My New addition...

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

My New addition...

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon May 29, 2023 2:19 am

So I have noticed that Romeow is bored lately. I play with him when I can but he usually sleeps a lot and it still gaining a little weight. So I decided it would do him some good to have a little sister to play with. He seems to love all the stray cats that come to visit on the deck so I know he likes other cats. He seems sad when they leave, especially the black one he has a special interest in.

I have been looking online for kitties that would be a good fit. I looked at kittens but really want a smaller female and with kittens you just never know how big they will get. On Saturday, I went to check out the county shelter not far from here. I saw a kitty on their website that looked interesting. I checked her out and asked to spend some time with her in a room. She was a little scruffy and thin but was a stray that someone brought in either pregnant or just had kittens a couple months ago. They were all in foster care until the kittens were old enough for new homes. Mom went to the shelter for adoption about 2 weeks ago. No one else has shown any interest in her so far. This is a "kill" shelter so I am glad I can get her out of there.

Well, she seems very sweet and friendly, cuddly, and very laid back. She is a little thing like Lola was and looks a lot like her but is more tortie than tabby. The guy I was working with took her around to the other cats in the kennels and she didn't react to any of them when they came up to the front of the kennel. She showed no aggression, hissing, or even much interest, which is a good sign. So I decided to adopt her!

She will get spayed on Wednesday morning and I will pick her up in the afternoon. I opted for a feline leukemia test since she was a stray, and that came back negative. She will have all shots and a microchip as well, when I pick her up. All of that including the spay came to only $24. :D Her name is Adele but I will change that. Am thinking of Juliet...?

I have a small pet screen room I had bought for Lola that I have set up in my living room. It is big enough (4ft in diameter) for an enclosed bed, litter box, food dish and toys. With her in there, she and Romeow can get aquainted thru the screen while I supervise. I am hoping it goes well! :D I think Romeow already knows something is up. He is being extra loving and wanting attention.

Anyways, here is the photo of her from the shelter website. I figured she was pretty easy-going to lay there so casual with the beads around her neck for the photo.

Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: My New addition...

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon May 29, 2023 10:30 am

Any name ideas would be appreciated! :D
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Cudedog » Mon May 29, 2023 10:45 am

Congrats, Barbie. I hope she works out for you. She does look a little underweight in the photo, but I am sure that will change. I also, at this stage of my life, I think I would prefer to adopt an adult pet rather than a puppy or kitten.

I kind of like "Juliet", as you suggested. I actually also like "Adele" - kind of fits her, I think.

Just as an aside. . . now, in my "older years" I often wonder if it is being kind or fair to our singleton pets to not be allowed to live with/associate with others of their own species. I am NOT making a judgement call on anyone here - after all, my own sweet Joe boy has been an "only dog" for many years - but I do ponder about this.

Is it a minor cruelty to keep them always alone (except for their time spent with us)?

I dunno. Just something I have been kicking around lately.

Would appreciate anyone else's thoughts. Might be an interesting topic for conversation.

Thanks.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby BarbaraRose » Mon May 29, 2023 11:53 am

I think it depends on the animal. Lola hated other cats and preferred to be an only cat. I think Romeow came from a home with other cats (that is what I was told) so I think he missed that companionship. Dogs I think are different and develop a close bond with their owners (thinking of Beth and Ty) and don't need another companion.

I think it also depends on how much time the owner has to spend with the animal. Retired people have a lot more time to spend with them than those who work all day. Especially dogs with separation anxiety being alone all day can be very destructive and sometimes do better with another dog around.

When I had ferrets, I always had 2 or three at a time. They are very social animals and need the companionship of other ferrets. A single ferret can get very depressed even with an owner who spends a lot of time with them.

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon May 29, 2023 12:51 pm

I agree that it depends on the animal. When I got my dog Blossom she came from a breeder where all the dogs were together. She came home with me and immediately settled in as an only dog. I think she enjoyed the peace and quiet. I got her at 6yrs old. She had had 2 litters (one pup was Laura's dog Harley who started this Tibbie thing LOL) was spayed and up to date with her vaccines. She was very social with all the other dogs at the dog park, actually she didn't really interact much with them but would check them out and then go about her business. After she passed I got Emma. She really missed her littermates at first but did not take her long to replace them with me ha ha I would have never gotten a 10 week old puppy if I was still working. She required alot of my time LOL housebreaking took a while. She loves other dogs once she gets to know there is no stranger danger. But in my mind pesters them to death. She is very social tho. Most of her buddy dogs just ignore her after a couple of minutes and walk away. After about 5 minutes she settles down. She is perfectly content being an only dog. I would love another puppy or a playmate for her at times. But I can take ONE dog to my friends houses, travel, etc. The other issue is these dogs live a longer life as a small dog so at my age the only answer would be an older dog....but I have made a choice who would take Emma in the event of my demise and one dog is the deal!!! I think Emma is a very happy little dog, we have playtime (all 5 minutes of it is all she wants) she likes being out in the yard with me. Otherwise she follows me all around the house and if I sit down she is curled up in the recliner next to me. Rough life.
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Irmi » Mon May 29, 2023 1:11 pm

Barbie, that is so nice of you to take another cat in! It's amazing how much she looks like Lola!
Irmi

Postby Bethers » Mon May 29, 2023 4:43 pm

Barbie, adorable kitty.

When I had Moxie she had separation anxiety, really bad. So we adopted Tips. Moxie soon got over her separation anxiety, but still preferred my company. Tips loved me but listened to Moxie. Lol Moxie left this world before Tips and he quit eating. So I adopted Peaches. She had lots of problems. He helped her but it was always obvious that she really only wanted me. When Tips passed she quickly became happy as an only dog. By that time she was a totally different dog then she had been when adopted. And whether she would have admitted it, the 6 months she shared with Tips were critical in her becoming used to people and other animals. And now there's Ty. I sometimes think he deserves another dog. And other times I see him enjoy playing with another dog and then come to me like ok, that was fun, let's go home now. Ty has so much energy and I'm not sure I could handle 2 dogs with this energy. And we are quite the pair. Ty actually prefers making human friends to other dogs. And I promise I'm not bringing another human home lol

We could have the same discussion about families with one child or multiple children. There's no set answer. At least that I know of.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Mon May 29, 2023 11:58 pm

I really think that is the answer it depends upon the dog or cat or bird but also on the human... I honestly don't think that I could have handled another dog with Shadow... and I don't think he would have been good with another in the home... he was way to nervous but then maybe it would have helped...
it is just a really personal decision ...
Barbi she is really cute hopefully they will come to enjoy each other ...
my dd had a cat for a period of time I don't remember how long her best friend wanted a cat so dd got one for her but it didn't work out so dd ended up with the new kitty as well they didn't like each other for a long time... finally got so that they tolerated each other then became pals or at least they didn't hiss at each other unless KeeKee was being the Alpha
when KeeKee died Killer was sad but it can take a long time before they get close ...
sheila
snowball

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Tue May 30, 2023 7:19 pm

Very pretty kitty, hope it works out well
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Postby Pooker » Wed May 31, 2023 9:09 am

Barbie - your new addition looks like a sweetie. Since Romeow spells his name a little differently, how about Drooliet? Sorry, couldn't resist!

I always thought animals are a lot more adaptable than we give them credit for. When I took the roof off my RV in Texas (yes, for you newer gals, I did that), there was no way my two cats could stay inside safely. There was no choice but for me and the two cats to bunk in with Sharon, her dog and her cat. We had to make a WM run to pick up tarps, tape, etc. before the expected rain arrived, so we tossed animals in, locked the door, and hoped for the best. I just knew Sharon's beautiful rig would be trashed when we got back. When we opened her door, there was one cat in one corner, another one in a different corner, dog on the bed, etc. Each had their private space and had come to some sort of agreement.

My DH and I were packed and ready for one of our Great Adventures when we inherited not one, but two cats within a week! We headed out with two brand new kitties hoping for the best, but preparing as best we could for the worst. After a day or two of yelling, they actually settled down and our long trip was very good. They, too, worked out an agreement, I guess.

Perhaps I have just been lucky, because I'm not sure Elsa would manage as well. I adopted her from a friend who rescues anything with fur, I swear. She had to keep Elsa in the sunroom by herself because she attacked the other cats. I promised she could be an only child when I took her. Well, now my son and DIL have moved in, initially with 4 more cats. Two have since had to go to the Rainbow Bridge, but the remaining two stay in the master suite with them all the time. Once a day, I enclose Elsa in my room and we let their cats out to roam. I'm afraid to introduce her to them. I'd feel terrible if she scratched an eye out or something. So we're managing.

Evie
Evie
Southern California
Pooker

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed May 31, 2023 11:07 am

When I took the roof off my RV in Texas (yes, for you newer gals, I did that)

OK, do tell... :lol:

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby JudyJB » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:29 am

My younger son bought his cat a kitten and all they ever did is hiss at each other

My other son has three cats—one very Old cat who sleeps
In my grandsons room and has her own food bowls and litterbox in there.

And the two younger cats who are siblings completely ignore each other. They don’t even look at one another and each sleeps with a different person. Heaven help the cat who goes into the wrong bedroom! So when I do get a cat it will be just one.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Redetotry » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:28 pm

She is very pretty Barbie. I hope she and Romeow will be friends. My two older dogs still ignore Pippa, well unless Toby decides to growl at her. Emma just pretends she doesn't see her at all ,it is really strange to watch.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Return to Pets