Pet adoption when fulltiming

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Pet adoption when fulltiming

Postby IrishIroamed » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:20 pm

Saw this video today - wierner dog happy in his forever home. Soooo sweet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlwFV_jmDHI

It made me wonder, if you full time, where do you get your dogs? I've seem some rescue groups that charge over $400 :o I agree shelters need to be selective with who adopts, but sometimes I think they are getting out of hand, with multiple at home visits before you can even adopt. If you don't have a S&B - do shelters let you adopt?
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Re: Pet adoption when fulltiming

Postby Bethers » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:09 am

All shelters have different rules. I was full time when I adopted Peaches. I don't argue with their costs, as I know what they lose financially on every dog, even with their high prices sometimes. Especially no kill shelters. That said, I do argue with some of their rules. Some won't adopt a dog to anyone without a house with a fenced in backyard, for example. Some will adopt to full-time rvers, some won't.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:44 am

When Sprinter adopted here little TedE we used my address as her "home" for just that reason. The SPCA here doesn't do home visits or that wouldn't have worked. I would call ahead and ask what their policy is. Maybe if you explain what fulltiming is, they will work with you. As for the expense, I agree that the fees at some places are so high a lot of people can't afford them but if that's true maybe you can't afford the upkeep of a dog as its not cheap. At one point Sophie was taking allergy medicine that cost me $92 a month.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Redetotry » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:28 am

Cheryl just in case you are interested in a little wiener dog, check this one out that is at a shelter here. I have him on my FB page too, he is so cute!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby IrishIroamed » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Thanks for the info ladies. Guess the prices I see on some rescue sites floor me because animal control & humane society where I got Zorro & Molly only charged $60

Oh no thanks for now BJ - not looking for another 4-legger right now, just wondering about the future
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby snowball » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:02 pm

I got mine from a shelter in Las Vegas and I full time
price wise it wasn't bad although in my searching had found those higher
prices...
sheila
snowball

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:05 pm

Maybe Liz will see this and respond.
Know she adopted a dog after she started full time (didn't work out and she returned him). Know it required references and she showed them photo history of travels with Roe over the years she shared with him.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby BayouLady » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:17 am

Sometimes it not only depends on the individual shelters rules but also what the dog requires.

As for the difference in prices, I can't speak for all rescues, but the one I volunteer at is no kill and a lot of the dogs that come in need medical care on top of being spayed/neutered and on heartworm preventative. We have had the stomach opened because one tried to digest a blanket, broken limps, eye needing removal, along with the heartworm treatments. Along with this, we also help people keep their pets by dropping off dog food and meds that they can't afford. The shelter I used to volunteer with, if a dog came in with any medical condition, they were put down after five days and they have a vet on staff! Also ARNO has picked up the vet bills for people that can't afford them. Yes, we get donations, have had a lot of fundraisers, but everything costs so when you look at the full picture, $200 adoption fee isn't anything.
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Bonnie, Alexis and BECK
ImageImage
BayouLady

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:01 am

And anyone serious about adopting a pet should also realize the coat of neutering on top of a round of shots, etc......The adoption fee is minimal considering the long term cost of owning an animal......
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby BayouLady » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:26 am

BirdbyBird wrote:And anyone serious about adopting a pet should also realize the coat of neutering on top of a round of shots, etc......The adoption fee is minimal considering the long term cost of owning an animal......

Totally agree!
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Bonnie, Alexis and BECK
ImageImage
BayouLady

Postby Liz » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:46 pm

bluepinecones wrote:Maybe Liz will see this and respond.
Know she adopted a dog after she started full time (didn't work out and she returned him). Know it required references and she showed them photo history of travels with Roe over the years she shared with him.

Yes, I shared my blog post about Roe's travels so the shelter would know what to expect of a traveling dog. The Humane Society where I got Thistle thought he would be a good fit for that lifestyle. They were right....he's a good traveling dog.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Return to Pets