IQ test should be a requirement

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

IQ test should be a requirement

Postby Echo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:23 pm

Found this from a news article I was reading earlier, it was in a side bar thing.

I swear they should make it a requirement to take an IQ test before people get a pet. I can still be shocked at the stupidity and cruelty of people. No sense, no brains and no heart.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081215/od ... 1215192235
Echo
Who is a work camper of 4 seasons,
and now has a truck & travel trailer to live in!
Co-horts: daughter Kelly & 'Shade' the Pom.

Echo

Re: IQ test should be a requirement

Postby Bethers » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:16 pm

Oh, I can't even begin to tell you many of the excuses I heard at the humane society. Sometimes I even cried. Sometimes I wanted to smack the people - good thing I'm non-violent, though. Time I really cried - man brought in a 4 year old dog - kids and wife still fighting him - as the dog was their pet - the man used the dog for 2 weeks a year for hunting. The dog got injured when out hunting with him - the vet told the man that the dog would no longer be able to hunt - so he was bringing him in - with no regard to the family who loved the dog - if the dog wouldn't hunt, then he was useless. Yes, we got the dog who got a new home - and I cried for the kids and wife who loved that dog but "Dad" was the boss. Some boss!

Or how about the people who came in and told us to put their dog to sleep. We asked if the dog was mean or had bit anyone, etc. Nope - they said they were moving and couldn't take the dog with and if they couldn't have her, neither could anyone else. (We did NOT put this dog to sleep.)

How about the person who brought in their dog, just cuz she was getting old and they didn't think they could handle it if she died on them. Huh??? The dog was, if memory serves me correct, about 12 or 13 years old - and would be almost impossible to place - because of other problems - so they were pretty much ready to sign a death warrant. Luckily we did find a home - but it was hard work and lots of luck.

Oh, I don't want to think of these stories now - but, yeah, it's sick and sad -
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:33 pm

Makes you wonder doesn't it,... what if the wife or one of the kids had a broken leg,..... ooops,... gotta get rid of them! People like that man should be the ones sent away!
Cedar518

Postby islandmomma » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:27 pm

Yes, this sort of thing upsets me a lot. Hope it is OK to post a link that is related in a way and really got me thinking a few weeks ago...

http://www.hsus.org/about_us/celebrity_ ... ie_in.html

jan
islandmomma

Location: Vancouver Island, BC is my home base but have been 'on the road' since April 18, 2009

Return to Pets