Look at Amy!!!

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Look at Amy!!!

Postby monik7 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:27 pm

Remember how worried I was when Amy took her first RV trip in March? Well now she's on her 3rd trip and today she wore a harness for the first time; today she let me attach a leash; today she put her feet on the ground (at the Oregon GTG) for the first time since she was rescued as a 3-week old kitten (she's always been an inside cat); and today she took a walk on leash and smelled wild flowers and lots of other interesting things. I'm so proud of her. So many firsts at 13 1/2 years old! Sorry I don't know how to make the pic smaller :oops: .

Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Re: Look at Amy!!!

Postby avalen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:57 pm

oh how cute, bless her little heart, what a brave kitty
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Rufflesgurl » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:40 pm

Maybe Amy is a natural RVer?? Sure looks like she is.

Linda
Rufflesgurl

Postby Bethers » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:36 pm

Yay, Amy. Beautiful girl (and the pic is not too big).
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:51 pm

love the look in Amy's eyes!!! it's either come on what you waiting for or what are we doing??? :lol:
she has done so well for one who wouldn't go to the vet with out voicing disapproval
good going Amy
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:45 am

How fun to introduce her to a world of smells and textures she has only seen through glass before.
MandysMom

Postby grammynmaggie » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:05 am

a brave kitty for sure...she looks happy ...
grammynmaggie

Postby IrishIroamed » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:08 am

Yay for Amy! Her expression is pricesless. Our furkids do amaze us don't they?
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby cnq50b » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:32 am

Aw, that is so sweet.
What a tribute to her bravery & more so for your patience & willingness to let her proceed at her own pace (with your gentle encouragement).
Way to go, Amy! Way to go, Sandi! :D
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby gingerK » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:55 am

Oh Amy what a brave and beautiful girl you are! Congrats on finding a whole new world!
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby judi » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:00 am

Wish I was there to see her!
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Postby Cudedog » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:04 am

Sandi:

Really beautiful picture. I love the flowers in the background, and your kitty in the foreground.

I'm not on here every day, so I miss a lot of the posts - so maybe you have posted this before - but would very much appreciate knowing how you made Amy comfortable with travelling.

I am hoping to travel to Yellowstone and points beyond later this year. My sweet Rod will likely be gone by then (if he is still here I will not go on my trip) but I do anticipate travelling with my Girl dog. I also have an older kitty, Miss Kitty (original names, yes? :lol: ).

I had hoped to leave her with friends, but it looks like that is not going to pan out. My other options are to board her somewhere (very expensive!) or just take her with me. The space in my van is pretty limited, I think she would need to stay in a large dog crate while I am behind the wheel because I worry about her getting underfoot where the brake pedal and the gas pedal is (my dog will also be crated). I plan on driving about 4 - 5 hours per day, so there will be lots of out-of-the-van time.

Anyway, how did you do it? Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Queen » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:28 am

What a beautiful kitty and a wonderful picture!
~Mickie & Mary
Queen

Postby dpf » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:36 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: The song that goes "How ya going to keep them down on the farm once they've seen Pariee" comes to mind! Amy's world is getting larger! You might have opened a new can of worms! :P

Edit: Picture is not too large!
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby monik7 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:46 am

Cudedog wrote:Anyway, how did you do it? Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
Anne

Anne, a few months ago I would have never guessed I'd be one to give advice on traveling with a cat. My daughter didn't want to take her anymore and the kennel was way too expensive. Plus she hated the kennel and my daughter provided very little care to her, even leaving her without water for several days once. The main thing I knew was that my cat would get sick if I left her in her small carrier. I didn't want to get a larger crate because of space issues. I decided to leave her loose in my rig. I got some of the plastic used for drop cloths when you paint and put that on my mattress with a couple towels on top. This was just in case she threw up. I make sure to give her no food in the morning before leaving. That hasn't prevented all throw ups, but has reduced what comes up if it does happen. The towels are easy to wipe off if needed. She stays pretty much in one place on the mattress while driving. Never once has she come up front by me. She has even used the litter box while we were driving. Going out on the leash and seeing a new world has been the last step in her introduction to traveling. She's 13 1/2 so she's proof older cats can learn new things. This morning on her little walk, she even stopped to completely roll over on her back on the cement.

I hope this helps as I was very thankful for the suggestions given to me by forum members before our March trip which was her first. Let me know if I can help anymore or answer any questions.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Return to Pets