Dog Flu

Ask Questions, Post Info, Post Pictures - Show off your Pets

Dog Flu

Postby MandysMom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:46 am

Tonight on the news they had a story about a dog flu, normally seen only in Asia, which is spreading through the Midwest. Said over a thousand cases and six dogs have died. It can spread also to cats as well. Gave a list of symptoms including lethargy and fever and said if it reaches your area and your pet has symptoms, contact vet right away. Said there is no vaccine to this strain but they believe a general flu vaccine may at least help. Like other people they interviewed I had never heard of dog flu. They are closing dog parks and warning people in areas to which it has spread they said and warned people if you know someone who has traveled with their dog to the Midwest to keep your pets away. anyone else heard about this?
Velda
MandysMom

Re: Dog Flu

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:47 am

Yes, it has been posted on several of the "dog" related forums. My vet also sent out an e-mail. There is a vaccine available and he has given it in the past but since this particular strain hadn't shown up in the Ohio area in the last few years he had discontinued recommending it in the past but now does have it available again. If you have any question ask your vet.

The dogs and I were recently in DeKalb, IL (just west of Chicago) for the dog show. We did not see or hear any thing suspicious in the hundreds of show dogs around us. The flu strain is real. It is a threat just like the flu is to humans but just use common sense. You can also go out on the university animal/veterinarian web sites like Cornell's or Ohio State's and get good information.

Stop and think also. They state that they have had a thousand cases and have had 6 dogs die. Ever think how many dogs die each week from other serious respiratory or infectious illnesses? The other scary thing is how "sick" some folks allow their dog to get before they are willing to spend money and get a vet's help/opinion. They notice symptoms but ignore them and "wait"....until their dog is at death's door and then wonder why/how the doctor and interventions can't save their beloved pet....

Just my observations....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby gingerK » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:04 am

It's real and it's here in IL. The cases are climbing and the vets in Chicago think this will be worse than the outbreak in '08. I too, have heard there is no vaccine for this particular strain. I have also had one of my clients "claim" her dogs have had it, although I am skeptical. I saw no symptoms such as were described in these dogs, so I question the diagnosis was accurate or that the client understood what the vet was telling her.

There is truth to what Tina says, about how owners neglect to get prompt care for their pets. I've seen this in many cases when I worked at the vet clinic and in other instances and not just with dogs and cats but in horses, too. How someone can have an animal and neglect to provide the proper care for it is beyond my imagining. My own animals get their breakfast before I do!

As with any outbreak, common sense should tell owners to avoid situations where their pets could contact this illness. I've also heard that the virus can survive 24 hrs. on clothing and hard surfaces, so I routinely change my clothes and wash my hands after I've handled clients pets. I also do not allow any close contact between clients' pets and other unknown pets we may encounter while out on the street.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby sharon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Info from my vet.....

More info on the canine influenza outbreak. Virus isolation was performed and the virus is the H3N2 strain. The vaccine is H3N8 strain. Unlike human vaccine manufacturers that change the vaccine strain based on predictions, it doesn't work that way in the veterinary field. The only flu vaccine available does not appear to cover the current strain in the outbreak and the vaccines are not changed to meet current strains. So basically, good sense must prevail. Minimize exposure to unknown dogs and where dogs will congregate. Wash your hands after petting a non-family dog. Keep current on vaccines.....many dogs that are getting sick are sick because of other respiratory diseases. Dr. Z
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby SoCalGalcas » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:36 am

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this info...I hadn't heard. lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Return to Pets