Litterbox location?

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Litterbox location?

Postby MicheleP » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:03 pm

I was just wondering how many of you full time with cats, and what you do with the litterbox? We are going full time in July, And have 3 cats. Needless to say I'm a little nervous about it!
MicheleP

Re: Litterbox location?

Postby sharon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:45 pm

I only have one cat and it's just me so I put the Samcats litter box on the floor on the far side of the bed. When I did have someone joining me once in a while, I put the litter box under the steering wheel and draped a tablecloth over it so he had a little privacy. Plus it helped keep the dogs away from those delicious kitty cookies. :lol:
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby avalen » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:20 pm

guess it would depend on what type of rig you have and other things too. I did have to keep Maggie out of the "cookie" supply and I
have a shelf up high in the fifthwheel I put the litterbox on as well as the cat. She loves it up there and just hangs out.
I do know of some that put litterboxes in the bathtub but I do have a problem with that when sometimes the cat tosses litter out
the edge and it would end up in the bottom of the tub and probably down the holding tank.
If I had a class c and only me and the critters, I'd put the litterbox up above on a vinyl showercurtain or tablecloth spread out for litter control.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby WickedLady » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:02 pm

If you can give up the storage; a bottom cupboard can be used. Take off the door and put up curtains.
WickedLady

Postby FancyFree » Mon May 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Our fifth wheel had a laundry closet next to the bathroom closet. I didn't have a washer/dryer so we put the litter box on the floor of the laundry closet with adjustable shelves above it. Had to always remember to leave the door open a crack so Gracie could get in. We traded the 5r for a MH and I put the litter box under the steering wheel. Now that I am alone, I am in the process of trading the MH for another 5r and it also has a laundry closet so we are back to square one. I am also getting a very small Class B+ in the trade and will put the box in front of the passenger seat when we are traveling. Gracie's boxes don't have lids on them as I became concerned with her breathing in the dust from the litter. DH always used to bag her business until he lost his battle with lung cancer. Can't help but wonder if the dust contributed to the cancer. Oh, probably not......... I use a lid from a rectangular storage box as a tray under her litter box. Good luck figuring out something that will work for your and your kitty.
Fancy
FancyFree

Postby grammaann » Sat May 24, 2014 6:26 pm

So amazing, all the useful info I've found here. Many years ago a man said he used a cabinet behind the toilet (useless area he said). There was a door on it, so he cut an opening and put a kitty door in. Not sure how well it worked. We were at the RV place and got to talking about pets.
grammaann

Postby catzmom7 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:16 am

I have been wondering this myself. I read about one man that somehow set the boxes up in the basement area, and made a way for the cats to get down there. Does anyone know how this might be done?
[urlImage][/url]
catzmom7

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:50 pm

I found this from a past post by SeeYaGal. She has 2 cats and they had a door make to their basement compartment for the cats. Maybe you could contact her and see how they did that.

"We did make a doorway from the stairs to the basement compartment with a short tunnel so the litterbox was in the basement of our Tropi-Cal..." SeeYaGal
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby catzmom7 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:40 pm

Thanks!
[urlImage][/url]
catzmom7

Postby MsJane » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:44 am

After my cat had surgery regular cat litter wasn't allowed for a couple of weeks. The vet recommend using "Yesterday's New" litter that looks like pellets instead of sand. I ended up buying Petco's brand of it and after getting used to the difference I really like it. There's no dust when adding it to the box. Dumping the box is easier and much lighter to carry.

The only down side is that it comes in large bags like pet food at Costco.
MsJane

Postby Terri822 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:08 pm

I keep it in the shower of my motor home. I keep something over the drain to keep litter and dust from going down it and sweep it out before using the shower (after removing the litter box of course). This is the third motor home I've used the shower for the litter box and haven't' had a problem. Of course maybe I don't keep them long enough? Now that I'm full timing it will be a test of time that I hope I pass.
Terri822

Postby langfanatic » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm looking at RVs I keep this in mind. One thought I had was to put one on the floor in front of the passenger seat. But, it's just me, so I can do that. I've also considered under the table. I kind of like the shower idea also. I have 3 cats and would like to have 2 litter boxes. One of my cats is blind so at least one has to be where she can find it!
langfanatic

Postby Rvlifeontheroad » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Oh mercy. This is the one thing I kept in mind while looking for my first tt.

I'll either have 2 cats and a dog with me or I'll have 3 cats. I'm one of those who look for a place to live around my babies.

My tt is a 1969 Shasta. Fairly small. In the back between the lower long bench and cabinet is the perfect space for a litter box. 'Course, I don't use a normal litter box. I use one of those plastic containers with wheels that slides under the bed.

I have a 13 yr old, April, who is shall we say, spoiled (read b*tch, lol) and will not use a litter box if it's not clean. My other baby is Thomas and he turned 1 back in April. He has CH (Cerebellar Hypoplasia) from distemper and doesn't have good use of his hind legs. He needs the biggest box possible in case he falls while going. I have a piece of linoleum to put under the box because it doesn't matter how big a space you give them, April can't seem to keep her bottom from hanging over the side.
I'm also purchasing a screen tent for them when weather permits. I'll have one of those small boxes for that.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do
Rvlifeontheroad

Postby KatIndi » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:34 am

One time I saw on TV, someone made a path to the "basement" and they also screen the outside of it so when they camp, they can open the doors and the cats can enjoy the "outdoor" without getting out. I seem to recall that they even have "extension" attached...One area was devoted to litter box and rest of the area has perches and scratching post. That was awesome...

That was quite a while ago so I cannot remember the name of the show...nor what channel it was.

Kat & Indi (wuf!)
KatIndi

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Here is a link to the story about the "rolling cat condo"....

http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.co ... ittens.php
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to Pets