Goodbye to Cranberry

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Goodbye to Cranberry

Postby linann » Sat May 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Cranberry cat is gone. Last month, she was killed by a bobcat that came onto our property. It took several days to figure out what happened after she went missing, but a neighbor found evidence of her fur in the woods behind our barn. So sad, for Cranberry, my sweet, loveable cat who spent her days peacefully sleeping on a large branch in her favorite tree. I brought her inside at night and never thought she was in danger during the day.

We have lots of wildlife in the area, but I didn't know about the bobcat. Since then, our remaining cat, Sara, is in the house full-time, much to her displeasure. I take her out early every morning and in the evening. Sara is not on a leash, but stays close to me. It is not ideal, but I am doing my best to keep her safe.

My sister saw the bobcat in our yard a week after Cranberry was killed. The bobcat came out of a stand of trees only 100 feet from the side garage when she came home around noon. When DS warned our neighbor across the road about the bobcat, she said she saw a coyote running across their property towards the lake. Early last Sunday morning, I was on the back porch with Sara cat and glimpsed an unusual animal on the tree farm next to us. It was a large coyote loping between the trees heading to a large stand of oak trees and underbrush.

Another neighbor, who takes his dog for long walks all around the area, including our property, said he saw the bobcat in the woods by the lake, and also a pair of coyotes on our property six weeks ago. He didn't tell us because he did not think the cat was in danger from the coyotes since she is always in her tree. He was afraid I would call animal control who would send out trackers with steel traps because bobcats and coyotes will not go into the cages. There has been so much construction near us that the wild animals are being displaced to where our area because there is wooded acreage and a fresh water lake nearby. We believe the bobcat has a new litter and the coyotes may also have babies. It is the right time of year for babies and explains why there are so few bunnies running around now and the raccoons I hate have moved elsewhere.

I really love living in the country, but it is so sad that my cats can no longer be safe outside.
Linann
Live boldly one day at a time
linann

Re: Goodbye to Cranberry

Postby Bethers » Sat May 09, 2015 3:39 pm

So sorry about Cranberry.

I learned years and years ago that cats on farms, open land, even when I was a child back then, lived much shorter lives outside. That said, it doesn't make the pain any less - and it's too bad that the cats cannot enjoy their freedom. Your a good Mom, and you gave Cranberry a wonderful life as you still are for Sara.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Sat May 09, 2015 4:32 pm

So sorry to hear this. Sounds like you're doing the right thing for Sara.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat May 09, 2015 5:32 pm

It is so hard to honor the life our cats want to live with the hostle wilds that sometimes wait for them outside. (Hugs) and a toast to Cranberry.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Redetotry » Sat May 09, 2015 8:08 pm

I'm so sorry about Cranberry. We have many more animals in our neighborhood too as they build homes and clear more farmland nearby. You are doing what is best for Sara by keeping her close, the other problem in having the Bobcats if you also have ticks in your area, is that the Bobcats pass a disease to ticks and the ticks spread it to cats. It takes them very quickly. At least that is what has been happening up here. ((((HUGS))))
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby retiredhappy » Sat May 09, 2015 10:08 pm

So sorry about Cranberry. I am glad that your first reaction wasn't to kill the bobcat or coyotes. the poor wildlife is being displaced more and more by humans taking their territory. God meant for there to be a natural balance but humans destroy that balance. As for ticks, almost every wild animal has ticks so I will be using flea and tick medicine when I move to the country and of course, continue with heart worm medicine.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby IrishIroamed » Sun May 10, 2015 6:59 am

How sad about Cranberry and glad you are keeping Sara close. Sending (((hugs)))
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby grammynmaggie » Sun May 10, 2015 7:57 am

Awww...so sorry about cranberry remember you telling me that she was missing...don't forget about birds of prey remember the one his eye on Maggie when we were over there ....
grammynmaggie

Postby bluepinecones » Sun May 10, 2015 8:41 am

I am so sorry about Cranberry. I remember her sunning on that tree limb and found this photo from my visit a year or two ago.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby gingerK » Sun May 10, 2015 11:14 am

So very sorry to hear about Cranberry. I have lost many barn cats to predators over the years, that is why I no longer have any. Hurts to lose any of my critters.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby WickedLady » Sun May 10, 2015 1:28 pm

Sorry for your loss of your furkid, Cranberry.
WickedLady

Postby linann » Sun May 10, 2015 6:26 pm

Sarah, thank you for posting the photo of Cranberry in her tree. It is difficult to look out back and see that tree every day.

Donna, the bird you saw was an immature bald eagle. They are several years old before their head turns white. Later found out a pair of eagles have a nest on the back of the property across from us and have babies every year. Lots of fun to see the animals, until something bad happens. I heard weird howling last night. Not sure if it was dogs or coyotes, but I am not taking any chances.
Linann
Live boldly one day at a time
linann

Postby dayspring39 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:13 pm

So sorry for your loss... Oh what a nice gesture Sarah... Cranberry was one beautiful cat!
Kathleen or Kathy

Use today wisely it's all you have; yesterday is a memory; tomorrow a dream... KLW[/b][/color]
dayspring39

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri May 15, 2015 2:31 pm

Awww! So very sorry to hear about Cranberry! It is so hard to lose our furkids!

We have had coyotes moving into this area now for the past several years and pets go missing from time to time around here. Now I heard that there was a mountain lion sighting nearby last week. Very unusual to have them anywhere in MN, let alone down here near the cities. Had one hanging around about 20 years ago but then it moved on and was never seen again.

I guess when you choose to live out in the country, you have to learn to live with the wildlife there, since that is there home too. Nature isn't always kind but that is how it goes. Just have to take more precautions like you are now doing with Sara.

Hugs!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Return to Pets