Bark collar

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Bark collar

Postby avalen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:43 am

Heres the one I bought, cheap enough and Maggie will get one too cause she certainly picked up a naughty habit
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Guardian-Bark ... ifications
don't know where I got the word static from, I think from reading the reviews.
But I don't think it causes any pain, just a little tingle like when you get a static shock from dragging your feet across
the carpet. I am happy with this purchase.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Re: Bark collar

Postby avalen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:19 am

ok, it got a good test this morning with everyone walking their dogs by the back fence, Scout would shake his head, it would
go off to the side a little and he would bark a little, I would straighten it up, tighten it up and then tied a neckerchief
around it and it stayed put. He barked, he yipped once or twice and that was it. I did take it off at night as the instructions
say to only wear it no more than 12 hours at a time. I'm hoping he will associate the neckerchief with the bark collar and
if just wearing the neckerchief maybe he won't bark. Maggie is still gonna get one too.
avalen

Postby Bethers » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:34 pm

avalen wrote:ok, it got a good test this morning with everyone walking their dogs by the back fence, Scout would shake his head, it would
go off to the side a little and he would bark a little, I would straighten it up, tighten it up and then tied a neckerchief
around it and it stayed put. He barked, he yipped once or twice and that was it. I did take it off at night as the instructions
say to only wear it no more than 12 hours at a time. I'm hoping he will associate the neckerchief with the bark collar and
if just wearing the neckerchief maybe he won't bark. Maggie is still gonna get one too.

Since they can't wear them all the time, maybe just loaning this one to Maggie will teach her quickly? And use the neckerchief with it so that she associates it, also - then they both might be quiet and only need it on if they make a mistake - just a thought.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:36 pm

thats crossed my mind Beth, but they have different size necks and I would have to adjust each time,
avalen

Postby avalen » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Maggie got her collar today, she yipped once and that was it. She ran for the door and sat there waiting for me.
I hated to have to do this but with all the activity lately it was a necessary evil. Now everyone that walks by can
enjoy their walk and I can enjoy a little peace and quiet again. All these different emotions wrapped up in one...
:evil: :( :P
avalen

Postby IrishIroamed » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Just thought I'd pass this along as an FYI - - - Zorro had major separation anxiety when I first got him. This is what the dog behaviorist suggested I try on him. Sure made the house smell good :lol:

http://www.petco.com/shop/searchresults.aspx?Ntt=citronella+bark+collar&x=0&y=0
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby avalen » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:03 pm

I was wanting to do the citronella one, but I was afraid it would be ineffective for the barking and just burn her eyes, and...
she seems to kind of like the citronella smell as thats what we use for mosquitos on the patio. But the collar worked and she hasn't barked all day. Maggie is a little more sensitive than Scout, he's bullheaded.
She is glued to me now and looking for reassurance. Scout on the other hand, well, it has
worked on him too but he keeps testing the limits and isn't freaked out about it. He can stand at the fence calmly and
watch the neighbors without barking at them. Well, Maggie does too now but she stays close. Scout has associated the
collar with the neckerchief and I use that on him without the collar and he is still a good boy. Will see what tomorrow
holds, this is really killing me but we can't have the barking getting out of control.
avalen

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Ava, glad to hear that is working good for both dogs. That was a great idea to put the neckerchief on with it so they associate that with the collar.

No one likes a constantly barking dog, especially if it isn't theirs. You are a good dog owner! I am sure your neighbors appreciate you for that.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby WickedLady » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Ava, I had to use an Ecollar on Boomer as he is very bullheaded. He was charging up to people and other dogs, now he is pretty good about not doing that but occasionally put the dummy collar on him just to remind him of his manners.
WickedLady

Postby bluepinecones » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:52 pm

Glad to see it is working.
Thankful Nicky is not usually a barker.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Redetotry » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:09 pm

I have three barkers and I think a collar is in their near future. I hadn't really noticed how many gadgets there were for the problem. We got a copy of In The Company of Dogs today and I noticed they have several advertised. One claims to eliminate barking up to 300 feet away for your dog or your neighbors. :) The cost is $99.95 though :!: Think I'll try something less expensive first...
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby bikerchic777 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Wow, Ava! That is great...and a great price! I lent my citronella one to Wendy, last year, for Pepper. It and a can of citronella, apparently, went to AL with her :( Unfortunately, it was a bit pricier. I would love to stop Rags from barking and carrying on so when I get home. Only problem is that he also does this weird sneezing thing and citronella would spray every time :lol: No chance of any mosquitoes within a mile!!! Thinking this collar might stop that weird habit, too. May give it a try. Thanks for sharing!
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Postby bikerchic777 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Oh, I also have one that beeps, but even I could hear it...even when they shook. Used it on Rags and Gizmo, in FL. They got numb to it.
Linda, Rags, and Brutus full-timing it in our 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini, Thumbelina.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
bikerchic777

Return to Pets