Desperately Need Help to Train RVing Cat

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Re: Desperately Need Help to Train RVing Cat

Postby BarbaraRose » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:33 pm

When I was driving back to MN and stopped for the night at a motel, she slept with me on the bed, but hid under the bed in the morning while I was packing up, so I put her harness and leash on before she got off the bed and that way, if she was under the bed (king sized) when I was ready to leave, I could just grab her leash and pull her out. Might not work as well in the RV tho, but just a thought.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MandysMom » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:43 pm

It's a difficult thought but if you have an RV with slides, use an abundance of caution as a hiding cat can be killed by a moving slide as it closes. Have friends whose cat got up on top of the inside of the slide ( in a crevice they did not realize was large enough for a cat) and if not for the fact that they always keep a finger hovering over the buttons, when he howled they stopped it in time and he was scared but not injured as the slide moved. If we end up with a RV with slides it will be a rule for us, cats must be within vision of the person keeping hand on the button at all times if slide is to be moved.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby monik7 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:49 pm

MandysMom wrote:It's a difficult thought but if you have an RV with slides, use an abundance of caution as a hiding cat can be killed by a moving slide as it closes. Have friends whose cat got up on top of the inside of the slide ( in a crevice they did not realize was large enough for a cat) and if not for the fact that they always keep a finger hovering over the buttons, when he howled they stopped it in time and he was scared but not injured as the slide moved. If we end up with a RV with slides it will be a rule for us, cats must be within vision of the person keeping hand on the button at all times if slide is to be moved.
Velda

Velda, thanks for the warning. I'm still trying to visualize where your friends' cat was so I can check to see if I would have the same problem. So did the close call happen when putting the slide out?
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby MandysMom » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:17 pm

Sandi I think it was when they were going to close up. They have a big 40 ft Monaco and up top of the slide there was a panel I think which might be part of inside weather seal or not, I've not been in that coach since they bought it, but her hubby stepped up on couch and with his hand he found the area and got scared kitty out, but can't really block it because it folds as the slide moves or so I gathered from her description. She has several cats and they simply did not realize both that he was up there and that a space was accessible up there. Her cats often hide in a place under their bed during travel, where her DH cut a door for them and she put a bed and litter box. She did not realize that stinker had found a new place to hide. Thus I told my DH that if we get coach with a slide the rule is cats must be in sight of the person with hand on the button to move the slides. It's easier if you are the only person and can set yourself a rule, the slide does not move unless you can see the cat. If I had distractions such as children visiting or several cats, I might consider putting in kennel while moving slides and getting in and out of RV to prepare to move, then let them out during the actual travel. Ours did fine while we were moving but we were very careful (even so hubby had to chase his fur daughter a couple of times when he got careless inspite of my constant bugging him about it. We don't have slides in our bus, but one day he stood at the door with door open and ended up she leaped over him, out the door and onto grass and ran and played hide and seek with him for a few minutes. Yes he got a lecture. It's notable that neither son or I ever let her escape but husband did several times during that trip and he got lucky he caught her each time because she loves to lead you and stay just out of reach. She loves to walk on her harness and leash too. I can try to find the web page of the lady who made our Savannah walking jackets if you need that. I also found a nice foldable canvas like fabric large kennel I carried folded in the bus for when it was needed but folded flat for storage.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby gingerK » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:44 am

Ok, Sandi, some really good ideas have been offered here, but I'm going to take a completely different tack from everyone else; being as I'm a petsitter it's how I look at things. Cats love to be home. It's where they feel most secure and comfortable. They really don't mind being there alone as long as everything else in their world (read litter box, food and water) stays the same. I know you said you didn't want to ask a neighbor but I really recommend you look into hiring a professional petsitter. A bonded, insured professional sitter would be able to visit your cat at least one time a day and make certain everything's ok. Some sitters even have special rates for cat sits as they usually require very little in the way of labor (no dog walking!). Too bad you're not closer, I'd love to sit with Amy! I really enjoy my cat clients.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby monik7 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:07 pm

gingerK wrote:Ok, Sandi, some really good ideas have been offered here, but I'm going to take a completely different tack from everyone else; being as I'm a petsitter it's how I look at things. Cats love to be home. It's where they feel most secure and comfortable. They really don't mind being there alone as long as everything else in their world (read litter box, food and water) stays the same. I know you said you didn't want to ask a neighbor but I really recommend you look into hiring a professional petsitter. A bonded, insured professional sitter would be able to visit your cat at least one time a day and make certain everything's ok. Some sitters even have special rates for cat sits as they usually require very little in the way of labor (no dog walking!). Too bad you're not closer, I'd love to sit with Amy! I really enjoy my cat clients.

Thanks Kathy for the idea. I worry too much about my alarm. It's always set to go off instantly if the doors are opened, thus requiring a remote. The remote is very hard to hear from the outside. I just envision too many possible problems.
Sandi

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Postby FinallyTime » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:51 pm

I travel alone with my cat. Before I move the slides I put him in the bathroom - the bathroom doesn't move. He is an indoor only cat that turned up at my house during some stormy winter weather a few years ago. I was afraid to have him loose while driving so for the first couple of trips I put him in a big wire dog crate along with a soft rug and his cat bed. He yowled constantly and if I looked over to him he would put his paws through the wire and look pathetic. During a long drive I couldn't stand the noise any more and stopped at a rest stop and let him out into the motorhome. He strolled out and flopped down comfortably on a dinette cushion. I put him back in the crate and he started yowling the minute I started moving. The next rest stop I let him out and told him, this is it I can't take the noise anymore, if we get in a wreck you're toast. As soon as I turned on the ignition he ran to the bedroom and burrowed under the covers and slept there as long as the engine was running. That's now our routine. When I stop and set up, I pull back the covers, grab him and dump him in the bathroom. After the slides (3) are out, I let him out, and he strolls to the front and jumps on the dash to see where we are. Don't give up on your cat, he'll get used to the RV and treat it like a second home.
FinallyTime

Postby WickedLady » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:56 pm

I knew some Audubon people that had to take their older cat with them in the motorhome (no sitter) on a trip. He had never been in the MH before but he took right to it.
WickedLady

Postby monik7 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:34 pm

Today was Amy's first session in my RV. I had set up a litter box and put a pad and piece of remnant flannel material in a small place for a bed. I figured she'd want to go there since it's quite hidden. However, I had to put her there and she didn't stay. I let her walk around and she got fixated on being wrapped around the brake pedal and accelerator. After awhile I dragged her out and set her up on the mattress in the back that makes into the bed when the slide is out. She seemed to prefer being up above the floor. Eventually she jumped down and tried to get up front again by the brake. When I didn't let her go there she went back and jumped up on the mattress.

Have any of you had to deal with the issue of your cat wanting to hide near the brake pedal? I was thinking I could try to make a special board to keep her from going between the seats, but ultimately she could still get there by going between the side door and the seat. I'd rather not have to lock her up, especially because I don't know where I'd put a carrier.

We stayed 1 hr. and 25 minutes. One piece of progress was she only meowed in the car 3 times going home. That's a huge decrease from what she did on the way there. I'm going to try to take her every day hoping she'll get used to it.
Sandi

monik7

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:02 pm

Sounds like it didn't go too bad actually! Especially for the first time. Cats prefer to be up higher because they can see what is going on and feel more secure and safe. If you can figure out a way to make a bed higher up for her, that might work. Keep moving her away from the front, saying "no" and praising her for being in a better place in back (treats help encourage good behavior!). Even try using something noisy when ever she goes in the front to scare her (just a little) so she associates the front as a scary place and the back as a safe comfortable place.
Good luck!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MandysMom » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:16 pm

Take a tp tube and put a few beans in it and fold and tape the ends to make a rattle. Rattle it near her or toss it at the brake pedal every time she goes there but only there. She will come to associate that spot with the noise. Just wait a bit for her to be more comfortable with the rv first. I just know you and she will have fun together once she gets used to it. I have had success with a squirt gut too as though our cats will play in and with water they don't like being squirted. We have fabric car caves I bought at I think Costco or SAMs a few years ago that fold flat for a bed or open into a cave which our girls like to go in to sleep. Maybe you could find one for your fur baby to sleep in.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby snowball » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:38 pm

sounds like for the most part it went well...hope she will become acclimated to the rv so you can have
more freedom in taking trips
see you in January
sheila
snowball

Postby sharon » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:02 pm

gingerK wrote:Ok, Sandi, some really good ideas have been offered here, but I'm going to take a completely different tack from everyone else; being as I'm a petsitter it's how I look at things. Cats love to be home. It's where they feel most secure and comfortable. They really don't mind being there alone as long as everything else in their world (read litter box, food and water) stays the same. I know you said you didn't want to ask a neighbor but I really recommend you look into hiring a professional petsitter. A bonded, insured professional sitter would be able to visit your cat at least one time a day and make certain everything's ok. Some sitters even have special rates for cat sits as they usually require very little in the way of labor (no dog walking!). Too bad you're not closer, I'd love to sit with Amy! I really enjoy my cat clients.

Depends on the cat...the Samcat hates to be left at home alone. Even if one of the kids comes over and spends time with him every day. He just considers the rv his 2nd home. He's got about 75,000 miles under his furry butt.

Sandi, Amy will learn where she can and can't go..and under your feet is definitley where she can't. Good ideas for keeping her out of there. Flyswatter worked to keep Sam off the controls on my left. He learned pretty quickly. Amy will be fine! Not so sure about you, tho! LOL! Hugs, my friend!
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Kathy, I don't know what you chg to feed and check up on a cat, but in Healdsburg where my daughter lives, it is $25 per day!!! I suspect it may be that expensive where Sandi lives too. Stops my daughter from hiring anyone to care for her cat.
Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby gingerK » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:25 pm

Lyn, that is outrageous! Here in the Midwest it runs about $15. Must be everything is more expensive in CA.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

PreviousNext

Return to Pets