goodbye to my sister, Pixie goes
upstairs on her pee pad and next thing I know she's flopping around like a fish in
the bottom of the boat, she got the pad all wrapped up around her and she threw
up during the seizure. It lasted a good couple minutes and then she layed there
afterwards trying to get her senses back for about 20 minutes. I comforted her for
awhile and then she came downstairs. She was walking fine but then she threw up
again in the kitchen, just slimy stuff. She's been outside since then and seems fine,
just a tad depressed. My poor little girl, if I didn't know better I'd say it was a grand
mal seizure. I'll be keeping her under close observation, sure hope she doesn't have
another one, I can't afford a vet visit until Thursday. I looked up all the dog seizure
stuff I could on the internet and most of the time its really not difinitive but if she
isn't really her normal self tomorrow I'll have to call the vet and ask for bloodwork.
Then my poor little girl is gonna get stuck with a needle, this does not make me
happy. I just hate when our little babies get sick.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Re: my little Pixie had a seizure

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:39 pm

Oh Ava I know exactly how you feel. That was a pretty long seizure and recovery time. Are you absolutely sure she hasn't ingested something? Check her stools and maybe feed her chicken and rice for a day or so. My Buddy has seizures - about (so far) one a year but they only last about 30 seconds and his recovery is almost immediate. He has never thrown up because of one. You don't have mouse bait or anything like that around? Maybe call your vet and tell him you don't have the money for a few days and does he think it can wait. Please keep us posted.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:19 pm

I'm not a vet, but that does sound more like she ingested something and that might have caused it. If it was a normal seizure - God forbid, is there such a thing? the recovery would have usually been different from that - where after the seizure, she would have been very disoriented - might have been walking into walls, etc for a long time after, etc. Unfortunately, I've had lots of experiences with that kind of seizure.

Do you think she might have gotten into something? Yes, watch her carefully - and see - and oh, I'm so sorry - it's so hard when our furbabies have any problesm.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Getupngo » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Oh Ava, that sounds just frightening. My dog's seizures were more like what Beth described. I'm so sorry your little Pixie is sick. If money is the issue, I'm sure your vet would work with you until Thursday. I hope your fur-baby feels better soon.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby avalen » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:50 pm

she's doing fine now, even tried to play and romp with Gracie but I wouldn't let her,
but I kid you not, she really was flopping around like a fish, I've never seen a seizure
like that one. She hasn't eaten anything other than the usual stuff that she always
eats, but I did spray some Febreeze on the valances today, earlier, thats the only
difference in our routine, but I have done that lightly before. I'm still keeping an
eye on her and now she's got herself snuggled up under the blanket upstairs cause
she seemed a little cold, her body actually felt cold and it by no means was cold today.
It actually got up to 78 degrees and it was quite comfortable inside. I just love that
little girl so much, she's always so happy and innocent she really worked her way into
my heart when I brought her home.
avalen

Postby Echo » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Ava my heart goes out to you and Pixie!!! I do so hope that it might have just been something she might have gotten a hold of. I will send up a little prayer for you and your fur babies.

I don't have any experience with animals having seizures so there's no advice that I can give.
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Postby WickedLady » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:55 pm

Ava, it does sound like something she ate or inhaled. The vomiting is unusual. Sure hope it all turns out OK.
Marda
WickedLady

Postby Barbzeee » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:00 am

Ava, I don't spray Febreeze..I've had friends who's dogs had similar reactions...even though they say it's safe...it doesn't sound like the normal seizure...again not being there...but just keep close tabs...and yep, prayers for sure as I know how this little gal has gotten to your heart...
Keep us all posted...

God Bless

Zeee
Barbzeee and Crew

Just go with the flow !

http://barbzeee.blogspot.com/

Barbzeee

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:26 am

I hope little Pixie is better. Poor thing, that is terrible. My friends Spoo (standard poodle) had seizures & they were fairly frequent til the vet found the right dosage of meds. Give Pixie a hug from us.
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Marslet » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:19 am

Ava.
I don't know if I read it or heard it, but Frebreez rings a bell in my memory about not using it around a dog. Sorry, but you know when you get old your memory goes on vacation at times and leaves you behind. :lol:

Marslet

Marslet

Postby Nasoosie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:39 am

Ava...hug little Pixie and keep her close. I sure do hope she had a reaction to that Febreeze, perhaps, and that she will be fine again now. But ask your vet, as others have said, if you could owe the money when you next will have it. Seizures have always been so scary for me, as I mentioned before on here. They are such abnormal behaviors when the brain short circuits.

Keep your eye on Pixie, and keep us posted.
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby Paulette » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:06 am

And maybe check with your sister to make sure she didn't "slip her a treat" of something...like chocolate! My little dog had seizures for a while and I found out that my dad was giving him chocolate. He meant well.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:29 pm

wow,... I sure hope Pixie is ok,... please let us know how she does.
Cedar518

Postby Nasoosie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:54 pm

I was thinking about Pixie as I was snowshoeing, and wondered----did your sister smoke in your place while she was there? You were using Febreze for some reason, and I got to wondering if it was to cover up smoke smell? But, that's not my point, as I don't believe Febreze is the culprit unless sprayed right on her---BUT.....do you suppose Pixie could have eaten a dropped or thrown away ciggie butt, if there were some around? Nicotine could surely cause a seizure in a little dog, I would think.

Have been thinking about all possibilites all day. Am hoping Pixie is all over whatever it was now.

Molly sends her healing powers!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby avalen » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:02 pm

no cigarettes and no treats and I don't feel the Febreeze did it either as it was earlier
that I sprayed it and only on the valances. I did call the vet, and she said since Pixie
seems absolutely normal today it can probably wait til payday, unless she has another
one she wants me to bring her in for immediate bloodwork. She is romping and playing
with Gracie today and eating as normal. Her poo and pee are also normal. oh, also if
anything else seems out of normal for her to bring her in. I'll keep you all posted.
avalen

Next

Return to Pets