Dremel for Dogs' Nails

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Dremel for Dogs' Nails

Postby monik7 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:30 pm

I need to find something to trim my dogs' nails. I looked on Amazon at the Dremel 7300-PT Pet Nail Grooming Tool - $29.99. I was wondering if I could get an opinion from some of you as to whether this is a good choice or if there's something better. Thanks.
Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Re: Drexel for Dogs' Nails

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Most of us with multiple dogs that show just get a regular Dremel and use the sanding discs. It may be a bit more pricy but in my past experience they last a lot longer. I have bought cheaper "pet" brands and not been satisfied but as of now I couldn't tell you the brand. I have bought the cordless Dremels and again over the years have not been happy with their performance, particularly their batteries. I finally settled on one with an electric cord. I don't have to worry that it will run out of power before I run out of dog paws at my house anyway. It has multiple speeds and I run it on one of the lower speeds..... I won't tell you about the diamond disc I purchased at the show in Lexington the beginning of the month....some $$ spent on dog related items is not meant to be tracked..... :shock:
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Re: Dremel for Dogs' Nails

Postby monik7 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Tina, do you have to get the sanding discs separate or do they come with the tool? Also, does it have variable speeds and how noisy is it? Do you think your more expensive regular Dremel is cost effective for the regular user like me who's not going to be using it as much as those like you on the show circuit? Thanks.
Sandi

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:29 am

Sometimes I look at what a product can do rather than just the cost. It is also why I learned a long time ago to purchase good clippers. I can't answer the question for you. But I can ask some. You currently have two dogs. As you get older do you plan to always have a dog/s in your life? The nails of any smaller dogs I have had (or spayed females) seem to grow faster than the others. I should probably do Remi's every week. And yes I do Josef's before every show but all of them get theirs done at least once a month. It is easier to keep the nails short than it is to try to get them shortened once the "quick" has grown out with the nail....

You can buy a small package of the discs separately. I didn't change out the discs very often. The one I have now has variable speeds but I usually don't move it past 2. Yes it makes some noise, there are probably more expensive ones that are quieter but my dogs all got used to it quickly. Some folks recommend giving a small treat after each paw or nail in the beginning so that some of procedure is good to look forward to. Mine just feel relieved to get free with all four paws attached.... :roll: I remind them that they are not being mistreated and they can not call the shelter with a protest....By now they are resigned to the process and suck it up until they can get up and dance across the floor without "clicky clicks" and I tell then how wonderful they are.

Karen just got a battery operated Dremel to borrow and try. Maybe she will shared how it works for her.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby OregonLuvr » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:57 pm

My groomer gave me a Dremel she had but I havent used it yet as Emma just got her nails done and a bath but I will surely give you an update on how it goes. She gave me some extra thingys too lol I dont know what they are called. She did say they were 240 grit whatever that means LOL
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby WickedLady » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:00 pm

I used a regular Dremel on my show dogs and used it for years after on any dog I got. gave a treat each time to make it a pleasant chore. Finally wore it out.
WickedLady

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:19 am

I have a regular dremel, battery operated (rechargable) that I've used for years on Sophie and my two labs before. I especially like to on the thick nails of bigger dogs. I buy the sanding discs extra and they last a pretty long time.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby monik7 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:03 pm

I ordered the Dremel Pet Groomer version. I had a gift card balance and wanted to use it up. I love Amazon. It arrived on my doorstep on Sunday a little less than 36 hours after ordering. I tried it on Bindi today and she was a champ. It’s very quiet and didn’t take me long to get the hang of it. Now she doesn’t have to hesitate and tippy-toe on my hardwood floors. Thanks for everyone’s input.
Sandi

monik7

Return to Pets