letting your pet have scrapes

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

letting your pet have scrapes

Postby snowball » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:25 pm

I've never given Shadow anything off my plate but tonight find myself
temped the bone from my pork steak ..what say you all?
sheila
snowball

Re: letting your pet have scrapes

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:40 pm

Sheila...

Spinner gets a little bit of table scraps and an occasional pork/beef bone, but normally not....never a chicken bone....I always watch when he does get a bone just in case of choking issues...My biggest peeve with bones is they usually end up in my bed or couch cause he feels he needs to "hide it" for later.... :roll: :roll: But I believe it's mainly what you are comfortable with when it comes to bones...my Dad always gave his Bassets raw bones from the butcher's....raw bones don't splinter as easy as cooked bones....

Anyways, just my 2 cents....
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby MandysMom » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:16 am

Double checked what my father taught me and it's still true. Never feed pork bones to dogs or cats as cooked or raw they tend to splinter. My sister in law, now retired as a cat breeder, also told us from day one never feed pork bones to cats. Also true for cooked chicken bones which splinter. Raw chicken bones break up into little pieces similar to the pieces tempered glass breaks into. Our Stormy cat loves her raw chicken and has safely eaten it all her nearly 10 years. Her "sister" does not like raw chicken but likes to follow Stormy around and when those little nuggets of bone get dry she eats them happily.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby IrishIroamed » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:00 am

Growing up my family has always given table scraps, including beef & ham bones (no chicken or pork) to our 4-leggers. We've also given them spaghetti (warning - red mouth on fur if kid is hairy :P ). Zorro only gets a wee bit because he's got a weak stomach from being a stray for so long.

Mom is still fond of saying that their dogs growing up only got table food, because dog food didn't exist back then. Also, lots of people do the raw food diet for their pets. I don't think a little treat would hurt, unless the pet is finicky. Then he may want nothing but table scraps.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:06 am

NEVER give pork chop or steak bones because they splinter when they have been cooked. The only bones safe for dogs are round knuckle like bones. Raw chicken bones are okay but never cooked. I know people do give those bones to dogs with no problems BUT my luck would have my dog in surgery for sure. Better safe than sorry.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby FinallyTime » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:19 am

I always wondered about cooked chicken bones causing harm. I took an oven fried chicken out of the 375 degree oven and put the pan on the stove top. Then I went to find my husband to tell him dinner would be ready in a few minutes. I went back to the kitchen and my German Shepherd was watching me and groveling on the floor near the back door. I looked down and saw some aluminum foil on the floor then looked at the now empty pan on the stove top. The second my eyes went to the pan the dog was out the dog door and hiding under some bushes by the back fence. She had eaten the entire hot chicken, bones and all, in minutes. I was hoping it would make her sick, but it never had any effect.
FinallyTime

Postby gingerK » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:48 am

No bones! Even the knucklebones can cause stomach upsets and constipation.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby JudyJB » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:44 pm

After having to take our dog to the vet to get a fragment of bone pried from between two back teeth, she never even got beef bones again. It took pliers and two of us to hold the dog's head while vet pulled.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby Bethers » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:48 pm

I don't give Peaches bones, but she often gets something from my dinner plate as a treat IN HER BOWL after I'm done eating. Unfortunately, I always catch others sneaking her food - and now she begs. The little stinker. I'm very careful what she gets - but she likes spicy foods just like me :) (Often she gets a tiny bit of the sauce/gravy mixed with her dry kibble - and she will actually pick up the dry kibble and suck on it and then drop that piece and go for another lol).
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:51 pm

I knew about chicken bones but not pork...my dd's dogs get table scrapes but have never
wanted to give them to Shadow although I did give him a piece of string cheese once forgot about
that he liked it...thanks for the heads up on pork I didn't give it to him
sheila
snowball

Postby carold » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:07 am

Beth, you couldnt possibly be referring to tGM :lol: he would never let you see him slipping table scraps.
carold

Postby Bethers » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:47 am

carold wrote:Beth, you couldnt possibly be referring to tGM :lol: he would never let you see him slipping table scraps.

Hahaha. Ask your sister why, even though they invited Peaches to come during our dinner, I elected to keep her home. But at least she's a silent beggar.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby judi » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Before I started traveling in my RV i never gave my Koka table scraps and she never begged. Once I gave her just one little scrap she caught on, and now sits near anyone eating and waits for something to fall on the floor. If I give her scraps I always put it in her food bowl, but she still watches me eat and it sometimes bugs me. Who likes to be stared at while eating? I should have never given her one single little scrap!
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Postby MandysMom » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Have to tell a funny story on myself and our Russian Blue, TC ( bless her heart she left us to cross the Rainbow Bridge a while ago now). Years ago when my boys were young (and so were hubby and I!) we were sitting at the dinner table at a time of year when fresh corn was in season. Talking and enjoying supper. Suddenly I become aware the males in the family were all staring at me and the boys beginning to giggle. I was like What? Then noticed while I was talking between bites the cat had sneaked up on the window ledge beside my chair and while I was eating corn off one end of the ear she was sneaking bites off the other end! We all got a good laugh. That cat loved veggies and would try to sneak away with an ear of corn and hide behind the washer in the laundry room where you could hear her happily munching away. Only cat we had who loved all sorts of veggies, though one now likes applesauce and gets her own dab as a treat once in a while.
I grew up allowing my dogs a table teeat after we were done and my Grandparents fed leftover people food to critters before much animal food was available commercially ESP if you lived way out on a farm.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Velda, I love the corn story and the cat!

My last cat, Misha, loved certain foods, but we never knew that he loved bakery bread - or a least bakery bread from a specific bakery until my ex's cousin came with all kinds of baked bread, muffins, etc from her son's bakery. We were having a family reunion and she brought enough to last a week. Most went into a freezer, but we set (covered in original covering) muffins on the counter to use for morning breakfast. In the morning, it looked like possibly mice had somehow gotten onto that counter. The packages had little mouselike teeth marks on them, and muffins had been snacked on. Misha never went on the counter, so we didn't even consider him - but there were no turds, etc - we were so confused. Then, when we opened a fresh package, Misha ran up, jumped onto one of the stools at the counter and cried so loudly (begging) you would have thought he was dying. We quickly figured out it had been him, and he thought this stuff was the best stuff he'd ever tasted. Turns out ever baked item from that bakery was treated, by him, the same. We have no idea if they were sneaking catnip or something in their baked goods, but Misha was in heaven whenever we gave him a small piece.

And, never again did we leave anything from that bakery, even sealed, on a counter anywhere - it wasn't safe!

Judi, those staring eyes are pretty much what Peaches does now, also.
Beth
Bethers

Next

Return to Pets