Postby grammynmaggie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:30 pm

I stop at PetSmart today to get Maggie a treat for her stocking
the employee I was talking to told me done in about 3 months
they will be selling no food stuff in their stores made in china
thought that sounded like some good news to pass on
grammynmaggie

Re: Petsmart..FYI

Postby WickedLady » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Good for them! I hope many others follow their lead.
WickedLady

Postby MandysMom » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Now we need to pay attention to whether the food/ treats are actually ingredients not sourced in China. That happened with something a few years ago where something was made in Canada but part of ingredients were sourced in China. Labels can be so tricky to decipher much less info is sometimes left off. I am so glad they are paying attention though. Good for them. I will still buy Mandy's food at my local small pet store but it's nice to know if we travel I might be able to find her food more easily. Ran into that in 08 when we traveled. Silly me thought I had brought plenty but Mel left a bay door open one night and we came out and of course that was the bay with a bag of food and it was torn open and most gone. Towards the end of the trip I had a hard time finding a safe food for her as I use only grain free dry.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby gingerK » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:08 pm

Velda you have it right; recently I heard about Blue Buffalo admitting that some of its ingredients from suppliers were not what they claimed on the package.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby bluepinecones » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:37 pm

I would like to see ALL food stuff from China banned in US, including people food. Unfortunately we are doing just the opposite so it is good to know that at least some retailers will not stock the products.

In case you don't know, USDA has recently approved the import of chicken for human consumption from China.

http://thehill.com/regulation/223248-feds-to-allow-chinese-chicken-imports

To make matters worse, the Chinese chicken will not carry a Country of Origin label because it is cooked (raw must be labeled)

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/02/processed-chicken-china-slips-past-new-country-origin-labels/
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Redetotry » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:03 pm

bluepinecones wrote:I would like to see ALL food stuff from China banned in US, including people food. Unfortunately we are doing just the opposite so it is good to know that at least some retailers will not stock the products.

In case you don't know, USDA has recently approved the import of chicken for human consumption from China.

http://thehill.com/regulation/223248-feds-to-allow-chinese-chicken-imports

To make matters worse, the Chinese chicken will not carry a Country of Origin label because it is cooked (raw must be labeled)

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/02/processed-chicken-china-slips-past-new-country-origin-labels/

I'm with you Sarah!! I would never buy already cooked chicken, and what I do buy comes from the Coop and it states where it is raised. Also lucky to have available locally raised chickens, beef, bison and pork that is processed at a local place that is USDA approve. It is hard to know what is in our food. The packages that say "distributed by" are the ones that annoy me, it could be made anywhere! Same with saying made in the USA, unless it says will all USA ingredients it could come from who knows.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Gentleladybear » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:31 am

I don't understand importing chicken from China, we export tons of chicken out of New Orleans to Russia and other places. Go figure.
Nan
Gentleladybear

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:22 pm

They are probably trying to open the China market for beef by allowing imported chicken. After all the pets that died from treats from China I sure don't want to eat any imported chicken. I refuse to buy the frozen crawfish tails from China. They are more like rubber than seafood.

I'm not buying anything that says distributed by either. It has to say made in the USA but you never really know. I use to work for a fish plant that sold fish meal to the pet food companies. They were really picky about what they bought and if there was something they didn't like they would refuse a whole truck load.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby linann » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:32 pm

I don't want any food items from outside of the U.S. Many of the countries are using fertilizers and other chemicals that cannot be used here.
Linann
Live boldly one day at a time
linann

Postby Bethers » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:14 am

linann wrote:I don't want any food items from outside of the U.S. Many of the countries are using fertilizers and other chemicals that cannot be used here.

Other than China, I'd rather purchase food from many other countries. Many of them have banned many of the pesticides and chemicals allowed here.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Keeps getting worse….. the food was imported from China but you have to wonder who in the US is responsible for running this distribution warehouse
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/12/29/chinese-food-distributor-cited-rodents-birds/
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Return to Pets